WBS Pens re-sign Bonvie

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
Admin
Site Admin

WBS Pens re-sign Bonvie

Post by Admin »

Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

The most popular Baby Penguin ever...is back. Woo!
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

Kovy27 wrote:The most popular Baby Penguin ever...is back. Woo!
:roll:
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

eastonpensfan wrote:
:roll:
:D :wink: :twisted:
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Daniel87 »

I know this is completely off topic but why is it that some minor league clubs have players numbers retired? I guess the talk of a permanent Ahl player like Bonvie got me to thinking about it. Because I was at a Chiefs game once and remember seeing numbers retired up in the rafters. If the player was that good why wasn't he playing with the big club? I thought maybe there were cases like Michel Briere where the player was supposed to be pretty good but unexpectedly died young or maybe the player turned out to be good and the team wanted to show that he used to play there.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

Daniel87 wrote:I know this is completely off topic but why is it that some minor league clubs have players numbers retired? I guess the talk of a permanent Ahl player like Bonvie got me to thinking about it. Because I was at a Chiefs game once and remember seeing numbers retired up in the rafters. If the player was that good why wasn't he playing with the big club? I thought maybe there were cases like Michel Briere where the player was supposed to be pretty good but unexpectedly died young or maybe the player turned out to be good and the team wanted to show that he used to play there.
Most of the time with retired minor-league players, they have done something special for hockey in that area.

Bonvie will probably have his number retired or be in some sort of hall of fame thing in Wilkes-Barre because of what he has meant for hockey in NE PA. The Arena is nicknamed "The House that Bonvie Built". That's because he had a big hand in growing the attendance and the fan base, as well as reaching out to the community.

Bonvie does an annual hockey camp for kids and a lot for the less fortunate in this area.

I'm not a fan of his play on the ice, but he is a genuinely good guy off of the ice. He and Matt Carkner did wonderful things for the people in this area last year.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Daniel87 wrote:I know this is completely off topic but why is it that some minor league clubs have players numbers retired? I guess the talk of a permanent Ahl player like Bonvie got me to thinking about it. Because I was at a Chiefs game once and remember seeing numbers retired up in the rafters. If the player was that good why wasn't he playing with the big club? I thought maybe there were cases like Michel Briere where the player was supposed to be pretty good but unexpectedly died young or maybe the player turned out to be good and the team wanted to show that he used to play there.
One was Galen Head, a very good person and player. He helped establish the Bishop McCourt Hockey team. Another was Dick Roberge # 11, another solid player in Johnstown. Don Hall # 9 was the third. I remember Roberge and Head playing. I don't remember Hall, as I wasn't born yet.

http://www.fed-up.com/dad/
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If any WBS player ever deserves to have his number retired it's Bonvie. The guy leads the AHL in career PIM's.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I remember watching the WCW Nitro back in the day and seeing a wrestler wear a Bonvie jersey to get a cheer from the crowd.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Ron` wrote:
Daniel87 wrote: Another was Dick Roberge # 11, another solid player in Johnstown. Don Hall # 9 was the third. I remember Roberge and Head playing.
http://www.fed-up.com/dad/
Roberge is professional hockey’s all-time leading scorer with 1,699 points, 737 goals and 962 assists in 1,158 games during 17 seasons.
This could be why Roberge's # is retired, although I think they meant minor league hockey's all time leading scorer. I also think I read somewhere that he in Slapshot, as the ref who tossed Hanrahan from the game but I'm not 100% on that. That alone should be enough reason to retire his number. :)
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

Dennis Bonvie is professional hockey's all-time leader in PIMs. I guess that's worth having your number retired for. :roll:
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: WBS Pens re-sign Bonvie

Post by pittsports87 »

Can anyone tell me why it says I have a new post in this thread but the most recent post was on July 25, 2007?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: WBS Pens re-sign Bonvie

Post by JS© »

pittsports87 wrote:Can anyone tell me why it says I have a new post in this thread but the most recent post was on July 25, 2007?
because you bumped it. ;)

I don't know. I thought maybe there was a recent edit, but i don't see anything.