HHOF thoughts

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

HHOF thoughts

Post by Great58 »

Can anyone explain to me why Cam Neely is in the HHOF? His stats seem light compared to almost any other inductee, 694 points in 726 career games. No Cups, only major award being the Masterton.
Wasn't Kevin Stevens a better, more productive power forward of the same era, at least during his 10 years in Pittsburgh? In total 726 points, 2 Cups....
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: HHOF thoughts

Post by pressure=9Pa »

The Cam Neely workout commercials?
His role as Sea Bass?
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

pressure=9Pa wrote:The Cam Neely workout commercials?
His role as Sea Bass?
Definitely the role of Sea Bass put him over the top.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Hossa just retired....
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Great58 wrote:Can anyone explain to me why Cam Neely is in the HHOF? His stats seem light compared to almost any other inductee, 694 points in 726 career games. No Cups, only major award being the Masterton.
Wasn't Kevin Stevens a better, more productive power forward of the same era, at least during his 10 years in Pittsburgh? In total 726 points, 2 Cups....
66 more goals than Stevens in 148 less games?
14th in career goals per game was probably the biggest factor. I'm still not sure if he belongs. Most of his career was during wide open games.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Skatingpen wrote:Hossa just retired....
He will get traded to a team that needs to make the cap floor.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Neely got in because he was the best power forward in the game for about five years. Only guy close as far as physical play and goal scoring capability was Lindros IMO. Stevens, Tkachuk, Roberts were very good but Neely was better. Had he not been hurt he would have probably out up five straight 50 goal seasons. What he did in 93-94 on one a half knees is incredible. Look at some of the goals he scored that season. Goal scorer goals. His stats don't quite match some other guys but they played longer or played with better players. The fact that he didn't win a Cup is not on him. He always showed up in the playoffs. Personally I think he did enough, same as Lindros.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Neely deserved to be in the HHOF if you seen him play he was a great player shame Ulf shorted his career. well kinda. Got us a cup.

My hatred for Lindros when he played just proves to me more and more that he deserves to be in the HHOF. Hated that guy, but he was one of the best during his era (only Jagr was better).