23-24 Penguins Injury Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 23-24 Penguins Injury Thread

Post by Ericf »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:13 pm Madden is floating the idea that they should go sign Phil the Thrill for league minimum.
Lol. Not a good idea and not because of how Phil left the organization. We need to play defensive hockey to be successful. We just don’t have the horses and shooters to play the aggressive hockey the core prefers. Does Madden really see Phil as being able to play that style? Lol
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Here’s what Sully would do. Place Rickard Rakell and Chad Ruhwedel on injured reserve. Recall Alex Nylander and Jansen Harkins from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Recall John Ludvig from his conditioning loan with WBS.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Ericf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:36 pm
Badger Bob wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:13 pm Madden is floating the idea that they should go sign Phil the Thrill for league minimum.
Lol. Not a good idea and not because of how Phil left the organization. We need to play defensive hockey to be successful. We just don’t have the horses and shooters to play the aggressive hockey the core prefers. Does Madden really see Phil as being able to play that style? Lol
Phil has probably eaten too many hotdogs at this point of the season.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Nylander, Harkins, Ludvig recalled

So we see tonight :
Guentzel - Crosby - Rust?
Smith - Malkin - Nylander
DOC - Eller - Zohorna
Nieto - Acciari - Harkins
Letang - Graves
Pettersson - Karlsson
Shea - Ludvig
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:44 pm Nylander, Harkins, Ludvig recalled

So we see tonight :
Guentzel - Crosby - Rust?
DOC - Eller - Zohorna
Nieto - Acciari - Harkins
Letang - Graves
Pettersson - Karlsson
Shea - Ludvig
From what I read Hinostroza is healthy and took Rusts spot on line 1. Expecting Nylander with Malkin, 3rd line to be the same, and Carter will likely slot in over Harkins...my guess anyways.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

In a weird way, I'm excited to see the lines get wild for once. I'm hoping there is some unexpected chemistry that can be built by forcing Sullivan to get creative.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Hard to get any gauge of what the lineup will be when it's an optional skate on game day, but this was just posted on Pittsburghhockeynow.com:
Forwards Jansen Harkins and Alex Nylander, who were recalled Wednesday after Rickard Rakell and Chad Ruhwedel went on IR, participated in the optional skate.

Winger Matt Nieto, who had a maintenance day Wednesday for the second time recently, and defenseman Dmitri Samorukov, who was signed Wednesday, also were on the ice.

Defenseman John Ludvig, who was officially recalled from a conditioning assignment in the AHL Wednesday but has been practicing with the Penguins, participated. He is still officially on long-term IR because of a concussion. but that could change before game time.

The others who participated were forward Radim Zohorna, defenseman Ryan Shea and goaltenders Tristan Jarry and Alex Nedeljlkovic.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Ericf wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:36 pm
I honestly think Phil is washed up and wouldn't add much aside from an initial adrenaline charged rush lasting a couple of weeks.
I still feel the 3rd line needs a better RW. That's why it still upsets me that Kapanen didn't work out. Had he worked out, he would've been perfect. Zohorna is a good player, but I like him more on the 4th line, [Nieto-Acciari-Zohorna]
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 am Hard to get any gauge of what the lineup will be when it's an optional skate on game day, but this was just posted on Pittsburghhockeynow.com:
Forwards Jansen Harkins and Alex Nylander, who were recalled Wednesday after Rickard Rakell and Chad Ruhwedel went on IR, participated in the optional skate.

Winger Matt Nieto, who had a maintenance day Wednesday for the second time recently, and defenseman Dmitri Samorukov, who was signed Wednesday, also were on the ice.

Defenseman John Ludvig, who was officially recalled from a conditioning assignment in the AHL Wednesday but has been practicing with the Penguins, participated. He is still officially on long-term IR because of a concussion. but that could change before game time.

The others who participated were forward Radim Zohorna, defenseman Ryan Shea and goaltenders Tristan Jarry and Alex Nedeljlkovic.
Interesting. I knew they signed Samorukov, but I didn't know they also recalled him with the others.
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

I say throw DOC up in a top 6 spot. Try and get that guy going. He looked really good preseason skating on a line in place of Jake when it was expected he was going to be out to start the year. I know its preseason, but DOC seems to be a guy who elevates his play when playing with the better players.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Odd that Samorukov is up with the big club, I thought he will go straight back to WBS.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Guentzel - Crosby - Hinostroza (Zohorna)
DOC - Eller - Zohorna (Harkins)
Nieto - Acciari - Carter
xHarkins

Letang - Graves
Pettersson - Karlsson
Shea - Ludvig (Samorukov)
xSamorukov

I think Harkins and Samorukov are up to fill in if Vinnie and Ludvig (both coming off injuries) aren't ready to play. Not expecting either to play.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Ludvig was removed from LTIR.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Jansen Harkins recalled again. I guess he wanted to have NHL-level turkey dinner.

Also per SethR, Sam Poulin was practicing with the Penguins today. He's still recovering from an injury with WBS.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Rust back at practice full contact. Looking like he'll play today.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:50 am Rust back at practice full contact. Looking like he'll play today.
Per Sullivan, he skated in regular jersey, but he is not in the lineup tonight.

Rakell injury is reportedly something new, not a nagging injury.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:23 am
KG wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:50 am Rust back at practice full contact. Looking like he'll play today.
Per Sullivan, he skated in regular jersey, but he is not in the lineup tonight.

Rakell injury is reportedly something new, not a nagging injury.
Boo. Hopefully Rust will be back tomorrow. We don't have the depth to sustain injuries to the top 6 for very long.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Matt Nieto to injured reserve.

Acciari still not practicing

Nylander recalled for Nieto.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Rust out Friday with upper body injury.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Admin wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:21 pm Rust out Friday with upper body injury.
So is that Val Puustinen's music....or are we going to call up Joe Q Defensward the 15th?

Jensen Harkins, 1st line forward. This is exactly what I feared this summer. 2 top 6ers go down, and this lineup looks like 3/4 of an ECHL team.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:28 pm
So is that Val Puustinen's music....or are we going to call up Joe Q Defensward the 15th?

Jensen Harkins, 1st line forward. This is exactly what I feared this summer. 2 top 6ers go down, and this lineup looks like 3/4 of an ECHL team.
I'm sure you saw this: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/team ... eed/page/1

Jake Guentzel - Sidney Crosby - Drew O'Connor
Reilly Smith - Evgeni Malkin - Alex Nylander
Vinnie Hinostroza - Lars Eller - Jeff Carter
Jansen Harkins - Joona Koppanen - Radim Zohorna

With Hinsostroza to the TOP powerplay unit! :face:

This is what happens when your organization has no depth. Are we missing Rackell yet?

Also, does everyone else hope that Rudwedal isn't auto-slotted right back in when he returns? I kind of like our bottom pair a lot right now, especially Ludwig.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Rust out week-to-week. Announced by Sullivan.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Admin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:34 pm Rust out week-to-week. Announced by Sullivan.
Not good. Probably why they're signing people to PTO's.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

So we want Jeff Carter on LTIR do we? Well, apparently Jordin Tootoo wrote the book on how to get that done, literally:
Spoiler:
EDIT: Looks like this may not be entirely true, as transactions show he did go down and tell a different story...but still not a good look for Stan Bowman to even consider doing this (even though most people believe this happens often).
Last edited by FLPensFan on Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Ouch. That stings. It's not like our massive bucket of spare parts can't play -- they can't score to save their lives.
Spoiler: