Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

I read somewhere, maybe Taylor, that both Reirden and Vellucci's contracts are up this summer. Can't see them bringing them back, especially Reirden. How many assitant coaches does Sullivan really get to go through?

And instead of blowing up half the roster and selling players for cheap, coming off a down year, why don't you try a new coach?? Something tells me that Karlsson would look more like Karlsson under a new coach.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Didn't Ian Cole have an issue with Dear Leader?
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:30 pm I read somewhere, maybe Taylor, that both Reirden and Vellucci's contracts are up this summer. Can't see them bringing them back, especially Reirden. How many assitant coaches does Sullivan really get to go through?

And instead of blowing up half the roster and selling players for cheap, coming off a down year, why don't you try a new coach?? Something tells me that Karlsson would look more like Karlsson under a new coach.
Simple. Because if you don't have Mike Sullivan then you're looking for Mike Sullivan.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:42 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... -critique/

Needless to say, I agree with this article. Sullivan is the latest of reductive boogeymen to be anointed by the Yinzer mob. I don’t like everything he’s done, but I like the players’ performance and reactions even less. I anticipate a roster house cleaning this offseason.
Again? How many roster cleanings are needed before they determine the roster isn’t the issue? There are only 6 guys on the roster from 2020-21 who played more than 20 games, add 2 from 2021-22 and add 4 from last season. They’ve done a roster housecleaning, they tend to replace over half the roster.

Do you what hasn’t changed since the 2020-21 season? The head coach and 2 assistant coaches. I think the roster house cleaning has been done ad nauseam, the front office house cleaning has been done, the ownership group has been changed.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:51 pm
Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:42 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... -critique/

Needless to say, I agree with this article. Sullivan is the latest of reductive boogeymen to be anointed by the Yinzer mob. I don’t like everything he’s done, but I like the players’ performance and reactions even less. I anticipate a roster house cleaning this offseason.
Again? How many roster cleanings are needed before they determine the roster isn’t the issue? There are only 6 guys on the roster from 2020-21 who played more than 20 games, add 2 from 2021-22 and add 4 from last season. They’ve done a roster housecleaning, they tend to replace over half the roster.

Do you what hasn’t changed since the 2020-21 season? The head coach and 2 assistant coaches. I think the roster house cleaning has been done ad nauseam, the front office house cleaning has been done, the ownership group has been changed.
As many as are necessary. Just because you add a new guy doesn’t mean he’s a fit or that it’s all going to work out if Favored Coach Replacement starts cracking the whip. This is a roster that just took a weeklong mental break when one of their friends was traded. Does that strike you as something to build on? Dubas literally just said he would have traded more guys if other teams had the cap space to deal with it.

Can you honestly look at either last year’s (Granlund-mania) or this year’s (only two lines need to score, honest) roster and say they’re a coaching change away from contending or even succeeding?

I mean, it’s been said numerous times in multiple media outlets that Sullivan isn’t going anywhere. How many times do they have to say it before acceptance kicks in?
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

You can turn over the roster, it doesn't mean much if the players you bring in aren't any good. The Pirates are best in class in roster turnover, and what has that got them (outside of a lower payroll)?

I'm not saying the coaching isn't part of the problem, but you could bring in Scotty Bowman, Toe Bake, and Al Arbour as your coaching staff and its still a borderline playoff team at best.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 pm

As many as are necessary. Just because you add a new guy doesn’t mean he’s a fit or that it’s all going to work out if Favored Coach Replacement starts cracking the whip. This is a roster that just took a weeklong mental break when one of their friends was traded. Does that strike you as something to build on? Dubas literally just said he would have traded more guys if other teams had the cap space to deal with it.

Can you honestly look at either last year’s (Granlund-mania) or this year’s (only two lines need to score, honest) roster and say they’re a coaching change away from contending or even succeeding?

I mean, it’s been said numerous times in multiple media outlets that Sullivan isn’t going anywhere. How many times do they have to say it before acceptance kicks in?
I think they’re a better power play from contending. If the PP added 20 more goals they’d be about top 10 and possibly add 10 more wins (obviously I’d have to go through every game to back that up and I won’t but we both know most games are won/lost on little to no changes on the ice). Are you really saying Crosby, Malkin, Jake, Rust, Karlsson, Letang, Smith, Rakell can’t give you more on the PP? What more can they possibly do with the roster to get the PP better? Outside of the PP where is the team lacking? Yes they’ve given up, but this has been a train wreck of a season and only tradeable players are accountable.

I’ve accepted that Sullivan isn’t going anywhere, which means I’ve accepted this team isn’t going anywhere. I guess they can continually replace 10 players per year until they get the right group since it’s not the coach. I’ll still be a fan, I just have to limit my expectations.
Last edited by Daniel on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

pens_CT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:22 pm

You can turn over the roster, it doesn't mean much if the players you bring in aren't any good. The Pirates are best in class in roster turnover, and what has that got them (outside of a lower payroll)?

I'm not saying the coaching isn't part of the problem, but you could bring in Scotty Bowman, Toe Bake, and Al Arbour as your coaching staff and its still a borderline playoff team at best.
I think Dubas did a pretty good job based on what he had to work with. Which players weren’t good when they were acquired? Acciari has pretty much been on the 4th line and is still one good scoring week away from getting close to Rakell or Smith. Smith was a really good player and now scores like he should be on the third line, which incidentally has scored above expectations (at least Eller and O’Connor). Eller has been great, the goaltending has been great. Graves is having a typical first year defensemen year, same with Karlsson (though who would have guessed that Karlsson would have been so inept on the PP unless you’ve watched the Penguins PP over the last few years).

What bad player did Dubas get and what player became bad when he came to the Penguins? I don’t think a coaching change will magically fix this team, but only the Teflon Mikes of Pittsburgh can escape this many years without success.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Seriously, man? Reductive boogeymen? Yinzer mob? How many years of incompetence does it take to look at the coach behind it? We've already had three GM's and more than 70% roster turnover, but everything is A-OK at the coaching level? If you don't like the players' performance, where do your think the fault lies, especially when they continually go elsewhere and perform better? Isn't the job of a head coach at this level to extract the best performance of the players at hand? What the heck is the job description, otherwise? Head coach knows best... do it, or shut up? That may work at the junior level, but it doesn't cut it beyond.

There have already been numerous house cleanings under the Sullivan reign, yet nothing has improved. I'm sure the one this offseason will take care of it...
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:39 pm

I think Dubas did a pretty good job based on what he had to work with. Which players weren’t good when they were acquired? Acciari has pretty much been on the 4th line and is still one good scoring week away from getting close to Rakell or Smith. Smith was a really good player and now scores like he should be on the third line, which incidentally has scored above expectations (at least Eller and O’Connor). Eller has been great, the goaltending has been great. Graves is having a typical first year defensemen year, same with Karlsson (though who would have guessed that Karlsson would have been so inept on the PP unless you’ve watched the Penguins PP over the last few years).

What bad player did Dubas get and what player became bad when he came to the Penguins? I don’t think a coaching change will magically fix this team, but only the Teflon Mikes of Pittsburgh can escape this many years without success.
Dubas inherited a situation where he has a lot of contracts that he can't move because of limited movement clauses. I'm not blaming him because he didn't create a minor league system with limited prospects and didn't have much money to spend. Here are some of their issues.

(1) Age of the core. You can’t expect these guys to be the main contributors night after night. Who else on can carry this team offensively for say a week or 10 days? There is no one.

(2) They are too much of a perimeter team. Who are the Hornqvist's and Kunitz of this team? The answer is no one.

(3) Goaltending. Jarry has been good at times, sometimes even spectacular. Then he lets in a clunker that kills them. The lack of offense really magnifys the clunkers.

(4) Style of play. It isn't 2016 anymore and they continue to try and play like it is. This falls on Sullivan, but the core wants to play this way, regardless of who is behind the bench.

This just skims the surface. The blue line with the exception of Pettersson has been disappointing. Smith has played better as of late, but throw out the first 10 games and he's been an empty sweater for most of the season. Work in progress are Puustinen and O'Connor. Can they be better than what they currently are or is this their best? I have confidence that Dubas is the right man for the job, but it's going to take time and will be painful to watch at times.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:03 pm
Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:39 pm

Dubas inherited a situation where he has a lot of contracts that he can't move because of limited movement clauses. I'm not blaming him because he didn't create a minor league system with limited prospects and didn't have much money to spend. Here are some of their issues.

(1) Age of the core. You can’t expect these guys to be the main contributors night after night. Who else on can carry this team offensively for say a week or 10 days? There is no one.

(2) They are too much of a perimeter team. Who are the Hornqvist's and Kunitz of this team? The answer is no one.

(3) Goaltending. Jarry has been good at times, sometimes even spectacular. Then he lets in a clunker that kills them. The lack of offense really magnifys the clunkers.

(4) Style of play. It isn't 2016 anymore and they continue to try and play like it is. This falls on Sullivan, but the core wants to play this way, regardless of who is behind the bench.

This just skims the surface. The blue line with the exception of Pettersson has been disappointing. Smith has played better as of late, but throw out the first 10 games and he's been an empty sweater for most of the season. Work in progress are Puustinen and O'Connor. Can they be better than what they currently are or is this their best? I have confidence that Dubas is the right man for the job, but it's going to take time and will be painful to watch at times.
1) Unfortunately, Hextall killed the team by surrounding an aging core with Rust, Rakell, Carter types. Unfortunately, Dubas doubled-down by adding Acciari, Nieto, Eller, but, I don't think Dubas had a choice. Under Hextall, they might still have had a chance if he didn't go the old age direction.
--->Hextall and the Penguins should have offered Dylan Strome a contract instead of grossly overpaying to retain Kapanen. Stome signed a 1 year deal with the Caps for 3.5M. It cost us 3.2M a year to retain Kapanen. Strome isn't going to be confused for Hornqvist, but he's 6'3" in size, was 25 at the time, and is not a perimeter player.
---->At 20-21 trade deadline, Hextall gave up a 3rd and a 4th to add a 36 year old Jeff Carter. At that same deadline, Florida gave up a 2nd round pick and a mid-prospect for a then 24 year old Sam Bennett. Again, another player with both size and skill, as well as youth.

Because of RFA rules, young guys like Strome and Bennett don't come around very often. Both were top 5 draft picks that didn't live up to that billing with their original teams. Both were moved for (or signed) a very small cost. These are the types of moves this team needed to make, and why I kept saying that 20-21 season and offseason was the time to make major moves. They also likely should have brought back ERod instead of some of the other bottom 6 clowns like McGinn or Nieto. I give Dubas some credit for taking a chance on a 1st round pedigree in Puljujarvi, but he's gotta be in the lineup.

2) Strome and Bennett would have greatly helped . Bennett throws the body. He's been 3rd in hits for Florida the past 2 years. Strome doesn't throw hits, but he uses his size to his advantage.

3) There weren't a lot of options, but, we also didn't need to sign him to the AAV, term, and trade protection he was given.

4) I often wondered under Bylsma if his system/style was conducive to injury, since we went through the worst man-games lost streak in franchise history. I often wonder if Sullivan's system, even with his adjustments, just isn't able to be played on a consistent basis by most players. I also wonder if changes in the league, teams getting younger, etc, have neutralized the main points of his system. Either way, it has seemed stale now for the past several years.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It doesn’t matter how many times Dubas says Sullivan is safe, until he is gone along with at least a Rierden too this team will not have the minimum success of getting to the 2nd round if they even make the playoffs.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Predators are 14-0-2 in their last 16 games. Their roster is not overly impressive with very little star power, especially up front. Pens roster looked better on paper, with Jake than there’s.

Sometimes it’s about the system and the culture.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Maestro wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:13 pm
KG wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:30 pm I read somewhere, maybe Taylor, that both Reirden and Vellucci's contracts are up this summer. Can't see them bringing them back, especially Reirden. How many assitant coaches does Sullivan really get to go through?

Simple. Because if you don't have Mike Sullivan then you're looking for Mike Sullivan.
When you analyze that statement, it doesn’t make sense. If Sullivans style is a failure, why would you look for another Sullivan? Wouldn’t you have the same results? Wouldn’t you look for someone that changes systems or has a different vision?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:30 pm

I think they’re a better power play from contending. If the PP added 20 more goals they’d be about top 10 and possibly add 10 more wins (obviously I’d have to go through every game to back that up and I won’t but we both know most games are won/lost on little to no changes on the ice). Are you really saying Crosby, Malkin, Jake, Rust, Karlsson, Letang, Smith, Rakell can’t give you more on the PP? What more can they possibly do with the roster to get the PP better? Outside of the PP where is the team lacking? Yes they’ve given up, but this has been a train wreck of a season and only tradeable players are accountable.

I’ve accepted that Sullivan isn’t going anywhere, which means I’ve accepted this team isn’t going anywhere. I guess they can continually replace 10 players per year until they get the right group since it’s not the coach. I’ll still be a fan, I just have to limit my expectations.
How is the coach going to change the powerplay with the personnel on it? Look at those names! What is he going to tell them? No, that's on the players. Stop circling around the perimeter, work to the net and shoot the damn puck. It isn't rocket science, it's a player problem. I do not know how a coach gets through to them. Send out the bottom 6 for PP1?
VA Fan

Post by VA Fan »

Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:47 am
Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:30 pm

How is the coach going to change the powerplay with the personnel on it? Look at those names! What is he going to tell them? No, that's on the players. Stop circling around the perimeter, work to the net and shoot the damn puck. It isn't rocket science, it's a player problem. I do not know how a coach gets through to them. Send out the bottom 6 for PP1?
If the coach can not affect the power play are we saying it is time to jettison the roster and race for the bottom.

Or are we just supposed to expect with another roster refresh that everyone will play in the penguins system as their career numbers suggest and hope for the best?

What is a reasonable expectation of the head coach’s duties? Is it just to practice concepts and talk to the media about them, but then because of who the players are he is not required to hold them accountable? Just curious.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

If there is a position that I give the least amount about right now, it is the head coach. This team is in need of a few more losing seasons before we can attempt to be competitive again. At that point, the organization can take a look at replacing the coach. Why even care at this point. In fact, if Sully is key to the Penguins losing (as so many here think) then it is even more imperative that they keep him... to help aid in losing.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:47 am Predators are 14-0-2 in their last 16 games. Their roster is not overly impressive with very little star power, especially up front. Pens roster looked better on paper, with Jake than there’s.

Sometimes it’s about the system and the culture.
Yep, and the incredible run they are on all started when a planned outing to see U2 in Vegas was cancelled due to a non-effort embarrassment loss 9-2 to Dallas and a losing streak of 6 out of 8 games. Amazing what accountability looks like, especially on a team where the HC Brunette is offense-offense-offense and he has a roster that sorely lacks it besides Forsberg and Josi. Preds were supposed to be a non-playoff team this year and they've all but locked up WC1.

Trotz wanted to change the culture and he did it by absorbing a load of money to get rid of Johansen and Duchene, two guys known for taking games off and being locker room headaches and brought in O'Reilly who is the opposite of those two.

There isn't any doubting that the Pens started the year with a flawed roster and a lot of if's and maybe's, but there is also flawed coaching to go along with and almost no accountability. The coaching philosophy of let veterans do whatever they want and you won't even cut their ice time is what keeps getting guys like Gallant and Boudreau fired everywhere they go. Two things can be true at once: a flawed roster and flawed coaching.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:47 am How is the coach going to change the powerplay with the personnel on it? Look at those names! What is he going to tell them? No, that's on the players. Stop circling around the perimeter, work to the net and shoot the damn puck. It isn't rocket science, it's a player problem. I do not know how a coach gets through to them. Send out the bottom 6 for PP1?
The coach can change the scheme and change the personnel.

If it's the scheme, it's the coaching. If it's not the scheme but the players and the players aren't replaced, it's the coaching. If the coach can't get the players on the same page, it's the coaching. If it's the untradeable players no matter who the coach is, they might as well have the trio and a bunch of rookies and jumpstart the rebuild.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Graves is out, wife is having a baby.

St. Ivany in tonight.

Jarry in goal.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:50 pm Graves is out, wife is having a baby.
This is just a lobbed toss up for a ton of jokes, but I'm not going there. LOL
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:33 pm
:lol: I need to step away from the keyboard on this one, it's so tempting.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

brwi wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:38 pm
:lol: I need to step away from the keyboard on this one, it's so tempting.
At least we know he can hit someone?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Guess I should work on forming more complete sentences :D
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

This season has been one prolonged labor for him.