Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Post by penny lane »

An absolutely tough read... but one every NHL fan needs to read!

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... ngs-not-ok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=23713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Post by Skatingpen »

Super sad and more and more common. In now way to diminish this mans struggle but I honestly feel more and more “common” men and women go through the same things, maybe not as sever but believe me, depression and anxiety in everywhere and in a lot of people, including me. I really think it is in your genes and people that don’t have it can’t understand it and probably never will. How many times people have said to me just don’t worry about it, we’ll when you can’t not worry about it it is not that easy. I imagine brain injuries in people who already have the gene makes it that much worse. JMO.....
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Sad. And this whole thing will continue for years to come. Don’t see the powers in control changing
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Southern Fan wrote:Sad. And this whole thing will continue for years to come. Don’t see the powers in control changing
Changing what? Just curious
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Shots to the head are ejections and suspensions for a start.

Hard to read the whole Boynton thing but I think he mentioned the subtleties of the blind side shots.

I still marvel at former players have had concussions repeatedly were saying the Aston-Reese hit was okay. (Savard)
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Southern Fan wrote:Shots to the head are ejections and suspensions for a start.

Hard to read the whole Boynton thing but I think he mentioned the subtleties of the blind side shots.

I still marvel at former players have had concussions repeatedly were saying the Aston-Reese hit was okay. (Savard)

Agree!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Skatingpen wrote:

Agree!
Disagree, but close. Shots to the head are an automatic penalty (minor at least, major possible), and all headshots are reviewed for intent. Any possibility of intent garners a 2 game suspension. No intent draws a fine, however, repeated (say, 3) "accidental" head shots still draws a suspension. If you are continually getting accidental penalties, that's a pattern that the player needs to fix.

I believe the current international rule is all shots to the head are a penalty, no exceptions.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

FLPensFan wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

Agree!
Disagree, but close. Shots to the head are an automatic penalty (minor at least, major possible), and all headshots are reviewed for intent. Any possibility of intent garners a 2 game suspension. No intent draws a fine, however, repeated (say, 3) "accidental" head shots still draws a suspension. If you are continually getting accidental penalties, that's a pattern that the player needs to fix.

I believe the current international rule is all shots to the head are a penalty, no exceptions.

Maybe I am missing the same game, shots to the head are hardly ever called eccept the day after when no discipline is handed down
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

The NHL needs to follow the NCAA's (football) lead regarding targeting/head shots. Referees immediately review the video and make a determination as the severity of the hit.

More and more articles will emerge depicting former players in a diminished mental capacity. The longer the league waits to take significant action, the worse it will get.