TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: TV Shows

Post by knives of ice »

The Jinx should win every award. the very definition of riveting.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Just watched an episode of NHL Tonight. It sucked, has anyone seen this show? :pop:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

canaan wrote:last man on earth. that girl is grating. i get that its the point. it just doesnt make for entertaining television for me.
Eh. Maybe I was expecting super annoying based on what I'd read before watching, but I haven't found her to be that bad. Certainly not so much to keep me from continuing to watch.
Jim wrote:I quit watching part way through ep2 and removed it from the DVR queue. Season 1 should have been the opening of the first episode. Him driving around the country looking for people and collecting all of the cool stuff that he set up in his house. They could have made it really funny AND interesting. Instead, they introduced a second person in a show called "Last Man on Earth" IN EPISODE 1!
There was probably a reason why they called it the "Last Man" and not the "Last Person." :pop:
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Kimmy Schmidt is pretty damn funny and I love Ellie Kemper.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Just watched a few episodes of South Park, and they make me laugh every time. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are geniuses

I understand most people on here probably think it's a stupid show. But the Honey BooBoo episodes and "Jewpacabra" Episodes are great. I hope they don't offend anyone.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Kimmy Schmidt is pretty damn funny and I love Ellie Kemper.
haven't seen it, but my guess is that the latter heavily influences the former.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I am angry at The Blacklist for essentially airing a clip show last week. This isn't an 80's sitcom...
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

PensFanInDC wrote:I am angry at The Blacklist for essentially airing a clip show last week. This isn't an 80's sitcom...
Oh wow. That's fantastic. I haven't seen a clip show episode in at least a decade and a half. Who could possibly think that was a good idea?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I am angry at The Blacklist for essentially airing a clip show last week. This isn't an 80's sitcom...
Oh wow. That's fantastic. I haven't seen a clip show episode in at least a decade and a half. Who could possibly think that was a good idea?
There were points when it was hard to discern clips from current action. I kept thinking RR was part of flashback only to realize he was real-time.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

The clip show montage is one of the criteria for "jumping the shark."

I don't remember the last time I watched a show that did that.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I found one. Episode 14 of season six of The Office was a clip show. I remember it being terrible. Last clip show episode I remember watching before that was the two part clip episode before the Seinfeld series finale.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

It wasn't a full "clip show" but I would say just under 1/2 of the episode were clips from previous episodes. It reeked of "we couldn't even full 42 minutes of air time".
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

PensFanInDC wrote:It wasn't a full "clip show" but I would say just under 1/2 of the episode were clips from previous episodes. It reeked of "we couldn't even full 42 minutes of air time".
I wouldn't say that. I'd say it reeked of "people are trying to catch up via streaming and we need to get them watching in real-time so that we can up our ad rates"
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

relantel wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
There were points when it was hard to discern clips from current action. I kept thinking RR was part of flashback only to realize he was real-time.
i was having trouble with this as well
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Silicone Valley Season 2 to air April 12th on HBO. Love this show
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

The Seinfeld finale being a clip show was a disgrace
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

knives of ice wrote:The Jinx should win every award. the very definition of riveting.
I watched the first episode last night. They mentioned he went to Scarsdale High School and showed his yearbook picture along with Dorothy Cine. I thought, how old is he? A quick google search showed he was born near the same year as my mom....who also went to Scarsdale High School. I have my mom's old year books so I went and had a look. Yup...there he is... It's kinda freaky...

/csb
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

PensFanInDC wrote:
knives of ice wrote:The Jinx should win every award. the very definition of riveting.
I watched the first episode last night. They mentioned he went to Scarsdale High School and showed his yearbook picture along with Dorothy Cine. I thought, how old is he? A quick google search showed he was born near the same year as my mom....who also went to Scarsdale High School. I have my mom's old year books so I went and had a look. Yup...there he is... It's kinda freaky...

/csb
Supposedly they are now looking into him being tied to the disappearance of two teenage girls, one who worked at a business he regularly frequented and another with no known ties to him.

The show gets much better by ep 3 so stick with it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I know nothing about him or the case. I am thinking the less I know the better. I'm still totally creeped out that this dude went to HS with my mom. I wish she were still around (for many reasons) so I could ask her about him.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Kimmy Schmidt is pretty damn funny and I love Ellie Kemper.
I was unsure at first, but by the end of it, I thought the characters were more fleshed out and it got pretty good. This especially goes for Kimmy herself. I liked Ellie Kemper in small doses, but was worried about her doing the normal good-natured, incredibly naive schtick as the central character for a whole season. However, her character did get more nuanced and interesting as things progressed.

Spoiler for last several episodes:
Spoiler:
Jon Hamm's cameo as the nut job reverend was fantastic...definitely one of the funniest bits I've seen in any show in a while.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote:I know nothing about him or the case. I am thinking the less I know the better. I'm still totally creeped out that this dude went to HS with my mom. I wish she were still around (for many reasons) so I could ask her about him.
that is definitely creepy, I've found myself become somewhat obsessed with his recent arrest. This guy is so bizarre. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but after watching the documentary, I do find him somewhat likable. Anyone else get that? I don't feel bad for him or anything like that, but there is some strange likableness (is that a word?) to him...
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I watched the first two episodes of the Kimmie show.

I thought she was funny, but I'm getting tired of the NYC centric shows. All these NYC elements are self evident at this point, putting a naive adult in NYC to experience the greatest city on earth is lame.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Troy Loney wrote:I watched the first two episodes of the Kimmie show.

I thought she was funny, but I'm getting tired of the NYC centric shows. All these NYC elements are self evident at this point, putting a naive adult in NYC to experience the greatest city on earth is lame.
yes, everyone knows Pittsburgh is the greatest city on earth (just not the happiest). They make all these movies here, why not a tv show?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

eddysnake wrote:

yes, everyone knows Pittsburgh is the greatest city on earth (just not the happiest). They make all these movies here, why not a tv show?
Hah, really. I'm just getting sick of the NYC setting character. You'd think after Seinfield, 30 Rock, Girls and Sex and the City (off the top of my head), we'd be over that theme.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Troy Loney wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

Hah, really. I'm just getting sick of the NYC setting character. You'd think after Seinfield, 30 Rock, Girls and Sex and the City (off the top of my head), we'd be over that theme.
We have Daredevil starting up in a few weeks too