Poll: Should Sid be on the shootout?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Should Sid be on the shootout?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:09 am

Keep Sid
65%
Remove Sid & use Staal or Ruutu
29%
Remove Sid & use someone else
5%

Total votes: 78

dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Poll: Should Sid be on the shootout?

Post by dboss »

I think this is a real catch 22 for MT. Any thoughts?
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Poll: Should Sid be on the shootout?

Post by pensfan20 »

dboss wrote:I think this is a real catch 22 for MT. Any thoughts?
It is a catch 22. If you use him and he doesnt score, are you hurting crosby or are you showing confidence in him? Or does it help the other teams goalie? if you stop sid does that boost your confidence for the next shooters?(not that that happened the last 2 shootouts) But then ask yourself what does this do to Stall and the other guys that think they could score and they keep being snubbed only to watch crosby miss time and time again.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

He's the best player in the game, he needs to get better at them, not stop doing them.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

pfim wrote:He's the best player in the game, he needs to get better at them, not stop doing them.
The goal is to win the game. use the guys who are best at this. Ruutu showed last year and on his penalty shot that he's better than Sid. Use him. Won't happen, but it should.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Mad City Mike wrote:
pfim wrote:He's the best player in the game, he needs to get better at them, not stop doing them.
The goal is to win the game. use the guys who are best at this. Ruutu showed last year and on his penalty shot that he's better than Sid. Use him. Won't happen, but it should.
I just don't buy it, there's more to be gained with Crosby improving than giving a few shots to Ruutu this season.
dogwithshftyeyes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dogwithshftyeyes »

dont use him in the top 3, but if it goes beyond that, he should be 4 or 5
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

2/13.....it dosen't look like its getting any better
So, he's incapable of improving?

If my team is one point from a playoff spot and down to the last shooter, I'd pick the leader of the team and the best player in the game every single time.
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by heshootsandscores »

pfim wrote:
2/13.....it dosen't look like its getting any better
So, he's incapable of improving?

If my team is one point from a playoff spot and down to the last shooter, I'd pick the leader of the team and the best player in the game every single time.
KEEP HIM...if there is anyone devoted to improving his skills, it's him. He worked all summer on faceoffs, and has improved. He is a truely devoted player, like none i have ever seen. He plays 100% every game.
Jimmy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Jimmy66 »

pfim wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
I just don't buy it, there's more to be gained with Crosby improving than giving a few shots to Ruutu this season.
That's what practices are for, improvement in these areas. If Ruutu is better than it is not just giving him a few extra shots, it is giving us a better chance to win, use him in the top three. Let crosby go 4 or 5. Crosby would certainly understand if it was for the betterment of the team.
elij21

Post by elij21 »

Crosby is there best players, he wants to go out there so he has the right to do soo and have the pressure. He made goods moves on almost all of his attempts. He's going to get the monkey of his back, he just needs to simply his chances like in the all-star game.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

There is a large factor of luck in this. Sid seems to have had some bad luck the last two shootouts (great save vs. Dallas, puck took a bad bounce last night). Things will even out and he'll be fine. No way you take him out of it.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by spi »

It is amazing to think that the kid still has some learning to do but hey, he hasnt completed his second season. Best way to get better is to take them. He needs to get his confidence back and he will be ok. To get it back, he needs to shoot.

The lessons he is learning now could pay dividends down the road. I say keep him there b/c he will figure it out very soon
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

dogwithshftyeyes wrote:dont use him in the top 3, but if it goes beyond that, he should be 4 or 5

I agree, at least for now.

I voted to use Staahl or Ruutu. They've both done pretty good on break away/penalty shots.

Sid is 0 for this season and only 2/13 overall. A guy of his caliber is not going to lose confidence in anything. In fact, I think it will drive him to be better.

I do think if it goes to a 4th or 5th shooter, use him.

But right now, he is not getting the job done.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I'd say keep him in there - he is our best player. Keep E.C. too, but rotate a third guy in - Ruutu, Staal, Malkin.
SDPensFan

Post by SDPensFan »

You gotta keep Sid in there, He's our best player.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan20 »

SDPensFan wrote:You gotta keep Sid in there, He's our best player.
so with that theory should we be putting Fleury in the SO order? Common people, yes he is our BEST player but not in the SO. We need to win games and to win games you put your aces in their places! So you pick your best 3 SO players and put them in there. Crosby would say the same thing. he is such a team player that he would be the first to say to sit him if he isnt performing to his ability.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

so with that theory should we be putting Fleury in the SO order?
Yeah, I can see how those situations are alike. :roll:
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan20 »

pfim wrote:
so with that theory should we be putting Fleury in the SO order?
Yeah, I can see how those situations are alike. :roll:
sarcasm its a beutiful thing...
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Senka »

i was one of the first people to start a thread like this early in the season after a frustrating crosby. Truth is it doesnt matter what we all think -- he'll be in there every single night. MT has alreadystated he will not sit his best player no matter the circumstances. On top of that, i no longer mind him out there. If i was to replace him I'd use Gonchar, Staal, Whitney, & Ruutu in that order. But im content. EC uses his same move everytime and scores... and MAC has been doing much much better. No complaints my way. This team is on a tear. not to mention -- Crosby hasnt been a factor, but he doesnt need to be. Therefore its simply practice for him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Christensen
Staal

Malkin or Crosby, if one of them scored in the previous shootout, then they go again, if not, the other one goes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

and obviously if staal doesn't work out it has to be reworked, and if christensen dies on shootouts then he could be removed.