Matt Murray's future, a poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Matt Murray's future?

1. Comes back and regains the magic he once had.
35%
2. Comes back and plays so-so, shares time with DeSmith.
37%
3. Comes back and looks bad and gets benched.
9%
4. Comes back, looks bad and gets traded.
12%
5. Gets traded without even coming back.
7%

Total votes: 43

Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Matt Murray's future, a poll

Post by Weegie »

What do you think is going to be Murray's future in Pittsburgh?
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Matt Murray's future, a poll

Post by Antonio »

I picked 5. Partially because some of me actually expects it and most of me hopes it.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

There has to be a choice involving injuries. I'm probably one of the few on this board who believes Murray can correct glove or other issues but I can't see him staying healthy long enough to do it. Hope I'm wrong.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Need an option for "Comes back and is immediately injured again."
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I don't think Murray is on the same level as Fleury was, talent and consistency wise. Fleury was underappreciated and ridiculed for some of the post 2009 Cup meltdowns, but, Fleury was always healthy until his last 2 seasons here.

Murray will never be able to establish himself as a franchise goalie if he continues to remain as fragile as he is, health wise. There are just certain players around the league that are very prone to injury. Beau Bennett was obviously like that. Martin Hanzal is another player that is good for missing 20 or so games a season. There are probably another half dozen guys like that out there....great when healthy, but always find ways to get injured and miss 20% of the season.

Honestly, if Murray regains 90% of his form, but still has the injury issue, I don't think it is the worst thing in the world. The Penguins may get better results if Murray is more a split starter with Jarry or DeSmith. While I really don't want Murray playing 60-70 games (getting to be rare in this league), he has yet to show he can be available for 60-70 games. That may allow the Penguins to keep Murray's next contract low, and allow them to continue to ease Jarry into the league with more starts.

The next question will be, does Mike Buckley get the axe after the season. He was Murray's guy, and Murray has struggled, and from what I have heard, Jarry hasn't really progressed much from where he was last season either.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LimerickPensFan »

I picked that he would regain the magic. This is based on him having a stretch during the season where he plays incredibly well, only to get injured (again) and return. At least that's what he did last year after his father's death.

We still haven't heard what this injury was. That could have an effect on how he returns as well.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

I voted 1. We may never win another Cup with him, but I expect him to regain his form as a solid NHL net minder. He played well as recently as @Toronto, so if he's healthy and the Pens aren't playing terrible defense, I'll support his comeback bid.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

FLPensFan wrote:I don't think Murray is on the same level as Fleury was, talent and consistency wise. Fleury was underappreciated and ridiculed for some of the post 2009 Cup meltdowns, but, Fleury was always healthy until his last 2 seasons here.

Murray will never be able to establish himself as a franchise goalie if he continues to remain as fragile as he is, health wise. There are just certain players around the league that are very prone to injury. Beau Bennett was obviously like that. Martin Hanzal is another player that is good for missing 20 or so games a season. There are probably another half dozen guys like that out there....great when healthy, but always find ways to get injured and miss 20% of the season.

Honestly, if Murray regains 90% of his form, but still has the injury issue, I don't think it is the worst thing in the world. The Penguins may get better results if Murray is more a split starter with Jarry or DeSmith. While I really don't want Murray playing 60-70 games (getting to be rare in this league), he has yet to show he can be available for 60-70 games. That may allow the Penguins to keep Murray's next contract low, and allow them to continue to ease Jarry into the league with more starts.

The next question will be, does Mike Buckley get the axe after the season. He was Murray's guy, and Murray has struggled, and from what I have heard, Jarry hasn't really progressed much from where he was last season either.
Thank you! This! :thumb:

Fleury was definitely under-appreciated, particularly for what he contributed in team morale and competitiveness. I really, really hope Murray regains his form (option 1), because they are going to need world-class goal-tending to challenge for another Stanley Cup. I voted for option 2. And no, I don't think his glove hand issues are solvable. Eventually, perhaps at the trade dead-line but certainly in the off-season if Murray hasn't improved I expect a big trade for a name goalie.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Voted 2.

DeSmith will play far better than feared, somewhat less than hoped. He gets the majority of starts, but only because Murray is always injured. If we get to the playoffs, he's got the #1 ticket.

Murray will come back to become an overpaid, injury prone backup. Sullivan keeps putting him in the crease and he keeps finding ways to get injured. This way, he'll be unable to complete the majority of starts.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

IntangibleBeer wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I don't think Murray is on the same level as Fleury was, talent and consistency wise. Fleury was underappreciated and ridiculed for some of the post 2009 Cup meltdowns, but, Fleury was always healthy until his last 2 seasons here.

Fleury was definitely under-appreciated, particularly for what he contributed in team morale and competitiveness. I really, really hope Murray regains his form (option 1), because they are going to need world-class goal-tending to challenge for another Stanley Cup. I voted for option 2. And no, I don't think his glove hand issues are solvable. Eventually, perhaps at the trade dead-line but certainly in the off-season if Murray hasn't improved I expect a big trade for a name goalie.
The problem is, I'm not even sure there are 5 top flight goalies in the league right now. Honestly I haven't looked, at them so I could be way off, but who are the bona fide goalies in this league? Price has gone downhill, Rinne and Bob are playoff chokes, Lundqvist is fading, Quick is often injured, Rask is so-so.....there aren't many guys around anymore that are solid, both playoffs and regular season and consistent.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:

The problem is, I'm not even sure there are 5 top flight goalies in the league right now. Honestly I haven't looked, at them so I could be way off, but who are the bona fide goalies in this league? Price has gone downhill, Rinne and Bob are playoff chokes, Lundqvist is fading, Quick is often injured, Rask is so-so.....there aren't many guys around anymore that are solid, both playoffs and regular season and consistent.
The only up and coming goalie that I can think of is Hellebuyck from Winnipeg, maybe Vasilevskiy from Tampa. John Gibson has been an up and coming goalie forever and I was surprised that he's only 25 but he always seems eh to me. He has good stats though, but doesn't seem consistent to me for some reason.

I think we're just seeing a lot of goalies in their late 20s to late 30s and not a lot of 25 year old goalies right now.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

IntangibleBeer wrote:

Fleury was under appreciated? That can't be farther from the truth.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by America »

Where’s the option to go back in time and not trade Fleury?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Dr. Strangeglove's future with the Pens?

> Pens out of the playoff hunt and plays decently, he's gone.
> Pens in the playoff hunt and he plays decently, he stays.
> Plays poorly, he stays.
> Comes back and gets injured, he stays.*

*Most likely scenario.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Jim wrote:
Fleury was under appreciated? That can't be far from the truth.
There, I fixed it for you. :wink: Actually, I think Fleury was very underappreciated on this board.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Fleury was both loved and unloved during his career here. It depended on his most recent playoff performance. Once he departed for Vegas, he achieved sainthood.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Jim wrote:
There, I fixed it for you. :wink: Actually, I think Fleury was very underappreciated on this board.
By me, yes. But the blind love for Fleury here was nauseating and people would simply ignore any and all errors that he made. That he made consistanly. But everyone was like "He's amazing!"
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Jim wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:
Jim wrote:
By me, yes. But the blind love for Fleury here was nauseating and people would simply ignore any and all errors that he made. That he made consistanly. But everyone was like "He's amazing!"
The nickname "First Shot Fleury" rings a bell with me. Ha had his moments. And quite a few of them.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

Most people who seem to think kindly of Fleury right now, do not seem to remember all those years, like half a decade, where he was average at best and often times worse than that. Most people here wanted him gone, including Jim :)

For some, he was a favorite whipping boy and I can't blame them. It got to a point where he hired a sport psychologist in 2013. His career was going downhill at best - and finally overtaken by Murray, with whom he eventually won two cups.

Murray is going through the same right now, but there no better alternatives available. He's a two time cup winning goaltender - twice during the past three years and he has now struggled for what, 15 games? We are better than this. Pens must and likely will have enough patience for a young goaltender to turn his game around. It's not like he's the first goaltender facing difficulties, especially at such a young age.

Let's not get carried away here, Murray is and will be our #1.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LimerickPensFan »

bse wrote:Most people who seem to think kindly of Fleury right now, do not seem to remember all those years, like half a decade, where he was average at best and often times worse than that. Most people here wanted him gone, including Jim :)

For some, he was a favorite whipping boy and I can't blame them. It got to a point where he hired a sport psychologist in 2013. His career was going downhill at best - and finally overtaken by Murray, with whom he eventually won two cups.

Murray is going through the same right now, but there no better alternatives available. He's a two time cup winning goaltender - twice during the past three years and he has now struggled for what, 15 games? We are better than this. Pens must and likely will have enough patience for a young goaltender to turn his game around. It's not like he's the first goaltender facing difficulties, especially at such a young age.

I never thought Murray was as good as Fleury. Even when he was winning the cups - it was more the team in front of him than anything great he did. No goalie is perfect, and yeah, there are stretches in every goalie's career where he isn't playing up to his own standards. Lundqvist has been benched in the last couple of years.

Fleury spent a career with a team in front of him who put defensive play about eighth in priority for their time on the ice. Now that he's on a team that actually tries to play defense, we see the type of numbers he can achieve.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

LimerickPensFan wrote:
bse wrote:Most people who seem to think kindly of Fleury right now, do not seem to remember all those years, like half a decade, where he was average at best and often times worse than that. Most people here wanted him gone, including Jim :)

I never thought Murray was as good as Fleury. Even when he was winning the cups - it was more the team in front of him than anything great he did. No goalie is perfect, and yeah, there are stretches in every goalie's career where he isn't playing up to his own standards. Lundqvist has been benched in the last couple of years.

Fleury spent a career with a team in front of him who put defensive play about eighth in priority for their time on the ice. Now that he's on a team that actually tries to play defense, we see the type of numbers he can achieve.
Murray was tremendous especially in the Caps series in 2016, and Fleury was tremendous against the Caps in 2017. We don't win cups those years if either goalie was just good or even very good, in those series.

The 2016 Cup team, people forget that Fleury (and Geno) pretty much carried the team until the coach was fired. As you mentioned, the Pens basically played pond hockey for many years in front of Fleury.

What Murray did in the AHL was historic (the league is almost 100 years old) and what he did in the NHL was historic - both playoff runs was impressive, especially given his age/experience. I don't think we should rewrite history on Murray just because he can't stay healthy now or because he was average (at best) in the playoffs last year and so far this season.

As you can tell, I'm a fan of both goalies. Fleury is a polarizing one - the meltdown against the Flyers was maybe the worst I've ever seen from a goalie - and their goalie was almost as bad and we still lost. Fleury's game 5 against the Wings in 2008 (potential cup clinching game in Detroit) was one of the best goaltending performances I've ever seen from any goalie in a playoff game, and I've been watching for a long time now ha.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

15 games? Does last year not count?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by theblackarts »

Murray is young. Goalies can (operative word can) ripen with age. He's obviously working through some things, and apparently is injury prone. He could easily regain his magic and win a cup with/for someone else... the real question is if he can do that with Sid and Geno at the end of their prime window. It's a gamble clearly. Unless we light the league on fire in the next few months, I don't think there's a need to trade for a rental goalie. I would prefer to make a deal for a legit #1 by any means necessary when the time is right, whether that's at the draft or over the summer. This season isn't our year imo, though anything can happen. Work out the right deal later, if and when it presents itself.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

List is not exhaustive.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Murray would probably benefit from moving to a different team. He has had to play in the shadow MAF left and has had to deal with losing his dad as well. Sometimes a fresh start is almost necessary to get a person out of a funk. Not just in hockey.