23-24 Penguins Injury Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

23-24 Penguins Injury Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 23-24 Penguins Injury Thread

Post by Skatingpen »

Well he made it 3 games……. Pretty good
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

You know whats worse than the bottom 6 or the 3rd D pairing....the Pens medical staff. Ugh

This is what is happening today. Letang say's his knee hurts, the Pens medical staff starts to look at his arm.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens Inside Scoop

@PensInsideScoop
Great news - both Kris Letang and Noel Acciari are back at practice this morning.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Queue the Benny Hill music....

John Ludvig is concussed. I think we knew/expected that, but the Benny Hill music is for the following:

Nedeljkovic is also injured according to Haase and Mike Sullivan, and his injury is significant enough that it needs further evaluation. Don't overthink "significant," Ned skated before practice but left before it began. Sullivan said he was unaware if Ned could backup on Thursday against Colorado.

Where to turn up the Benny Hill music to 11...unless the Penguins think Ludvig's concussion is severe enough to put him on LTIR (requiring him to miss 10 games and 24 days), the Penguins don't have the cap space to recall a goalie. In that case, EBUG/practice goalie Mike Chiasson would be dressing as Jarry's backup tomorrow. :face: :face: :face:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... h-zohorna/

Pittsburgh Penguins
@penguins
·
26m
The Penguins have placed goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic on injured reserve and re-assigned forward Radim Zohorna to the
@WBSPenguins

Goaltender Magnus Hellberg and forward Corey Andonovski have been recalled from WBS.

Zohorna is just a paper move to create cap space apparently.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:33 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... h-zohorna/

Pittsburgh Penguins
@penguins
·
26m
The Penguins have placed goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic on injured reserve and re-assigned forward Radim Zohorna to the
@WBSPenguins

Goaltender Magnus Hellberg and forward Corey Andonovski have been recalled from WBS.

Zohorna is just a paper move to create cap space apparently.
According to Taylor, this is all likely cap movements to try and get the team to a specific amount of cap space left before putting Nedeljkovic on LTIR. The end-game thinking, according to Taylor
--Nedeljkovic to LTIR
--Hellberg up as replacement
--Then Andonovski goes back down and Zohorna comes back up.

....and the hits just keep on rollin'
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

From Taylor....

• Injured defenseman Mark Pysyk, who was in camp on a PTO but is currently unsigned, skated with one of the Penguins' skating coaches before the skate started.

It would be great if he was ready to go in a week or two, and we signed him to a minimum salary deal. If healthy, he should be an upgrade on Ruhwedel for certain. Then you have POJ, Shea, and Ludvig fighting it out for the LD 3rd pairing spot.

From Shelly Anderson:

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Blomqvist recalled for tonight's game; in order to make room for him, John Ludvig was placed on LTIR.

From what I read yesterday, the "good" news is that Sully stated Jarry's injury is related to the shot he took from the puck after Henrique's contact with his head. Sounds like he was cut by the shot after his mask had shifted due to Henrique's contact.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Ludvig is only on regular IR? To make cap space Vinnie was sent back to WBS. So Carter is in tonight unless we dress 7 defensemen.

Pens only said IR, do they usually specify LTIR? Taylor Hasse seems to think it’s LTIR. CapFriendly hasn’t weighed in yet with the movements today but the math works out since we are about $100K short with just one move.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:24 pm Ludvig is only on regular IR? To make cap space Vinnie was sent back to WBS. So Carter is in tonight unless we dress 7 defensemen.

Pens only said IR, do they usually specify LTIR? Taylor Hasse seems to think it’s LTIR. CapFriendly hasn’t weighed in yet with the movements today but the math works out since we are about $100K short with just one move.
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/team ... eed/page/1

Taylor Haase
12:14 PM - NOVEMBER 9, 2023 LOS ANGELES
PENGUINS RECALL BLOMQVIST, HINOSTROZA RE-ASSIGNED FOR CAP PURPOSES
The Penguins recalled goaltender Joel Blomqvist from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton ahead of Thursday’s 10:38 p.m. game against the Kings.

That likely means that Magnus Hellberg will start and Tristan Jarry isn’t able to play, or is at least questionable after he was cut in the right eyebrow area when his mask got dislodged Tuesday against the Ducks and he took a shot to the face.

The first corresponding move was putting John Ludvig on long-term injured reserve to free up the necessary salary cap space. That alone didn’t free up enough space, so Vinnie Hinostroza was also re-assigned to the AHL. Only Hinostroza and Radim Zohorna were exempt from waivers still and able to be re-assigned on short notice. Hinostroza being re-assigned means that Jeff Carter will play against the Kings.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:56 pm
DelPen wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:24 pm Ludvig is only on regular IR? To make cap space Vinnie was sent back to WBS. So Carter is in tonight unless we dress 7 defensemen.

Taylor Haase
The Penguins recalled goaltender Joel Blomqvist from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton ahead of Thursday’s 10:38 p.m. game against the Kings.

That likely means that Magnus Hellberg will start and Tristan Jarry isn’t able to play, or is at least questionable after he was cut in the right eyebrow area when his mask got dislodged Tuesday against the Ducks and he took a shot to the face.

The first corresponding move was putting John Ludvig on long-term injured reserve to free up the necessary salary cap space. That alone didn’t free up enough space, so Vinnie Hinostroza was also re-assigned to the AHL. Only Hinostroza and Radim Zohorna were exempt from waivers still and able to be re-assigned on short notice. Hinostroza being re-assigned means that Jeff Carter will play against the Kings.
Thanks Hextall...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:57 pm
KG wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:56 pm

Taylor Haase

Thanks Hextall...
Carter playing against the Kings was practically a given anyway. Sully's just like that.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Carttts not practicing. Out with an "upper-body injury."

Maybe that's the first step to him going on LTIR with said "upper-body injury" and giving the Pens $3.1mill in cap space! One can wish...
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Carter; “Twist my arm if you must to get me out of the lineup.”

Challenge Accepted
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Three Stars wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:34 pm Carter; “Twist my arm if you must to get me out of the lineup.”

Challenge Accepted
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Unbeliever »

KG wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:24 pm Carttts not practicing. Out with an "upper-body injury."

Maybe that's the first step to him going on LTIR with said "upper-body injury" and giving the Pens $3.1mill in cap space! One can wish...
Step one: Ask Carter to embellish so we can put him on LTIR. Tell him he will be scratched anyway the rest of the regular season and if he goes along he will get some token ice time in the playoffs if we go on a run.
Step two: Use the money to sign another aging vet that doesn't ruin our average age. I hear Kane wants to go to the east. Put him on a line with geno and smith.
Step three: You lied when you told Carter he would get ice time in the playoffs.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Unbeliever wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:43 pm
KG wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:24 pm Carttts not practicing. Out with an "upper-body injury."

Step one: Ask Carter to embellish so we can put him on LTIR. Tell him he will be scratched anyway the rest of the regular season and if he goes along he will get some token ice time in the playoffs if we go on a run.
Step two: Use the money to sign another aging vet that doesn't ruin our average age. I hear Kane wants to go to the east. Put him on a line with geno and smith.
Step three: You lied when you told Carter he would get ice time in the playoffs.
Lol
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Unbeliever wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:43 pm

Let's be classy and not lie.

Step three: Hand Carter the keys to the zamboni in the PPG arena.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Malkin and Nieto missing from practice today. I'm really hoping it's just a maintenance type thing for 71. As for Nieto, I wouldn't mind seeing someone from the minors take that spot to be honest. He's just an empty sweater out there - not sure really what he adds at this point.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:17 pm Malkin and Nieto missing from practice today. I'm really hoping it's just a maintenance type thing for 71. As for Nieto, I wouldn't mind seeing someone from the minors take that spot to be honest. He's just an empty sweater out there - not sure really what he adds at this point.
Malkin was not feeling well. Nieto had a maintenance day, and I'm ready for someone else to be given a shot. He just hasn't shown me anything. I keep repeating it, but what I am seeing from Hinostroza is what I expected to see out of Nieto.

In other news, I have seen zero announcement ANYWHERE by the Penguins or local media, but, all of the sudden, Mark Pysyk is suiting up for WBS tonight. I know he was getting close, but I never heard anything that he was signed or going to get a conditioning assignment.

Pysyk supposed to be on WBS top pairing with Hajek on LD.

EDIT: WBS Penguins just told me Pysyk is on a PTO with the AHL club.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Yeah, there was an actual announcement a week or so back that Pysyk had signed a PTO with WBS, so no one was trying to keep a secret there. I'm pretty sure someone posted it somewhere here, as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sigwolf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:38 pm Yeah, there was an actual announcement a week or so back that Pysyk had signed a PTO with WBS, so no one was trying to keep a secret there. I'm pretty sure someone posted it somewhere here, as well.
Weird. Looks like I just missed that one. Was announced Nov 2nd, and this isn't his first game with WBS. *shrug*
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

It's a graceful way to keep Pysyk around at least. With injuries and everything, he would not have gotten a contract in PIT just yet, but he was looking like he'd replace Chad. He's in the system, doesn't take a roster spot yet and can be contracted to the big club at a moment's notice.

Tell me you're in the depth chart, without telling me you're on the depth chart