Mizzou Situation

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Mizzou Situation

Post by lemieuxReturns »

With respect; should the term 'situation' cause any to feel transgressed, what do you think of this entire thing?
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Mizzou Situation

Post by dagny »

Y'know, I've been watching for some type of information actually telling me the reason it's going on. I mean, when the football team went on strike I thought, wow something serious must have happened there. Yet, I haven't heard anything other than 2 incidents of racial slurs being written on campus and the student body being mad because the President didn't do anything about it? Do I have that right?

So, the pres. resigns and the student group presents their list of demands. Demands?! . . . and I'm still trying to understand what actually happened there to legitimize how it's being handled. :lol:

Then there's Yale. . . :face:

This article has an interesting take on it. (Not for the easily offended. :wink: )
https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/09/yale ... ch-college" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

You have it right. I am at exactly the same point as you. Some students seem to be angry over some slights that have occurred this year from other students (unnamed) and because of this and the inaction of the school president a group of students are 'demanding' among other things that the president 'admit to white priviledge'. The president resigned today.

Regarding the Yale situation, here is another good article.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... le/414810/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

A harsh world awaits the little snowflakes at Yale.

At Mizzou, I was kinda hoping the weak-kneed Wolfe would hang on until the weekend. Game-day Saturday would have been popcorn material. Undoubtedly the game would have been cancelled prior that.

Via The Federalist: "A helpful timeline of the case indicates that it started with two cases in which black students at Mizzou said they had racial epithets shouted at them, and one in which a swastika was scrawled on the wall of a bathroom in a university building. In all three of these cases, nobody knows who did it or why. But they were taken as proof of “systemic racism” at the university, and protesters howled for Wolfe’s resignation. Throughout the case, Wolfe issued condemnations of racism, acknowledgements of the justice of the protester’s cause, and apologies for not seeming to take them seriously enough ...."

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/09/miz ... he-ground/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Fascinating radio interview with the Mizzou football coach. He does not handle the questions well ... to put it mildly.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/12/radio ... sts-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

These **** babies actually complained the Paris attack drew attention away from them.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

DelPen wrote:These **** babies actually complained the Paris attack drew attention away from them.
I saw that. I hope they lose any sympathy they actually had for them. It's disgusting. Comparing their situation to the 127 dead is disgusting.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Freshman orientation should now include distribution of pacifiers and earplugs.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

This country spent years in fighting for desegregation. Now we are creating "safe spaces". Next will be separate bathrooms, eating establishments and public transportation seating.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

In loco parentis. I bet they don't even know what that is.

From the article I posted above:
Half a century ago, student activists liberated themselves—partly, at least—from in loco parentis: the paternalistic notion that college administrators should serve as watchful guardians, restricting students’ activities and rights in order to provide a safe environment for them, the way a mother or father would. Today, students across the country are determined to undo this liberation.