Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Toke »

Dakota Joshua & Zadorov......do it.
But fire Sully & Co. first.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am There is NO WAY Sid isn't our 1C! Who would you possibly get that could be better? Sorry, I just don't see that happening for at least another 2 seasons.

A 2C maybe, but I'm not sure Geno is ready to give up that role - unless he becomes Sid's LW.
Could offer sheet Byfield...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:02 am
Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:47 am
FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:16 am
Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am There is NO WAY Sid isn't our 1C! Who would you possibly get that could be better? Sorry, I just don't see that happening for at least another 2 seasons.

A 2C maybe, but I'm not sure Geno is ready to give up that role - unless he becomes Sid's LW.
Not replacing Sid but *cough* Stamkos, age and all, would be an incredible signing. Scored 40 goals at age 34 and looked like a beast in the playoffs. If Tampa ends up letting him go, Penguins should be all over it.
For sure! Stamkos would do to the powerplay what Phil Kessel did - make it work! His age doesn't help the "get younger" message, but he would definitely be effective.
I would bet a substantial amount of money that many said the same thing about Karlsson.
Agreed, But Stamkos uses his shot - it's a trademark. He would setup on that left side and fire away.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:21 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:02 am
Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:47 am
FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:16 am

Not replacing Sid but *cough* Stamkos, age and all, would be an incredible signing. Scored 40 goals at age 34 and looked like a beast in the playoffs. If Tampa ends up letting him go, Penguins should be all over it.
For sure! Stamkos would do to the powerplay what Phil Kessel did - make it work! His age doesn't help the "get younger" message, but he would definitely be effective.
I would bet a substantial amount of money that many said the same thing about Karlsson.
Agreed, But Stamkos uses his shot - it's a trademark. He would setup on that left side and fire away.
Stamkos would be amazing here. Doubt he would come to a team that missed the playoffs 2 years in a row, unless he has a relationship with Sid. But either way, yes please, sign me up!
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Sully would probably play him on the right side.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:25 pm Sully would probably play him on the right side.
LOL! Behind the net - you know - set up Geno and Karlsson!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Rumor of power struggle between Dubas and Sullivan:
https://triblive.com/sports/first-call- ... -steelers/

Add fule to that fire.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:38 pm Rumor of power struggle between Dubas and Sullivan:

Add fule to that fire.
Hm, changing out the AC's makes a hell of a lot of sense. If true, makes me happy Dubas is exploring/pushing that option. If you can't change the entire team as is common wisdom and you can't (aren't allowed to?) change the head coach, might as well replace assistant coaches. Especially Reirden, who is not on thin ice, he has no ice beneath him, 30th PP in the league with a smattering of stars. Even fading stars should score more on the ****ing powerplay.

Sullivan should have no say in the firing of any of them - wouldn't mind if he weighs in on who is hired as replacement. As long as it's GMKD who puts up the shortlist first. If Sullivan is really unhappy to the point of wanting out, terminating the contract by mutual agreement would be a nice way to do so.

If he gets a new club (and he will), first time he comes to Pittsburgh, give him a lovely tribute video, remember the good times and preferably beat whatever team it is. Celebrate the man for the two cups with the Pens. No hard feelings, just time for a change. We are not the 2016 Penguins.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I think the number one thing Dubas needs to accomplish towards next year's roster is moving Smith out, with no retention, for a pick and/or prospect. If they can move Smith's salary out with nothing coming back, that opens up a lot more options of reshaping this team. If they can't, Dubas will need to explore moving someone he may not want to, or be stuck with simple, minor changes to the roster.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

KG wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 pm https://www.thefourthperiod.com/may-202 ... ls-to-make

Nothing we don't all know.
After reading that, I learned that water is wet, snow is cold, and the sun is hot.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:47 pm
Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:38 pm Rumor of power struggle between Dubas and Sullivan:

Add fule to that fire.
If he gets a new club (and he will), first time he comes to Pittsburgh, give him a lovely tribute video, remember the good times and preferably beat whatever team it is. Celebrate the man for the two cups with the Pens. No hard feelings, just time for a change. We are not the 2016 Penguins.
Agree. He is due respect for what he accomplished, but nothing more. No hate. Who could fault anyone for sticking in a job that they are comfortable with? Human nature; I have carved my niche in the company, I have arranged my cubicle to make myself comfortable, I have my chair at a comfortable height, people know me around here...

However, my level of enthusiasm and willingness to learn new ways to perform my job are not the same as when I got the job, so I am vulnerable to being replaced.

Sullivan needs to be replaced.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BigMcK wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:16 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:47 pm

Add fule to that fire.
Agree. He is due respect for what he accomplished, but nothing more. No hate. Who could fault anyone for sticking in a job that they are comfortable with? Human nature; I have carved my niche in the company, I have arranged my cubicle to make myself comfortable, I have my chair at a comfortable height, people know me around here...

However, my level of enthusiasm and willingness to learn new ways to perform my job are not the same as when I got the job, so I am vulnerable to being replaced.

Sullivan needs to be replaced.
Here's another video clip, of Wyshynski and Kaplan discussing Sullivan:

I get that FSG thinks that Sullivan is the cat's meow...but, if they are just blinded by what he's done in the past, and that he's a Boston guy...we're in for big trouble as Penguins fan. Same thing goes if Sullivan is truly the one with the power instead of Dubas. At that point, you might as well fire Dubas and ask Sullivan who he wants as a GM/POHO.

Adding Bunting was a step in the right direction. We need more "Bunting-style" players in the lineup. We need some fight in our bottom 6.
We need that speed and youth.
And, since we talked about it earlier...a better 3C would go a long way. Eller did a tremendous job. Eller would have been a great 3C in prime Sid and Geno days. But, they aren't in their prime anymore. We need a stronger 3C.

I think those were 3 keys to our Cups with this core. Net front guys like Hornqvist and Kunitz. Speed and youth of guys like Rust, Wilson, Sheary, Kuhnhackl. And a solid 3C in Staal or Bonino. That is where Sullivan had success, with that type of lineup, and we've gotten away from all of those things then left wondering why it isn't working.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

That isn't what I wanted to hear. That weas a kick in the BALLZ. Just get Sully out of there like YESTERDAY!
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Whysh and Emily Kaplan. Two people I wouldn't be looking to for inside info. Kaplan didn't really say anything new that other outlets have already been reporting.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:46 pm Whysh and Emily Kaplan. Two people I wouldn't be looking to for inside info. Kaplan didn't really say anything new that other outlets have already been reporting.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of either myself. Throw Leah Hextall and Jack Edwards in there, and you probably have my 4 most disliked voices in hockey.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Was running some numbers for a Twitter response to someone. Thought I'd share those here.

Puustinen played 37 games last season where he had 10 minutes or more TOI in the game. He had 16 points in those games.
Puustinen played 15 games last season where he had under 10 minutes TOI in the game. He had 3 points in those games.

He's not a defensive liability, but he needs TOI to produce. Next season, he should be a staple on the 3rd line, and at the very least, a mainstay on PP2 in the left circle, where he's made a living ripping shots in the NHL. Sully put him there like one time and gave up.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

Keeping things in perspective, search the coaching stats on Sullivan. I had forgotten how little of a resume he had at WBS. Success coaching the Penguins, until Playoffs post Stanley Cup wins. Then, results are dismal. Fireable. Unacceptable.

What is the connection with him and FSG? Is he married into the clique or Boy's Club?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Molinari says "Not so fast" about that power struggle. I don't have a subscription, so I can't read it:
https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... -vellucci/
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:51 pm
Badger Bob wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:46 pm Whysh and Emily Kaplan. Two people I wouldn't be looking to for inside info. Kaplan didn't really say anything new that other outlets have already been reporting.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of either myself. Throw Leah Hextall and Jack Edwards in there, and you probably have my 4 most disliked voices in hockey.
Couldn't agree more. I'm not a fan of any of the Caps voices either. Listening to Beninati is like raking fingernails across a chalkboard.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Topic swerve here, but I've been following the CHL playoffs, specifically Moose Jaw, and Yager is 10-9-19, 2 GWGs, and plus-9 in 13 playoff games (Warriors are tied 2-2 in series with Saskatoon). I am hoping he's going to make a push for the big club next year. I only have what I've read as a basis for that - although I did see him live a couple times in 2022-23 and he did stand out) - but if he can potentially find a way to the NHL next season, it would have some potential to help with center depth/youth/secondary scoring. Common sense says he plays in the AHL with maybe a callup or two during the season, but if he can force them to keep him up it would be nice.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 100565 »

Should be a fun offseason. Finally have cap space. Other teams should have a little cap space. Pens have some prospects which could be traded or possible contribute next year.

Crosby, Sidney "C"
C
$8,700,000
Malkin, Evgeni "A"
C
$6,100,000
Rust, Bryan
RW, LW
$5,125,000
Rakell, Rickard
RW, LW
$5,000,000
Smith, Reilly
LW, RW
$5,000,000
Bunting, Michael
LW
$4,500,000
Eller, Lars
C
$2,450,000
O'Connor, Drew
LW
$925,000
Puljujärvi, Jesse
RW
$800,000
Nieto, Matt
LW,RW
$900,000
Acciari, Noel
C,RW
$2,000,000
Poulin, Samuel
C,LW
$775,000
Puustinen, Valtteri
RW, LW
$800,000
Karlsson, Erik
RD
$10,000,000
Letang, Kris "A"
RD
$6,100,000
Pettersson, Marcus
LD
$4,025,175
Joseph, Pierre-Olivier
LD
$1,250,000
Ludvig, John
LD
$775,000
Graves, Ryan
LD
$4,500,000
St. Ivany, Jack
RD
$800,000
Jarry, Tristan
G
$5,375,000
Blomqvist, Joel
G
$886,667
Johnson, Jack
$916,667
Petry, Jeff
$1,562,500
TOTAL
$79,266,009
Project Cap
$87,700,000
Cap Space
$8,433,991

I estimated Puustinen, POJ, and St Ivany contracts.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

100565 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:43 am Should be a fun offseason. Finally have cap space. Other teams should have a little cap space. Pens have some prospects which could be traded or possible contribute next year.

Crosby, Sidney "C"
C
$8,700,000
Malkin, Evgeni "A"
C
$6,100,000
Rust, Bryan
RW, LW
$5,125,000
Rakell, Rickard
RW, LW
$5,000,000
Smith, Reilly
LW, RW
$5,000,000
Bunting, Michael
LW
$4,500,000
Eller, Lars
C
$2,450,000
O'Connor, Drew
LW
$925,000
Puljujärvi, Jesse
RW
$800,000
Nieto, Matt
LW,RW
$900,000
Acciari, Noel
C,RW
$2,000,000
Poulin, Samuel
C,LW
$775,000
Puustinen, Valtteri
RW, LW
$800,000
Karlsson, Erik
RD
$10,000,000
Letang, Kris "A"
RD
$6,100,000
Pettersson, Marcus
LD
$4,025,175
Joseph, Pierre-Olivier
LD
$1,250,000
Ludvig, John
LD
$775,000
Graves, Ryan
LD
$4,500,000
St. Ivany, Jack
RD
$800,000
Jarry, Tristan
G
$5,375,000
Blomqvist, Joel
G
$886,667
Johnson, Jack
$916,667
Petry, Jeff
$1,562,500
TOTAL
$79,266,009
Project Cap
$87,700,000
Cap Space
$8,433,991

I estimated Puustinen, POJ, and St Ivany contracts.
I would imagine Reilly Smith is dealt, so that opens up a little more.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

ahawk9 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:08 am Topic swerve here, but I've been following the CHL playoffs, specifically Moose Jaw, and Yager is 10-9-19, 2 GWGs, and plus-9 in 13 playoff games (Warriors are tied 2-2 in series with Saskatoon). I am hoping he's going to make a push for the big club next year. I only have what I've read as a basis for that - although I did see him live a couple times in 2022-23 and he did stand out) - but if he can potentially find a way to the NHL next season, it would have some potential to help with center depth/youth/secondary scoring. Common sense says he plays in the AHL with maybe a callup or two during the season, but if he can force them to keep him up it would be nice.
Is Yager eligible to go to the AHL next year? I thought I remember reading somewhere that he was still too young, and it was NHL or Juniors for him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:06 am
ahawk9 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:08 am Topic swerve here, but I've been following the CHL playoffs, specifically Moose Jaw, and Yager is 10-9-19, 2 GWGs, and plus-9 in 13 playoff games (Warriors are tied 2-2 in series with Saskatoon). I am hoping he's going to make a push for the big club next year. I only have what I've read as a basis for that - although I did see him live a couple times in 2022-23 and he did stand out) - but if he can potentially find a way to the NHL next season, it would have some potential to help with center depth/youth/secondary scoring. Common sense says he plays in the AHL with maybe a callup or two during the season, but if he can force them to keep him up it would be nice.
Is Yager eligible to go to the AHL next year? I thought I remember reading somewhere that he was still too young, and it was NHL or Juniors for him.
Yager just turned 19 in January. I believe you need to turn 20 by a date in September to be able to play in the AHL (so, I don't think when he turns 20 in January they can just immediately take him from Juniors to the AHL).

I have not watched much of Yager to see how his full game is, how his play away from the puck is, etc, but smarter people than me regarding prospects...like Jessie, will say he's still a year or two away. He was 15th in WHL scoring this season, which is very good...but to give you an idea, at least 10 of the players above him were all drafted by teams, and they still aren't in the NHL either. Connor Geekie just signed with Utah. Yager's teammate, Jagger Firkus was a 2nd rounder but lead the league in scoring. He just turned 20 a few days ago. Early 2nd round pick for Seattle.

I'd rather not rush Yager is not needed.