Inside Look back: Bruins trading Seguin

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Inside Look back: Bruins trading Seguin

Post by FLPensFan »

This video came across my YouTube feed today, and I found it a bit fascinating. It's Chiarelli in a room with Bruins management first bringing up the idea of trading Tyler Seguin. Basically, the whole premise came about because the Bruins were looking to free up money to resign Nathan Horton. Horton's agent tells Chiarelli Horton is done in Boston, won't resign there. And then they decide to trade Seguin anyways because he "doesn't fit their culture" ie, he's not tough enough.

From Chiarelli, to Neely, to Benning, to the scouts, nobody is lobbying to keep Seguin. This is obviously several years old, but I have never seen it. Just a failure on so many levels, especially Neely talking about 3 years into the league, doesn't matter, he should have improved in area the coaching staff has talked to him. He had already put up a 29 goal, 67 point season, but apparently he didn't hit enough. :shock:

There's an obvious dig at Phil Kessel around the 45 second mark, where a B's scout says "He's not a physical player. He relies all on his skill." and Chiarelli replies "Does that sound familiar?" and the scout says yeah it does.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRyIgatcTAs[/youtube]
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Inside Look back: Bruins trading Seguin

Post by Jim »

Horton obviously didn't suck, but he wasn't a superstar player, and much more importantly he was insanely injury prone. To think about that as your go-to... Yikes.

Seguin has been a point a game in Dallas.

There were also vids of Columbus' management group. I really like that behind the scenes stuff.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Jim wrote:Horton obviously didn't suck, but he wasn't a superstar player, and much more importantly he was insanely injury prone. To think about that as your go-to... Yikes.

Seguin has been a point a game in Dallas.

There were also vids of Columbus' management group. I really like that behind the scenes stuff.
I mean, points wise, regular season, Seguin's 67 points was better than anything Horton did in the regular season. However, Horton was almost a point per game player in the playoffs for Boston.....43 games, 15 goals, 21 assists.

So, apparently Boston way overvalued the fact that Horton was physical, which fit their style more. Then again, Horton tells them he's walking, and they still decide to move Seguin. That was the puzzling part to me.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

If I had a chance to talk to Rutherford i would not ask him about the big deals, Not the Brassard, not the Kessel, Hornqvist. Thsoe are weasy. You target a big name and work through it. I would want to ask about the Marcantuoni trade, and the Plotnikov deal minutes later. Jooris trade. Maybe the two-deal Oleksiak situation.

I mean, how does a Marcantuoni for Melindy, O`Donoghue, and Jeffrey deal even start?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Jim wrote:If I had a chance to talk to Rutherford i would not ask him about the big deals, Not the Brassard, not the Kessel, Hornqvist. Thsoe are weasy. You target a big name and work through it. I would want to ask about the Marcantuoni trade, and the Plotnikov deal minutes later. Jooris trade. Maybe the two-deal Oleksiak situation.

I mean, how does a Marcantuoni for Melindy, O`Donoghue, and Jeffrey deal even start?
GMJR: Hi John. I have some junk I want to get rid of. Do you have any scraps you are looking to move?

None of the players in that deal are in the NHL or owned by an NHL team. Melindy has bounced between ECHL and AHL, but he doesn't have an NHL level contract.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

That's why I wonder why/how those kind of deals get going.

Like does Marcantuoni's wife get pregnant... her family lives in Springfield... Marcantuoni calls up management, "Any way that you could deal me to Phoenix so that we can go to Springfield for free babysitting?" Trade worked out...
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Boston has a long, long history of pushing talented players out the door for reasons that don't make much sense. They find a reason become critical of players for whatever reason, usually because they don't fit their "culture" i.e.: they don't hit or fight enough. It's why they sent Joe Thornton and Tyler Seguin out of town and sign guys like David Backes for huge, bloated deals. Then they get fleeced in the trade, which makes it worse. They devalue skill and overpay for sandpaper. It's a big reason why they have fallen short so many years. They may come close, and they won the Cup in 2011, but they have also lost in the Cup final and the semifinal a lot.

Of course Jeremy Jacobs and his iron wallet don't help. Money and his stinginess to pay good players what they're worth is also a reason guys have left town. Jason Allison, Bill Guerin, Adam Oates are all guys who left over a contract dispute. The Bruins are like Jerry Seinfeld - they date hot women who have a lot going for them but they find some reason to say not good enough. "She eats her peas one a time!"