The Election

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

The Election

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Well, I wasn't sure if this would be a good idea.... but, WTH.

Voting for the lesser of two evils tomorrow. Mr. Trump.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Election

Post by Jim »

Voting for Clinton is like jumping into a vat of raw sewage.
Voting for Trump is like jumping into a vat of Hydrofluoric acid with rocks in you pockets.

Even if you hate everything that Clinton stands for and think that she is a criminal and yadda yadda yadda... there is one good thing about her becoming president: Trump wouldn't.

There is nothing that I like about Clinton. But there is no way in hell that anyone that considers themselves intelligent should vote for Trump.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Trump? How did we get this guy? I hear people ask that question all the time. Allow me to shed some light on this.
> Back in 2008, the R's nominated John McCain, war hero, POW, media favorite. Media favorite until he ran for president. He was then vilified as an out of touch Senator. His opponent, Barack Obama, also a Senator, had accomplished nothing in his career. The media loved him. And that was that - he was elected.
> In 2012, the R's nominate Mitt Romney. If there was ever a more squeaky clean candidate than Romney in the last 50 years, I have yet to see him or her. The guy doesn't even drink coffee because it's caffeinated.
> So how did the left, the democrats and the media treat Romney? He was destroyed.
> Harry Reid claimed Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years. It was a lie (later admitted by Reid). The media ran with it.
> Romney had binders of potential women for cabinet and other other high level positions. The media mocked him. This was after Stephanopoulos claimed the R's had declared a "War on Women". Really? Declare war on 50% of the US electorate? The media ran with that meme also.
>Romney put a dog in a dog crate on top of his car. The media said he hated animals.
> Ann Romney used dressage (the highest expression of horse training) as therapy for her MS. She was mocked as a rich, out of touch person. Dressage, ha they said, the sport of rich people.
> The Left said Romney killed an employee's spouse who had cancer because of changes to her health coverage. The media ran with it.
> Biden told a black audience that Romney: "would put y'all back in chains".
> So how did Romney respond to these attacks? He smiled and gamely pressed on. And he got smoked in the election.
> Along comes a guy (Trump) who is finally willing to fight back and take no prisoners. And he is embraced by 40+% of the electorate. Is he foul mouthed, brash and arrogant? Yep, all of those and then some. But the common folks look past that because they want and demand a change in the course of this country.
> They are tired of the GOP elites picking their losing candidates for them.
> They are tired of Obama refusing to enforce immigration laws.
> They are tired of the rich politicians getting away with breaking laws.
> They are tired of seeing the IRS and DOJ becoming weaponized against the Left's political enemies.
> They are tired of being lied to.
> They are tired.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Humperdink wrote:Trump? How did we get this guy? I hear people ask that question all the time. Allow me to shed some light on this.
> Back in 2008, the R's nominated John McCain, war hero, POW, media favorite. Media favorite until he ran for president. He was then vilified as an out of touch Senator. His opponent, Barack Obama, also a Senator, had accomplished nothing in his career. The media loved him. And that was that - he was elected.
> In 2012, the R's nominate Mitt Romney. If there was ever a more squeaky clean candidate than Romney in the last 50 years, I have yet to see him or her. The guy doesn't even drink coffee because it's caffeinated.
> So how did the left, the democrats and the media treat Romney? He was destroyed.
> Harry Reid claimed Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years. It was a lie (later admitted by Reid). The media ran with it.
> Romney had binders of potential women for cabinet and other other high level positions. The media mocked him. This was after Stephanopoulos claimed the R's had declared a "War on Women". Really? Declare war on 50% of the US electorate? The media ran with that meme also.
>Romney put a dog in a dog crate on top of his car. The media said he hated animals.
> Ann Romney used dressage (the highest expression of horse training) as therapy for her MS. She was mocked as a rich, out of touch person. Dressage, ha they said, the sport of rich people.
> The Left said Romney killed an employee's spouse who had cancer because of changes to her health coverage. The media ran with it.
> Biden told a black audience that Romney: "would put y'all back in chains".
> So how did Romney respond to these attacks? He smiled and gamely pressed on. And he got smoked in the election.
> Along comes a guy (Trump) who is finally willing to fight back and take no prisoners. And he is embraced by 40+% of the electorate. Is he foul mouthed, brash and arrogant? Yep, all of those and then some. But the common folks look past that because they want and demand a change in the course of this country.
> They are tired of the GOP elites picking their losing candidates for them.
> They are tired of Obama refusing to enforce immigration laws.
> They are tired of the rich politicians getting away with breaking laws.
> They are tired of seeing the IRS and DOJ becoming weaponized against the Left's political enemies.
> They are tired of being lied to.
> They are tired.
So they are committing suicide? Gun in their own mouth, BOOM! (ie: electing Trump)
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Jim wrote:Voting for Clinton is like jumping into a vat of raw sewage.
Voting for Trump is like jumping into a vat of Hydrofluoric acid with rocks in you pockets.

Even if you hate everything that Clinton stands for and think that she is a criminal and yadda yadda yadda... there is one good thing about her becoming president: Trump wouldn't.

There is nothing that I like about Clinton. But there is no way in hell that anyone that considers themselves intelligent should vote for Trump.
Oh yes... the tried and true argument of intelligence. Reminds me of something I read recently:
[Let's talk about] Donald Trump. What does he represent in the American mind and in the European mind?  He represents American white trash, [which Hillary Clinton called] 'deplorable and irredeemable'.  It means from an establishment or educated cosmopolitan, urbane perspective, these people are like the red necks, and you can never deal with them.  Because he so clearly -- through his words and actions and the type of people that turn up at his rallies -- represents people who are not the middle, not the upper middle educated class, there is a fear of seeming to be associated in any way with them, a social fear that lowers the class status of anyone who can be accused of somehow assisting Trump in any way, including any criticism of Hillary Clinton. If you look at how the middle class gains its economic and social power, that makes absolute sense.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

@Jim. Most of the country feels the US is on the wrong track. Trump has had zero to do with the current condition of the country. The D candidate has been in "public" service (now worth $200 mil) for 30+ years and you want more of the same?

I am willing to take a chance on someone outside beltway mentality. I know, and you probably know, what we will get with D candidate. If that is your preference, God bless you.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Humperdink wrote:@Jim. Most of the country feels the US is on the wrong track. Trump has had zero to do with the current condition of the country. The D candidate has been in "public" service (now worth $200 mil) for 30+ years and you want more of the same?

I am willing to take a chance on someone outside beltway mentality. I know, and you probably know, what we will get with D candidate. If that is your preference, God bless you.
The US has been on the wrong track for a long time. Heck, look at the two yabos that are running for President.

Clinton is not the answer. ... except when compared to Trump.

Voting for Trump is like cutting off your head because you have a headache.

Best case if he wins... he is impeached by February.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Impeachment is for someone who breaks the law. There seems to be only one candidate that is guilty of that.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Trump is an awful person who borrowed over $100 million dollars from his father and his father's companies to build his "empire". He does not have as much money as he claims and only has his "brand". The reason he has traction is our country is in this crazy reality TV mentality and he fits right into it. This idea that he says things people can't say anymore because someone may get offended, it is true that those things are offensive. If you are a white man, and want this country to be white male dominant again, vote for Trump. That is what a vote for him is.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

@Jim. I've read your other posts, you are an intelligent guy. In your opinion, what would Trump do that would negatively impact the country, short term and long term?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

@Zaro

So a vote for Trump is a vote for white power? Is that what you are saying? But a vote for Clinto is not a vote for white power?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

The richest in South America was Venezuela. Today, they are flat broke. Can't even afford to import toilet tissue. Amazingly, they still have the highest crude oil reserves in the world. Their highest denominated currency was the 100 Bolivar, worth about 8 cents. They recently created a new "highest" denominated currency - the 20,000 Bolivar, worth $15 bucks. What happened? In the heretofore wealthy country, the government decided it would run everything, control everything (read: price controls), offer free everything. They have free health care, but band aids are scarce.

The richest country in North America is the United States. It is $20 trillion in debt. We have a candidate offering free college. We will have national healthcare as Obamacare will crumble under it's own weight, which was the plan all along. That will add to the debt in large measure.

Hmm, I wonder happens to federal budget when Janet Yellen raises interest rates to a modest number, say 5% from it's current near zero? Add in the state employee pension disasters across the country and we have a looming crisis.

My preference is for a candidate that will not enlarge the size, scope and reach of the state(s) and federal government. That "might" not be Trump, but it's definitely not HRC.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

:pop:
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShaPe »

I have a question for you in the states. Why is the voting % so low? I can honestly not understand it. Is it because its on a normal working day or you have to register?
Here we just go to the polling station show our ID and vote. No registration is required before hand.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

lemieuxReturns wrote:@Zaro

So a vote for Trump is a vote for white power? Is that what you are saying? But a vote for Clinto is not a vote for white power?
About as close as it gets. White men are the demographic that are losing the most so of course they want to make America great again. Maybe America could be greater than ever if we gave everyone equal footing. As a white man, I know I have advantages others do not. I am willing to admit it and that isn't fair. The slogan Trump uses implies I am wrong.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Humperdink wrote:The richest in South America was Venezuela. Today, they are flat broke. Can't even afford to import toilet tissue. Amazingly, they still have the highest crude oil reserves in the world. Their highest denominated currency was the 100 Bolivar, worth about 8 cents. They recently created a new "highest" denominated currency - the 20,000 Bolivar, worth $15 bucks. What happened? In the heretofore wealthy country, the government decided it would run everything, control everything (read: price controls), offer free everything. They have free health care, but band aids are scarce.

The richest country in North America is the United States. It is $20 trillion in debt. We have a candidate offering free college. We will have national healthcare as Obamacare will crumble under it's own weight, which was the plan all along. That will add to the debt in large measure.

Hmm, I wonder happens to federal budget when Janet Yellen raises interest rates to a modest number, say 5% from it's current near zero? Add in the state employee pension disasters across the country and we have a looming crisis.

My preference is for a candidate that will not enlarge the size, scope and reach of the state(s) and federal government. That "might" not be Trump, but it's definitely not HRC.
Quit giving money to foreign governments and fighting wars we shouldn't be in. That will save some money.....
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

ShaPe wrote:I have a question for you in the states. Why is the voting % so low? I can honestly not understand it. Is it because its on a normal working day or you have to register?
Here we just go to the polling station show our ID and vote. No registration is required before hand.
Registration is required so the two party system can control who runs for office. If you don't register as a democrat or republican, most times your votes only count in the general election because those two parties control the primaries which picks the candidates who run in the general election.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I am hoping Trump wins if for no other reason than to see these celebs leave the country.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

The epic meltdown of the left will be the real show. CNN 'journalists' will openly cry on live tv. Comey will reverse his reversed decision with the new knowledge that Clinton will not bail him out. California will file secession papers. Entire NFL teams will begin kneeling to empty stadiums.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Humperdink wrote:@Jim. I've read your other posts, you are an intelligent guy. In your opinion, what would Trump do that would negatively impact the country, short term and long term?
Intelligent is a stretch.

Heavily simplified versions of arguments for demonstration purposes only:
He is not going to be able to do any of the things that he says without completely contradicting something else that he says. How is he going to bring back industry when the industry is gone, not just closed, but gone? All of the infrastructure will need to be rebuilt and unless you intend to pay $100 for a pair of underwear where is the funding for that going to come from? The Govt? But he said he is going to lower taxes so that ain't it. He blasts Clinton for sending troops to war yet he preaches war mongering. How is he going to impose his will on other countries with sending troops places? Sitting cross armed with persed lips ain't going to do it. He is used to simply not paying contractors and then sicking lawyers on them to shut them up. Is he just going to tell China that we aren't going to pay them their deficit and then try to bog them in litigation until they run out of money to fight it? And saying "believe me" does not make a statement true.

I don't even like Clinton. Notice that I do not actually defend her at all. Frankly, I would probably rather vote for YOU to be president over the two of them. Trump is just... no!
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

did I hear correctly this morning that Pennsylvania does NOT have early voting?
if that's true why not? I voted over 2 weeks ago here in GA. it took a grand total of >10 minutes and most of that time was walking the long hall to the voting machines and waiting for poll workers to mark me off.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

shoeshine boy wrote:did I hear correctly this morning that Pennsylvania does NOT have early voting?
if that's true why not? I voted over 2 weeks ago here in GA. it took a grand total of >10 minutes and most of that time was walking the long hall to the voting machines and waiting for poll workers to mark me off.
Pennsylvanians prefer to have their electronic voting machines hacked all on the same day. :D ( I kid .... for now)
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Can this day go any slower?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Voted mid-morning to avoid the zoo. It was more crowded than I have ever seen it.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I am reading things online that say the election isn't even close but the CNNs and Foxs make it sound close for ratings.