Former Penguin fight story

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Former Penguin fight story

Post by FLPensFan »

Came across this group of tweets from Aaron Portzline, who covers the Blue Jackets, reflecting on a past memory of CBJ games (involving a former Penguin).

Blue Jackets versus Atlanta Thrashers some years ago.
Columbus is losing after the 1st period.
At the start of the 2nd, from the bench, Kevin Dineen of CBJ ask ATL d-man Chris Tamer if he wants to fight.
The clearly bigger Tamer is a bit puzzled, wondering why the smaller, old vet wants to fight, but agrees.
Dineen then says "And if you're a real man, we will fight left handed." Tamer says whatever and agrees.
First time Tamer is on the ice, CBJ coach sends Dineen over the boards and they go at it.
After about 6-8 lefts from Dineen, Tamer is dropped to his knees and the linesman step in.
Dineen gets to the box first but doesn't go in, and stands in the doorway waiting for Tamer to come over, as he has a message for him.
As Tamer skates over, Dineen shouts "By the way....I'm left handed."

I thought it was funny, and sounds like something Tamer would be goaded into.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Former Penguin fight story

Post by Humperdink »

Former Penguin Georges Laraque was a southpaw. One of the many reasons why the opposing players feared him.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Speaking of fighting, here's a TSN piece on former tough guy Matt Johnson. Tragic. Hope he can seek out and get help before it's too late.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

ville5 wrote:Speaking of fighting, here's a TSN piece on former tough guy Matt Johnson. Tragic. Hope he can seek out and get help before it's too late.
Wow. I read the article. What a sad, sad story. I felt terrible reading what his family is going through.

http://longform.tsn.ca/searching-for-matt-johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Humperdink wrote:
ville5 wrote:Speaking of fighting, here's a TSN piece on former tough guy Matt Johnson. Tragic. Hope he can seek out and get help before it's too late.
Wow. I read the article. What a sad, sad story. I felt terrible reading what his family is going through.

http://longform.tsn.ca/searching-for-matt-johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's pretty awful for all.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Humperdink wrote:

Thanks Hump for the link. :lol:
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

brwi wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

That's pretty awful for all.
Makes the department of player safety's half-assed approach to discipline all the more difficult to understand. I know this case is different but a concussion is a concussion.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

You’ve all read the Steve Montador story in Ken Dryden’s book Game Changer? Pretty similar tale. Highly recommend.