Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by ahawk9 »

I didn't realize the age requirement for the AHL. Thanks for clarifying. I wouldn't want to rush the guy, either, but it would be cool if he somehow forced his way onto the team. Jordan Staal did that. Otherwise, let him develop accordingly. He's shown improvement each season, so just want that to continue so that he can (hopefully) be a meaningful contributor with the big club.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:03 pm https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... j1loUFEAnB

Thank god...
Sully got his scapegoat again. Last season it was Hextall. This season it's Reirden. When does he run out of chances??
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Plus somehow Sullivan got it out that he was almost willing to leave to save Reirden. A jag move if you don't follow through.
Power play got worse, could not comeback with same coach.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:04 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:03 pm https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... j1loUFEAnB

Thank god...
Sully got his scapegoat again. Last season it was Hextall. This season it's Reirden. When does he run out of chances??
I really liked Reirden, but for whatever reason, the PP failed and cost the team a postseason berth. Dubas will likely bring in one of his guys now. Hopefully, a new voice will help and improve the PP.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

At least it's something.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Thank god...
He's a cat. Do the math.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Thank god...
Ask Mike Tomlin
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Crash66 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:19 pm

Thank god...
He's a cat. Do the math.
So, based on a cat's 9 lives, Sullivan will be let go when his new contract extension expires...4 years of 1st round exits, 2 years of missed playoffs. 3 lives left.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:12 pm

Thank god...
I really liked Reirden, but for whatever reason, the PP failed and cost the team a postseason berth. Dubas will likely bring in one of his guys now. Hopefully, a new voice will help and improve the PP.
Jagr for PP coach, hire someone else for the defense, and swap Vellucci and the defensive guy on a game by game basis behind the bench. A shame we let Gonchar go. Reirden's defensive whisperer mantra must have worn off, and reached yelling levels, with Ryan Graves. :lol:
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:54 pm

Thank god...
Jagr for PP coach, hire someone else for the defense, and swap Vellucci and the defensive guy on a game by game basis behind the bench. A shame we let Gonchar go. Reirden's defensive whisperer mantra must have worn off, and reached yelling levels, with Ryan Graves. :lol:
It shouldn't be too difficult to find someone who has a decent track record as a PP coach, and has had recent success. We need a new voice, who doesn't cater to egos, to come in whip things into shape. Getting to be at least a top 15 ranked PP shouldn't require a miracle worker.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

dark_forces wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:32 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:54 pm

Thank god...
It shouldn't be too difficult to find someone who has a decent track record as a PP coach, and has had recent success. We need a new voice, who doesn't cater to egos, to come in whip things into shape. Getting to be at least a top 15 ranked PP shouldn't require a miracle worker.
Wonder what Phil Kessel is doing these days??
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Sid is not playing for Canada.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

These playoff teams are all very similar in talent. Really does come down to coaching and structure. Look at how the Canes D pinches, a forward always covers. Same with the Bruins. Pens never do that. Way too much freelancing in the Pens game.

Power play goals can win you games. Pens have the 30th ranked PP. They have the talent to be much better. They just need a better coach and system.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

KG wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:58 pm These playoff teams are all very similar in talent. Really does come down to coaching and structure. Look at how the Canes D pinches, a forward always covers. Same with the Bruins. Pens never do that. Way too much freelancing in the Pens game.

Power play goals can win you games. Pens have the 30th ranked PP. They have the talent to be much better. They just need a better coach and system.
“Never”? Our F covers for a pinching D all the time….
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:15 pm
KG wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:58 pm These playoff teams are all very similar in talent. Really does come down to coaching and structure. Look at how the Canes D pinches, a forward always covers. Same with the Bruins. Pens never do that. Way too much freelancing in the Pens game.

Fine, how about “rarely”. We led the league in short handed goals against with 12. This team has been bleeding odd man rushes against for years.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

KG wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:48 pm

Fine, how about “rarely”. We led the league in short handed goals against with 12. This team has been bleeding odd man rushes against for years.
Thanks to Letang. Now it's multiplied by the EK effect.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:09 am
KG wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:48 pm

Thanks to Letang. Now it's multiplied by the EK effect.
Add Malkin to your list...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Now that the Leafs are out (again) there are already talks about if they will move Marner and if Dubas would have interest. Marner just turned 27, RW had 85 points in 69 games. Didn't have a great playoff so they may look to move him since he 1 year away from being a UFA.

Pens don't necessarily need him, but it all depends on the cost to acquire. He would certainly help our power play and provide some needed skill to the top 6. No idea what a trade would look like but Toronto is in win now mode so I don't think they will want all futures, nor should the Pens move them.

Maybe a Karlsson + for Marner trade makes sense? I think Toronto was one of the few teams that were in on Karlsson this past summer. Toronto is said to be looking for more mobility from their blueline.

Something to ponder...
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

:o This thread is on page 87. I feel something magical is on the way!.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:35 am Now that the Leafs are out (again) there are already talks about if they will move Marner and if Dubas would have interest. Marner just turned 27, RW had 85 points in 69 games. Didn't have a great playoff so they may look to move him since he 1 year away from being a UFA.

Pens don't necessarily need him, but it all depends on the cost to acquire. He would certainly help our power play and provide some needed skill to the top 6. No idea what a trade would look like but Toronto is in win now mode so I don't think they will want all futures, nor should the Pens move them.

Maybe a Karlsson + for Marner trade makes sense? I think Toronto was one of the few teams that were in on Karlsson this past summer. Toronto is said to be looking for more mobility from their blueline.

Something to ponder...
I do wonder if Toronto will look to shake things up after not getting anywhere close to the Cup yet again. They don't have much salary committed to defense. Maybe they would be interested in Karlsson.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

largegarlic wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:58 am
KG wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:35 am Now that the Leafs are out (again) there are already talks about if they will move Marner and if Dubas would have interest. Marner just turned 27, RW had 85 points in 69 games. Didn't have a great playoff so they may look to move him since he 1 year away from being a UFA.

Something to ponder...
I do wonder if Toronto will look to shake things up after not getting anywhere close to the Cup yet again. They don't have much salary committed to defense. Maybe they would be interested in Karlsson.
I do not think Dubas is ready to give up on his 1st big move and signature trade as Pen's GM.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

What is the god for perpetual disappointment, that's the maple leaf's to Toronto.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:47 pm
largegarlic wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:58 am

Something to ponder...
I do not think Dubas is ready to give up on his 1st big move and signature trade as Pen's GM.
I've seen a former Leafs player or two throwing Marner under the bus for some of his comments. I've also seen some comments that the Leafs may eliminate the POHO position (meaning Shanahan potentially out), and that the Leafs are done with the days of 4 guys each making 10M AAV.

Sounds like some big changes may happen there, but I don't think they want anything to do with Karlsson.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Senators are finalizing a deal with Travis Green to be their new head coach. That means there is a head coach vacancy in NJ...hmmmm :)