0-4 start: departed vs. new forwards

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

0-4 start: departed vs. new forwards

Post by Penspal »

Interesting and disapointing to see the start that WBS is off to. Everyone has an opinion, here's mine. I'll start it off by stating a few assumptions (hopefully I'm right, or its going to be a looooong season)

- Let's assume that the WBS Pen's goaltending is actually going to be okay. (currently both keepers have 25 AHL goalies ahead of them statistically :shock: )
- And while we are assuming, let's say the "NHL ready Defense" is going to be okay as well.

That puts the forwards in the spotlight. I was somewhat surprised and saddened to see some of last year's WBS forwards go, but that's life in the AHL.

A quick look at some former WBS forwards show their departures are missed. I think some departures were GM's decisions, making the GM's share some of the blame for the current 0-4 record.

1. Last year's leading WBS goal scorer Bryan Lerg has 4 pts (including 3 goals) -ouch
2. B. DeFazio & Ryan Craig both have 3 pts (2 goals, 1 assist) - double ouch as they boy have as many goals as WBS point leaders
3. Ben Street & Geoff Walker 3 pts (1 goal, 2 assists) - (shame on them for breaking up the Street-Walker line, shame I tell YOU!)

So that is 5 of last year's forwards outscoring all current WBS forwards. Its very early, but if things stay this way after the next 4 games, it may just be a hole too deep to climb out of.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 0-4 start: departed vs. new forwards

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I mean, as I noted in that one game (just one though), our forwards don't have much skill. So, when you let go of some AHL level talents and some catalysts and you only replace it with mid-level prospects, you're going to have problems. They're just a bunch of workers mostly, it doesn't appear they have a go-to guy quite yet that can spark a big play, so that'll hurt them. Goaltending and defense will improve as the year goes on - goalie stats after 4 games or whatever is just not a realistic take on things...

But you make some good points certainly, that the guys we had down there were a big part of the success and the generation of offense. The guys that could get a spark going on are either young or non-existent. Beau Bennett is still figuring it out, Keven Veilleux is out for the year or whatever is wrong with him again, I'm guessing Megna is just scratched...so it's a work in progress...guys like Dupuis and Ferriero aren't overly skilled, but they're gonna be contributors. It just needs a little time to come together I think...they won't be particularly good, but once figure out their offensive gameplan a little better, they'll be passable...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Veilleux is hurt again?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

columbia wrote:Veilleux is hurt again?
I think so, I don't know the extent though.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Quick Google says it's the same knee injury he's been working his way back from since training camp last year.

http://golackawanna.com/stories/Veilleu ... pe=stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Batman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Batman »

For those watching, how does Dumoulin look so far?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

The boys down on the farm are now making some hay. 6 goals each for Tangradi and Thompson.... TnT, their dynomite!
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SteelCityFan »

The boys are back on the winning track. Shootout win over Portland. Trevor Smith with 2 goals, Holzapfel with a goal for the second straight game. Benn Ferriero and The Big Dog with shootout goals to seal the deal.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Judging strictly from the number it seems that Bennett is settling in nicely. Tangradi meanwhile better pick it up.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Hattrick. Boom.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

He's been really streaky, from what we've seen so far... 5 goals in 5 games or whatever, then nothing, and now a hat trick.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

AHL goal leaders have 10 goals, Eric Tangradi has 9. BigdogE also leads the team in the minus catagory though... guess he's spending all his time in front of opponents net. Not the worst place to be. Considering how few points WBS players have, BigDogE might just keep the Cy Young stats 9-1
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

With another win tonight, WBS finishes with a pretty sick November record. Sounds like Bennett and Dumo are settling in nicely, as well as Zatkoff doing some serious work.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins ... se-3-1130/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video of Bennett going upstairs against Syracuse and coming back with some sauce a little later...getting better by the game. Holzapfel looking good too, could compete for a roster spot if he's still under contract when the NHL kicks off again...
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

That goal by Bennett was nice...a real sniper's goal to roof it shortside like that. I saw he's also leading the team in points after starting a little slowly. It would be fantastic to have a homegrown top-6 winger.

What's the deal with Zatkoff? Is he a legit prospect for at least a back-up job in the NHL or is he another Chiodo, Sabourin, Thiessen type (i.e. a career-AHLer who gets hot for a bit and makes us think the Pens have a legit goalie prospect in the pipeline before falling off the map)?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

I think he's got back-up potential, for sure. His and Vokoun's contracts run out at the same time too. He's been solid in the A for while, there just wasn't as much room on the Kings' depth chart than there is on the Pens' (if we even have one).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I believe Zatkoff could be an NHL backup this season and not look out of place. Whether he has starting ability, I'm not sure. The thing about goalies today - and if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - it's not so much the skill level of the goaltender but the consistency in which he can bring the best of his skill level to the forefront. Goaltending talent, on the whole, has evened out dramatically since the popularization of the butterfly in the mid-90's.

An NHL backup? Wouldn't surprise me.
A career AHLer? Wouldn't surprise me.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by sil »

The thing about Bennett that most impresses me so far is not his skill level, vision, or position...all of which have been as good as advertised (skill) or developed to the point where they should be for his level (vision, position)...it's his leg strength and ability to maintain the puck. He was drafted at somehting like 160 lbs, but now is a very solid 200+, and it shows how much of that's in his legs with how hard he is to move around in the corners and in the defensive zone. Put that kind of top-level skill together with a sturdy frame...some real nice potential right now for Beau.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Bennett looks really promising.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

After a slow start he's got 21 in 23, good for 2nd among all rookies in the league, T-16th overall, and still 1st overall in WBS. Certainly exceeding expectations as far as point production goes, IMO.

Also, they could definitely use Zatkoff back as soon as possible.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I hate the AHL website.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

The wheels. The're falling off. The Pens blew a 3-0 lead last night and lost 4-3 to Binghamton. 6th straight loss.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

Gaucho wrote:The wheels. The're falling off. The Pens blew a 3-0 lead last night and lost 4-3 to Binghamton. 6th straight loss.
Time to put the "snow tires" on.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Oh no, we they suck again!
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »