WBS 4, Hershey 1

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

WBS 4, Hershey 1

Post by K2 »

I got to catch the Baby Pens in Hershey tonight, and thought I'd share a few thoughts for those that like to follow the team but don't get to see them live.

-WBS dominated this game. Hershey's normally a vaunted team, and yeah they have some key injuries, but given that WBS is missing some key guys, they dictated the pace of the game well and frustrated Hershey almost all night.

-If he can stay healthy, Keven Veilleux will play on the top three lines in the NHL one day. His strength and ability to protect the puck down low are incredible, and he has a combo of power and finesse that is fun to watch. He's still a bit clumsy sometimes, but he was very impressive.

-Thiessen looked sharp. He could be the key to a playoff run for WBS.

-Vitale, much to my disappointment, was invisible. The fire he showed in his NHL stint was lacking.

-Ryan Craig was all over the ice, making plays.

-The defense was very good. Potter and Wagner get a lot of crap from WBS fans, but they did fine. I was very impressed by Carl Sneep, who played with a lot of poise for a rookie. I am not sure if he returned after getting brutally boarded. Bortuzzo was blocking shots like a madman and appeared to be quite banged up at several points.

-I would not be surprised to see any of Geoff Walker, Bryan Lerg, Zach Sill and Ben Street get invited to NHL camp next year. They are doing very well for unheralded guys. I think Sill's got some potential.

Other stuff:

-Sheldon Souray is a bum. No surprise no one wanted him on re-entry waivers. He moves like a sloth and commits obstruction like crazy. The only thing he has going for him is his slapshot.

-Hershey fans are some of the most classless individuals I've ever heard. They were cheering as Sneep lay on the ice from a vicious boarding call, and were yelling "Get up Crosby," among other unmentionables. Almost makes me ashamed to say I enjoyed going to games at the old Hersheypark Arena growing up. Needless to say, it was nice to see them head for the exits quietly after Mormina scored the 3rd goal.

-I get a kick out of reading how WBS fans are angry that Shero and Co. didn't load them up enough at the deadline. They must fail to see that they have a very effective team. There's a lot of no-name guys doing yeoman's work for them, and they're pressing on without some big names. Sounds like another team I know...

-Mathieu Perrault is a little sphincter

GO BABY PENS
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: WBS 4, Hershey 1

Post by columbia »

Veilleux is clumsy because of his skating or needs to grow into his frame some?
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by K2 »

columbia wrote:Veilleux is clumsy because of his skating or needs to grow into his frame some?
His skating. He's built like an NHL'er, no question.

I'm actually glad you asked, because I forgot to mention a caveat. The ice looked terrible tonight at Giant Center. Apparently they have been having state HS basketball championships there. Everybody seemed to be falling and stumbling, but Veilleux in particular, and I've noticed it in other games. He seems plenty quick for a big man, but a bit of an awkward skater.
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShipHockey7 »

I was also at the game.

Sneep was back on the ice his next shift after getting boarded.

Also, the line of Craig, Veilluex and Walker..their forecheck behind the Hershey net was relentless, they were wearing the Bears defense down non stop. The third goal was a direct result of that forecheck, it was awesome to watch.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Doesn't surprise me too much about Vitale... it seems a lot of call-ups suffer somewhat from an NHL hangover. If I recall correctly, after being sent back down for the first time Tangradi was a non-factor for a little while before settling into a groove again.

Really hope KV can stay healthy next year -- it's a big year for him.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by K2 »

ShipHockey7 wrote:Sneep was back on the ice his next shift after getting boarded.
I guess if I didn't notice him, it was a good thing, given that he's a rookie defenseman :wink: He blocked a few shots and was taking away lanes before that hit, however.

Speaking of rookie defensemen, I hate to compliment Hershey or Washington, but Dmitry Orlov was impressive last night. He's going to be an NHL'er soon enough.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

playing very well
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

shafnutz05 wrote:playing very well