Speed?

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Speed?

Post by IMFC »

One thing I'd love to see on the big club is more speed.

Who's our best bet in development with speed and some skill or at least good instincts and how far are they from getting a shot?

Thanks!
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Speed?

Post by K2 »

Maybe WWGRD can back me up on this because he's seen a lot more WBS games than me, but no one really stands out on the Baby Pens in terms of speed. If I had to pick one guy it would probably be Joe Vitale, but I'm not sure if he's got speed or it's just that his motor is always running. I still stand by my belief that he will be the 4th line center for the NHL Pens sometime in the future.

Our best bet organizationally speedwise is probably Beau Bennett, which is good because he's pegged as a future top-6 guy. He's at least 2 seasons at Denver away from turning pro, and probably double that away from being a regular contributor.

I don't think the big club is necessarily lacking speed; Kennedy and Dupuis in particular fill that niche. We're just lacking the combination of speed and finishing ability :thumb:
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

It depends on what kind of speed you're looking for. Connor James and Jonathan Filewich were the fastest guys, but they didn't do anything for the big club. I think as far as quickness that is more useful, I'd have to go with Wallace. He seems to put himself into the right position constantly from solid skating.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by WWGRD »

K2 wrote:Maybe WWGRD can back me up on this because he's seen a lot more WBS games than me, but no one really stands out on the Baby Pens in terms of speed. If I had to pick one guy it would probably be Joe Vitale, but I'm not sure if he's got speed or it's just that his motor is always running. I still stand by my belief that he will be the 4th line center for the NHL Pens sometime in the future.

Our best bet organizationally speedwise is probably Beau Bennett, which is good because he's pegged as a future top-6 guy. He's at least 2 seasons at Denver away from turning pro, and probably double that away from being a regular contributor.

I don't think the big club is necessarily lacking speed; Kennedy and Dupuis in particular fill that niche. We're just lacking the combination of speed and finishing ability :thumb:
:thumb:
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IMFC »

K2 wrote:I don't think the big club is necessarily lacking speed; Kennedy and Dupuis in particular fill that niche. We're just lacking the combination of speed and finishing ability :thumb:
Exactly why I like Kennedy when he's healthy, but that's what worries me - he's the fastest guy on the team. Finishing is key, of course, but it just seems like some teams make us look really slow.

Thanks for the answers.