Pittsburgh Penguins All-Time Draft - (Round 25)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pittsburgh Penguins All-Time Draft - (Round 1)

Post by Rylan »

With the 4th overall pick in the draft, the Degloving Kings are proud to select:

Evgeni Malkin out of Magnitogorsk, Russia

3 Time First Team All-Star
Calder Trophy
2x Art Ross Trophy
1x Hart Memorial
1x Ted Lindsey Award
1x Conn Smythe
3x Team MVP
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Thank you, Rylan. I don't know how to look at this really...Evgeni Malkin is a three-time First-Team All-Star at Crosby's position despite having less time in the league. I know Crosby has had some injury problems and is overall the better player (including defense, leadership, etc.) but in terms of actual accomplishments...Malkin has a more than fair case to be the third best player in Penguins history as it stands right now.

I feel there's a small handful of guys in the next the small handful of picks that make sense here but it'll be interesting to see who goes "first" now that the real draft has begun...this is where it gets interesting I feel...

The first four guys are HHOFers just based on their Penguin careers. I don't think there's anyone else left that can make that claim using their time in Pittsburgh alone.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Except Kevin Hatcher.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Muck, Grind, & Repeat would like to thank mikey for putting this together. We'd like to thank our fans. It is with pleasure, that with the 5th overall pick in this years all-time Penguin draft, we select Kevin Hatcher Ron Francis

Mr. Francis will also serve as team captain AND assistant coach. Don't let his three Lady Bing's fool you, he is hard nosed grinder with surprisingly soft mitts. He once shook a man's hand to death.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So that leaves me at the 6th and 7th picks. I can make one of them now, but need more time to make my second selection...

We would first like to think the great city of El Gippie for their hospitality in holding the draft. Also I'd like to give a shoutout our fans back home watching this at Scrappy's Bar and Grill (as well as on the big screen outside the arena), and we would also like to congratulate... wait, what do you mean there's no prior champion?

Without Freddy Adu (wrong sport), the currently unnamed team selects the 2nd greatest defenseman of all-time, Paul Coffey. A true revolutionary in the game, building on the foundation laid by Bobby Orr.

And I'm going to need to do some searching later for my 2nd pick. I have a few names in mind, but I want to make a good decision.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Did you know Paul Coffey invented foot binding? Crazy, I know.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pittsburgh Penguins All-Time Draft - (Round 2)

Post by mikey287 »

Great job guys!

Made a little bio for Coffey already in anticipation of his selection...

Paul Coffey

Position: Defense
6'0" / 205 lbs.
Shoots: Left

As a Penguin (1987- Feb. 1992): 331 GP 108 goals, 332 assists, 440 points - 23 GP 4 goals, 22 assists, 26 points

1x Stanley Cup Champion (1991)

Four full seasons + one partial season; 5 seasons

Norris voting: 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th

All-Star Voting: 2nd*, 3rd^, 5th', 12th, t-14th#

* - First-Team All-Star (1988-89)
^ - Second-Team All-Star (1989-90) [to Bourque's Hart-worthy season, no less]
' - "Third-Team" All-Star (1990-91)
# - 1991-92 season, traded

5x NHL All-Star (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992)

Scoring finishes vs. the entire league with us:
Top-10 assists: 4th, 5th, 8th
Top-10 points: 6th, 9th

Top-10 assists per game: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 8th
Top-10 points per game: 6th, 7th, 10th

Had the 3rd most shots in the league in 88-89 and 89-90 as well.

Scoring finishes vs. league defensemen with us:

1987-88:
- Goals: 12th ||||||||| Assists: 6th |||||| Points: 5th
- Goals per game: 2nd | Assists p/g: 1st* | Points p/g: 1st**

* - Only player over 1 (1.13)
** - Only 4 players over 0.9...Coffey was at 1.46! (20.6% better than 2nd place; 62.2% (!) over 5th place)

1988-89:
- Goals: 1st; Assists: 1st; Points: 1st (113; next best had 75 - over 50% better production by Coffey in four less games)

1989-90:
- Goals: 1st; Assists: 1st; Points: 1st (103; only player over 90)

1990-91:
- Goals: 2nd; Assists: 4th; Points: 3rd (MacInnis, Bourque)

Finished 7th in points among d-men in 1992 without including points he didn't accrue as a Penguin.

Approximate Ice Time as a Penguin

1987-88: #1 defenseman, #1 in overall ATOI (by nearly 5 minutes on Mario, by over 5 minutes on the next d-man)

1988-89: #1 defenseman, #1 in overall ATOI (by more than 2 minutes on Mario, by 6.5 minutes on the next d-man!)

1989-90: #1 defenseman, #1 in overall ATOI (by nearly 4 minutes on Mario, by almots 8 minutes on the next d-man!!!)

1990-91: #1 defenseman, #1 in overall ATOI (by over 3 minutes)

1991-92: #1 defenseman, #1 in overall ATOI (by over 3 minutes)

No one spent more time on the ice than Coffey from 1987-1992 in a Penguins sweater and it's not particularly close either overall or at even-strength.

---
Legends of Hockey wrote:The first thing everyone thinks about when the name Paul Coffey is mentioned is his skating ability. Wearing skates several sizes too small, this guy was simply amazing. In a couple of strides he was able to glide through the neutral and offensive zones faster than those dogged checkers chasing him. He was every bit as silky smooth as he was lightning quick.
Legends of Hockey wrote:...was a brilliant passer, often triggering transition offense with amazing and instinctive breakout passes. While everyone will remember him for his skating and his puck rushing, Coffey may have been the best first-pass defender in league history.
The Pittsburgh Press - Apr. 16, 1991 wrote:Coffey was about as good as any defenseman can be. He threw the first of several hard checks on his first shift, rushed the puck with his usual vigor and scored the fourth goal.

"I can honestly say that's one of the best games I've ever seen him play," left winger XXXX XXXXX said. "He played great," XXXXXXX said. "He was taking the body, playing great defensively. He was playing both ends of the ice, probably one of the best games I've seen him play. And he's only got 1 1/2 eyes."
St. Louis Post-Dispatch - Jan. 10, 1988 wrote:Coffey, the league's best rushing defenseman, is like a nuclear weapon.
Sports Illustrated - Dec. 14, 1987 wrote:Calgary general manager Cliff Fletcher, obviously delighted to see Coffey out of his division, says, "There are three impact players in this league, and now Pittsburgh has two of them." Washington G.M. David Poile, obviously not delighted to see Coffey in his division, watched the Penguins beat and tie his Caps in the week following the trade. "Every time they had a power play," Poile said, "the puck seemed to be with either Coffey or Lemieux. They're two of the most exciting players in the league. It'll solidify the franchise in Pittsburgh."
New York Times - Dec. 12, 1987 wrote:"It takes a lot of pressure off me," Lemieux said of Coffey's presence. "A player like him can do so much."
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Dec. 23, 1987 wrote:"A guy like Coff opens up so much ice for the other guys; I found that out in the Canada Cup," Lemieux says, "What you try to do is find the open ice, get the pass from him, give it back to him - a lot of give and gos. It's pretty easy playing with a guy like that. And on the power play he makes a big difference. You don't have to go back, get the puck, bring it up and make the play. You can divide what you have to do."
Philadelphia Daily News - Nov. 20, 1987 wrote:If the Flyers can put together the right package of players and draft choices to satisfy Edmonton general manager-coach Glen Sather, the money Paul Coffey wants will not be a problem. "You're ******* right we'd sign Paul Coffey," Flyers president Jay Snider told the Daily News. "Paul Coffey is in the top echelon of players in the league. We'd love to have him. Money would be no object at all..."
The Pittsburgh Press - Jan. 21, 1990 wrote:Bourque, who might be the best all-round defenseman, finished second to Coffey, the Penguins' All-Star defenseman, as the best offensive defenseman.

His skating style is as fluid as Dorothy Hamill's, as electric as Brian Boitano's. Not since Bobby Orr has a hockey player exhitbited such speed, such fluidity. Paul Coffey might never win any awards for defense, but his skating and offensive abilities are unmatched in the NHL. All those players who have watched Coffey go flying by agree: He is the best skater in the league.

Coffey gathered 53 votes to easily beat Messier (25) and Savard (8) who might be the trickiest skater in the league.

And, for best offensive defenseman, only Bourque (21) could manage to get within shouting distance of Coffey, who had 68 votes. Even Buffalo's Phil Housley, who has also been used as a forward, managed just 9 votes.
Hockey Scouting Report 1990-91 wrote:Skating is unquestionably the best of Coffey's skills just as Coffey is unquestionably among the NHL's top skaters. He could be no worse than second or third in terms of pure skating. His offensive ability is based on his skating, and upon his ability to handle the puck while a top speed, which is a skill almost as impressive as his skating., Taking chances and challenging where no other player could succeed… Coffey is a leader for the Pens because of his Stanley cups and international experience… He knows how to win in the playoffs, and ups his game appropriately.
Hockey Scouting Report 1991-92 wrote:Whenever scouts start describing the young offensive defenseman, the prospect is usually painted as some shade of the next Paul Coffey. That alone should indicate in what high regard coffey'soffensive skills are held throughout the hockey world.… He can tie opposing skaters into pretzels when they try to pursue him. He is just plain fast. His hand skills and his brain operate at the same high tempo as his skates. He can do an amazing variety of things at a quick pace. Coffey sees the ice very well and seldom are as outlet passes picked off. He has a featherlight touch with pass. Coffey can score from anywhere on the ice and with any kind of shot. He has the confidence and skills to penetrate deep and commands such respect that he has a lot of room to operate.

Coffey takes a lot of heat for not being an involved player, but you don't get a Stanley Cup ring for each finger by being a perimeter player. Sure Coffey is a finesse player during the regular season and may take some nights off, but when the money is on the line, Coffey is throwing his body and blocking shots. He played through most of the playoffs with an eye injury and a broken jaw. His courage is unquestioned.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Libel (in reference to meow)
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

MRandall25 wrote:Libel (in reference to meow)
I read it on the internet. They can't put things on the internet if they aren't true.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Good stuff, mikey.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

meow wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Libel (in reference to meow)
I read it on the internet. They can't put things on the internet if they aren't true.
He did (in a way) usher in the era of wearing skates that were 2-3 sizes smaller in order to gain speed.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

If it's not too late, I'll slide in to the 7 spot. PM me if it's possible.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Odd number of teams? Erghh
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Mr. Colby wrote:If it's not too late, I'll slide in to the 7 spot. PM me if it's possible.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that we have enough players to accomodate 7 teams. Feel free to contribute to the conversation among already-drafteds or if any other GMs are looking for a co-GM perhaps or simply be on the standby in case Rylan gets his gloves removed again...

Thanks for the interest! :thumb: Hopefully you'll want to participate in the discussion as things move along.

It's not like this can't ever be done again either, certainly.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ron Francis

Position: Center
6'3" / 200 lbs.
Shoots: Left

As a Penguin (Mar. 1991-1998): 533 GP 164 goals, 449 assists, 613 points - playoffs: 97 GP 32 goals, 68 assists, 100 points

2x Stanley Cup Champion (1991, 1992)

Team Captain: 1995, 1997-98

In Penguins history: 11th all-time in games played, 10th all-time in goals, 3rd all-time in assists (Lemieux, Jagr), 4th all-time in points. ||| 6th all time in points per game (Lemieux, Crosby, Jagr, Coffey, Malkin)

7 full seasons + 1 partial season = 8 total seasons as a Penguin

---

Hart: t-15th
Selke: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 6th, 8th, 12th
All-Star Voting (center): 3rd, 3rd, 7th^, t-8th*, t-9th*

* - one vote
^ - to Mario

2x Lady Byng Winner
1x NHL All Star (1996)

---
Scoring verus the league:

Top-10 assist finishes: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 9th, 9th
Top-10 point finishes: 4th, 5th, 5th, 8th

Led the 1992 playoffs in assists with 19.
---

Scoring versus teammates (top-5):
1991-92: N/A
1992-93: 4th (2nd in assists)
1993-94: 2nd (1st in assists)
1994-95: 2nd (1st in assists)
1995-96: 3rd (t-1st in assists)
1996-97: 3rd (2nd in assists)
1997-98: 2nd (2nd in assists - 33% over third place)

---

Approximate Ice Time with the Penguins:
1992-93: 2nd among forwards, 4th in overall ATOI
1993-94: 1st among forwards, 3rd in overall ATOI
1994-95: 1st among forwards, 3rd in overall ATOI
1995-96: 2nd among forwards, 3rd in overall ATOI
1996-97: 2nd among forwards, 3rd in overall ATOI
1997-98: 2nd among forwards, 3rd in overall ATOI

- While his even-strength ice time (not used in above) is limited vs. the stars on the team. Francis was used copiously on both the power play and the penalty kill throughout his time here which led him to play a ton of minutes despite not always being a top liner. Only ever finished behind Lemieux or Jagr in total ATOI, except 1991-92. It shows how much the coaches trusted him to be a difference maker and if we had numbers regarding the quality of player he played against, I don't doubt that he faced a lot of top units especially early in his time here. Probably did quite a bit of heavy lifting in his early years.

---

NHL Players' Poll 1993 and 1994:

Best on faceoffs: 1st (1994), t-2nd (1993)
Best defensive forward: 3rd (1993), t-6th (1994)
Smartest Player: t-1st (1994)
Most Underrated: t-2nd (1993)
---
Legends of Hockey wrote:In Pittsburgh he played behind Mario Lemieux and a young Jaromir Jagr, but he took his game to another level. He became not only a goal scorer but one of the best passing centers and two-way players in the league. Pittsburgh won back-to-back Cup titles in 1991 and 1992, and Francis twice reached the 100-point plateau. He was equally consistent in the playoffs as in the regular season, and for 1994-95 he was named Penguins captain while Mario Lemieux recovered from injuries and missed the year. At the start of the next season, though, the captaincy was given back to Mario, and Francis just kept on leading by example. His sportsmanship paid off, for when Lemieux retired in 1997, the captaincy was once again sewn onto his sweater.
Greatest Hockey Legends wrote:Francis, like Gretzky, thought the game better than most. He somehow exceeded the sum of his parts. He was a choppy skater, deceptively quick but not pretty to watch. He had good size and used it effectively, but was anything but imposing. He was never a dazzling or charismatic player, just a greatly efficient one.

...Ron immediately had an impact in Pittsburgh. Francis played a huge part in helping the Penguins win back-to-back Stanley Cup championships, in 1991 and 1992. While continuing to be a top defensive center man, Ron enjoyed his finest scoring season in Pittsburgh. In 1995-96 he was often moved on to left wing with Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr. Francis would score 27 goals and lead the league with 92 assists for 119 points.

Francis became the glue of a very talented Pittsburgh Penguins team. Playing in the huge shadows of scoring sensations Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr, it was Francis' defensive contributions and quiet offensive genius that was the missing ingredient in Pittsburgh. The Pens' two Stanley Cup victories were largely, but typically quietly, due to Ron Francis.
Ultimate Hockey wrote:Before Francis arrived, the Penguins were an offensive juggernaut with a tendency to strain under the tight checking required in the playoffs. Francis changed the complexion of the team almost overnight, bringing aboard leadership and a two-way conscience... As a Penguin, the big man played inspired hockey.
Penguin Profiles wrote:The Penguins veteran comes close to perfection. he reminds one of athletes from a bygone era with his refreshing approach and appeal... He is dedicated to succeed... was admired by teammates, management, and fans alike... Francis says "I was brought up that if I spoke to much 'me' and 'I' stuff, I got a real tongue lashing. I was taught to be team-oriented and to be family-oriented. I was told to do whatever I was doing as well as I could do it, but to share the credit."... Francis was a fantastic #2 center in Pittsburgh, a two-way player who contributed in so many ways, on the ice, in the clubhouse, outside the rink... He is an accomplished penalty killer and can play defense like a man who truly cares. "I don't know where we'd be without him", said a former coach.
Hockey Scouting Report 1992-93 wrote:Francis is a player of fine two-way skills, which is why he always seems to be there when danger is to be created offensively or averted defensively... he is an excellent defensive player who is depended upon to win the key defensive zone faceoffs - especially the first draw in penalty killing situations. Francis has a nice touch on the draws, and good hands also enable him to feather a pass to a breaking teammate. He also has a long reach, and he uses it.

Francis is strong on his feet, which helps him keep his legs going in the scrums. Good balance enables him to tie up his opponent, then kick the puck to a teammate... He is a responsible player who is as dilligent in front of his net as he is in the attacking zone. He has above average drive and determination, and will not hesitate to dive toward a puck - to block a shot, to sweep the puck from the goal mouth, to chop it away from an opponent... He sees the ice well, distributes well and takes the hits to spring a teammate with the puck.

Francis does not shy away from the painful places on the ice, the places where you get bruises. He goes in front of the net for deflections and rebounds, uses his strength and balance to gain position, keeps plugging away... He doesn't bury people. But he uses strength in the faceoff battles, does his best to lock up his man on offensive zone draws, fights hard to get to his point those rare times he loses a draw in the defensive zone.

Francis inspires a sense of confidence in his teammates because he is such a dependable player. And he was an absolute tower of strength in the playoffs last spring, stepping into the gap and playing a huge leadership role when Mario Lemieux was injured... Francis may not seem to show much emotion on the ice, but he has tremendous desire to win and is an extremely gritty competitor. He may not be much for the spotlight, but his persistence and contribution to victory are laudatory.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

2 stanley cup goalies left on the board, wonder who will go first.

This should start to get intresting with the biggest names off the board.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

shhh...
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

mikey287 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:If it's not too late, I'll slide in to the 7 spot. PM me if it's possible.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that we have enough players to accomodate 7 teams. Feel free to contribute to the conversation among already-drafteds or if any other GMs are looking for a co-GM perhaps or simply be on the standby in case Rylan gets his gloves removed again...

Thanks for the interest! :thumb: Hopefully you'll want to participate in the discussion as things move along.

It's not like this can't ever be done again either, certainly.
Haha no problem i'm just bored
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

The first pick of the second round is now being researched and is imminent, just a heads up.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

For the 1st pick of this 2nd round, the still unnamed team would like to proudly select Jean Pronovost and tentatively hand him the captain's C.

Pronovost was the 1st Penguin in history to break the 50 goal AND the 100 point mark, making him arguably the first bona fide (yes, it's 2 words on Dictionary.com, that surprised me too) superstar in Penguins history. Third in Penguins history with 753 games played, 3rd in goals with 316, and 6th in points with 603.

Also one of the first 3 inducted into the Penguins' HOF. Welcome to the team, Jean.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Good choice.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Gaucho wrote:Good choice.
It was a tough one. Lot of great players and coaches still on the board.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Absolutely. I'm getting a little nervous, because I have my sights on a certain guy who might or might not drop to 11th. No, it's not Robert Helmut Fritz Lang.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by dman66 »

Yeah, Gaucho, I have my eyes on a guy as well. Really tough to try to project though. Just have to wait and see who picks who.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Jean Pronovost

Position: Right Wing
6'0" / 185 lbs.
Shoots: Right

As a Penguin (1968-1978): 753 GP 316 goals, 287 assists, 603 points - playoffs: 29 GP 9 goals, 9 assists, 18 points

3rd all time in games played, 3rd all time in goals, 10th all time in assists, 6th all time in points

Team captain: 1977-78

10 full seasons.

---

All-Star Team Voting (RW): 3rd, 5th, 5th, t-7th*, 8th, t-9th*

* - one vote

4x NHL All-Star (1975, 1976, 1977, 1978)

---

Scoring finishes vs. the League: (top-25's):

Goals: 4th, t-7th, 8th, t-10th, t-15th, t-20th
Assists: N/A

---

Scoring finishes vs. teammates:
1968-69: 4th in goals, 4th in points
1969-70: t-2nd in goals, 4th in points
1970-71: t-1st in goals, 2nd in points
1971-72: t-1st in goals, 2nd in points
1972-73: t-6th in goals, 8th in points
1973-74: 2nd in goals, 3rd in points
1974-75: 1st in goals, 3rd in points
1975-76: 2nd in points, 2nd in goals
1976-77: 1st in goals, 1st in points
1977-78: 1st in goals, 1st in points

:idea: Retired as the Penguins all-time leader in goals and points.
---

The young (as a franchise) Penguins didn't have a ton of talent to work with in the late-60's and early 70's and used their forwards rather evenly. Pronovost's production reflects this fairly well. As he grew as a player and the Penguins began to compete for real, more obvious "lines" began to develop. It also helped that the talent pool was catching up with the alarming amount of expansion and the expansion of roster sizes throughout the time. Separation began and Pronovost rose to the top.

Later in the 70's, Pronovost was an obvious first liner on the Pens right up until his departure to Atlanta after the 1978 season had concluded. Pronovost, especially as the years went on, played in all situations for the Pens.

---
Legends of Hockey wrote:Jean Pronovost was the eleventh of 12 children. His older brother, Marcel, had already hit the road to a successful career in pro hockey by the time young Jean laced up a set of blades.

Having an all-star defenseman for a brother convinced the younger Pronovost that playing a well-rounded brand of hockey with defense as a foundation was the best way to insure success.

In 1968, however, the Bruins committed a serious error when they sold Pronovost to the Pittsburgh Penguins. With the Pens, his full potential came to the surface. Over the next ten seasons, he was a pillar of consistency, cruising his lane with speed and determination, defending against foes, digging into corners, making smart passes, and picking up the big goals.
The Calgary Herald - Mar. 26, 1969 wrote:Marcel Pronovost's career is just about over, but his younger brother Jean could represent the family in the National Hockey League for many years yet.

...Jean, a 23-year-old right winger, has been one of the few members of Pittsburgh Penguins to gain any recognition this season.
Edmonton Journal - Sep. 26, 1978 wrote:...Pittsburgh's ace winger Jean Pronovost
Beaver County Times - Feb. 27, 1975 wrote:Pittsburgh Penguin Super Star Jean Pronovost has been a bridesmaid 26 times in his seven-year career... You see, 26 times in the past he has scored two goals in a single game but could never quite come up with that elusive hat trick trio. His pure hat-trick finally came last night.

...broke a 0-0 tie in the second period on a nifty breakaway that completely fooled goaltender Michel Belhumeur.

And...he announced to the 11,059 screaming Pronovost lovers that he had ended his career-long drought.
The Lewiston Daily Sun - Mar. 4, 1975 wrote:Quick, who's the fourth leading goal-scorer in the National Hockey League? Well, er, uh, let's see. There's Phil Esposito and Guy Lafleur and Rick Martin and, er, uh...

Jean Pronovost. Jean Pronovost?

Surely you must be aware of Jean Pronovost, the Pittsburgh Penguins' high-scoring right wing. He is so well-known that a feature story about him a recent issue of "Goal," the NHL's program-magazine, was accompanied by a picture...of teammate XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX.

"The lack of publicity doesn't bother me," said the 29-year old native of Shawinigan Falls, Que.

"I'm not a flashy-type player," said Jean. "I just go up and down my wing and do my job."

He also was named the Penguins' most valuable player [last season].

"Maybe people do underrate him, but we'll gladly keep him," said Coach XXXX XXXXXXX. "Maybe he's not noticeable out there because he just goes about his job but you look at the statistics after each game and you'll see he's got a goal here, an assist there..."

"I think Pronie belongs in the Martin-Lafleur class as a scoring wing. But no one says anything about him. He's taken for granted. He deserves a little more recognition."
The calgary Herald - Apr. 2, 1978 wrote:Pronovost and Hickey have been the Canadians' No. 1 penalty-killing forward tandem, and Pronovost has been used on the power play...

Pronovost said he enjoys the heavy workload because he loves to skate and feels he's a good skater. "The style they play in Europe is my style. They give you more room to operate and you can do a lot of things - zigzag, come back - that's my game."
The Hour - Oct. 8, 1977 wrote:...expect a revitalized offense from such sharpshooters as XXXX, Jean Pronvost...
Not always peachy...
Observer-Reporter - Sep. 8, 1978 wrote:"That is not to say Jean Pronovost isn't a heck of a hockey player. But Jean has wanted out of Pittsburgh for a couple of years, so he finally has his wish." [Penguins coach XXXXXX XXXXXX]
The Montreal Gazette - Dec. 29, 1976 wrote:Pronovost is in a peculiar situation in Pittsburgh. He is a bona fide all-star and last year he became the first Penguin in history to chalk up a 50-goal season. ... Yet he has never been happy in Pittsburgh. He would love to play for Montreal and there was an attempt made last year to effect just such a move. But the Penguins' management wanted Larry Robinsonin return and that put an end to those talks.
Ottawa Citizen - Dec. 22, 1976 wrote:Jean Pronovost, a nine-yaer veteran with Pittsburgh Penguins, said Tuesday he wants to be traded to another National Hockey League team. Pronovost said the third-place Norris Division team is "too complacent, lacking in coaching discipline and is a totally frustrating situation. ... It has been the same old story for nine years," the 31-year-old right winger said. "I started with Pittsburgh and this was a loser and it's still a loser. ... I've done everything I could do to force a trade and nothing happens. ... I'm fed up here and I'd like a change to a competitive situation," he said. "There's no discipline, it's just like a country club. Things just aren't normal."

Pronovost said the whole Penguins organization is at fault.

"Everything to do with the Penguins organization has been affecting me," he said. "We should be a better team and I'm sorry to say we're not."

Pronovost signed a multi-year contract for an annual salary of more than $100,000 while he was training with Team Canada during the summer.

"Under a proper training situation, you would practice after losing back-to-back games on the weekend," Pronovost added. "Not us. Instead we have a Christmas party. This is what I mean about the country club atmosphere."

[Won't quit]

"Personally, I've got to live with myself so I will continue to put out," he said. "Even when we lose 10-1 I think I will be putting out, but at times I get frustrated."
Editor's note: Pronovost was traded to Atlanta after several more demands to be dealt in September 1978 and then moved to Washington...didn't get a close to a Cup.