NHL.tv Vs Center Ice

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

NHL.tv Vs Center Ice

Post by Mad City Mike »

WE have had Center Ice for probably 15 years via DirecTV. But I am interested in hearing the experiences of anyone who had Center Ice and tried NHL.TV. How do they compare?

1. How do you access NHL.tv
2. Are the same games available on both?
3. How is the video quality?
4. How easy is it to use?
5. What features do you get on NHL.tv that aren't available on Center Ice?

Thanks everyone.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: NHL.tv Vs Center Ice

Post by Sigwolf »

I had Center Ice via cable for about 10 years, then went to Gamecenter (predecessor to NHL.TV) for about 3. For last season and this season, I've gone with neither. I came to that decision because I don't really like the product that the NHL has put on the ice (officiating and player safety, primarily), so couldn't see continuing to support it financially. I also got real tired of about a third of the Pens games being blacked out because of their ridiculous and archaic TV contracts. Between all the national coverage, more that half their games shown in replay the next day on the NHL Network, and going to a sports bar for many weekend games, I still get to see most of the season. I can't watch most games live anyway due to work schedule, so I've been OK with this setup, but I do miss having complete access sometimes.

As for when I did have it...

1. Roku at home, laptop when traveling, and sometimes phone when out and about.
2. Yes, with the same national blackouts
3. Fantastic (full HD) most of the time, with occasional technical issues, but not often
4. Extremely easy. Just enter your username and password on whatever device you are using
5. Features were the best part. Full or condensed replays of every game of the season for every team (available next day for national broadcasts, almost immediately for those not). Multiple game split screen, with audio that can easily be switched between them(not sure if DirecTV offers that, cable does not). Your choice of home/away broadcast (I think DirecTV has that, cable was hit or miss due to limited available channels)

Overall, I was much happier with the online offering than Center Ice, and the way I would go if I signed up again. Having full access on the road or on my phone wherever I happen to be was really cool.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I have used a Roku and Apple TV, picture is HD and looks fine. Rarely have stuttering issues but I have gigabit Fiber internet which helps.

Two things that really irritate me. First is blacking our national games. I get blacking our games on NBC or NBCSN since they pay a lot of money for national broadcast rights. But when NGL network picks up a game like today it’s blacked out unless you know how to work around that or you find a stream and watch that way.

The other issue is a noticeable delay, sometimes up to 2 minutes but usually at least one minute. If you follow social media or message boards during games you can get spoiled on goals. But all internet streaming has this delay.

If you have direct and subscribe to Center ice you can actually get a free subscription to NHL tv, you can logon with your rocider and try it out if you want to see.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Log on with my what?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Mad City Mike wrote:Log on with my what?
Your DirecTV username and password. You should see a login with TV provider someplace on the logon page.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

DelPen wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:Log on with my what?
Your DirecTV username and password. You should see a login with TV provider someplace on the logon page.
Thanks for your help. I am up and running thanks to excellent help from nhl.com.