Nailers Considering Partial Relocation to Johnstown?

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
whgnailer10
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Nailers Considering Partial Relocation to Johnstown?

Post by whgnailer10 »

Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Nailers Considering Partial Relocation to Johnstown?

Post by Jim »

That is unfortunate. I enjoyed going down about twice a year. However, much like I said for the Pens when they were going to move a couple years ago... if an area can't, or won't, support a team... then it shouldn't be there.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

more...
WHEELING - The Wheeling Nailers organization, and co-Presidents Rob and Jim Brooks in particular, have gone to great lengths to make us believe ECHL hockey will be in town for a 19th consecutive season. But what's attempting to be brokered in some dark room in a corner of an empty arena in Johnstown paints a starkly contrasting picture.

According to two sources with knowledge of the inner workings of the situation who wish to remain anonymous, the Brooks brothers are currently negotiating to play at least a portion of their 2010-2011 ''home'' games at famed Cambria County War Memorial, which at the end of this season will cease being the home to the Chiefs, who are being relocated to Greenville, S.C.

If this story sounds familiar, it's because it's happened before. It was only two years ago that, according to whom you believe, the brothers had everything but a signed contract to move the Wheeling franchise to Youngstown. That fell through reportedly because the deal was leaked before it was able to be made official, according to the head of that Youngstown group, Bruce Zoldan.

For the first 4-5 years after the Brooks brothers purchased the Nailers they were clearly visible in both the community and at games.

But more recently that hasn't been the case, and whether they realize it or not, that, along with the supposed jump to Youngstown, has greatly affected their credibility in this town.

It certainly has with WesBanco Arena Executive Director Denny Magruder.

''Just stand up, be honest and let's sit down and talk about it,'' Magruder said Sunday. ''They just need to be forthright and stop sneaking behind our backs.

''If that's really the case, that has not been uttered to me, (though) I also heard that rumor a couple days ago.''
rest of the article is here: http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/co ... ml?nav=523" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

yes yes...triple yes :cross fingers:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I'd hate to see Wheeling lose their team for a partial season, but if it means a team back in Johnstown, then I'm not gonna complain.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

JS© wrote:I'd hate to see Wheeling lose their team for a partial season, but if it means a team back in Johnstown, then I'm not gonna complain.
Even though I don't live in either city, and this doesn't directly impact me, I think the idea has merit.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

So you have to cities that can't support a team sharing one team?
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by heshootsandscores »

Kicksave wrote:So you have to cities that can't support a team sharing one team?

They handed out paper's with an 11 game plan, 10 seasonal games and one pre season. I would definitely be a season ticket holder for a Pen's farm team! That would be great!

The arena was rocking like the old days last night. We were chanting "one more goal" and danged if they didn't score with 10 seconds remaining...what an ending...
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

The Brooks brothers are also negotiating to bring an existing AHL team to a city very close to me, with part of that deal contingent on a group that i may or may not work for :P . Truth be told, they are much more interested in the local area than almost any other ownership group in sports.
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

11 Game Season Tickets are for sale to Weekend Nailers games...my season ticket application is received...
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

preseason game tonight vs the Toledo Walleye @ Johnstown.

Very surprised how little publicity has been put out about this game. Had I not picked up the paper today, I would have never known. There's no billboards, no TV ads, no storefront signage, nothing. I know the odds seem very slim for this to happen, but the town should use this as their audition for another ECHL team. If they see zero fans are showing up for the games, not only would the ECHL bypass Johnstown but other leagues could (and probably would) do the same. I don't care if long-time fans view this as the "rival" playing in our city, owners will view empty seats as lack of interest in the team. The Chiefs are no longer an ECHL team. The rivalry between the two is over.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Is intelligencer a word?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

DocEmrick wrote:Is intelligencer a word?
The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

1500 Main St. , Wheeling, WV 26003 | 304-233-0100

Only in West Virginia ;)
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

\Tonight a Nailers game in Johnstown...
Tomorrow a Pen's game in Pittsburgh...
Next year a complete Nailers/Chief's season in Johnstown

Priceless...

Off to the game!!!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If they take the Chiefs name I'd love to see these: