Over/Under on next League "talk" with Wilson

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

When will the league have to "talk" with Wilson about a hit again?

0-5 games
No votes
6-10 games
30%
10-20 games
40%
21 games - end of season
20%
Playoffs
10%
Next season +
No votes
He learned his lesson and if they have to talk to him ever again it will be accidental hit
No votes

Total votes: 10

Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Over/Under on next League "talk" with Wilson

Post by Jim »

Getting a $5.2M contract reinforced his belief that dangerous play is the way to go. Having his suspension cut by 30% will make him think that punishment isn't going to be that bad.

How long will it be until Wilson goes all Wilson again and the league needs to take action again. Includes fine, suspension or a hearing.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Over/Under on next League "talk" with Wilson

Post by no name »

I would say playoffs, he will tone it down until then knowing 1-3 games I all you get that time of year. If Matt Cooke could be changed I would think Wilson can to. The league created this monster for not being harder on him during all those hits he got away with.

Its a wrist slap league and they really don't care about the head contact, but they try to sell that they do.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

One day after retired players “settled” their suit. Might be best for retired players to turn down the money and wait for a bigger payout.

Karma is telling me that it should be the late November game against the Islanders. See what Barry has to say about that.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

6-10 for me. He's a balloon head. If you listen to him after one of his "special" hits, he states he's just playing his game.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

I went 21+ games. It's in his nature to reoffend, although ironically I think he'll get away with any borderline plays. Since his next suspension will have to be severe, they'll be cautious as to what they discipline him on.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Tossed tonight for another head shot
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

NHL needs to fire the arbitrator that reduced the suspension. Clearly his judgment is not sound and he let a predator back on the ice too soon.

This one should be 41 games. Half of a season.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Great58 wrote:I went 21+ games. It's in his nature to reoffend, although ironically I think he'll get away with any borderline plays. Since his next suspension will have to be severe, they'll be cautious as to what they discipline him on.
This hit really tests my theory. I think it was late, high, blindside to a player who wasn’t eligible to be checked. But I think the NHL will find a way to say it wasn’t a clean head hit and not suspend him.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

6-10 games with the win.

Congrats to Tom Wilson for making it out of the first round of this poll.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Great58 wrote:
Great58 wrote:I went 21+ games. It's in his nature to reoffend, although ironically I think he'll get away with any borderline plays. Since his next suspension will have to be severe, they'll be cautious as to what they discipline him on.
This hit really tests my theory. I think it was late, high, blindside to a player who wasn’t eligible to be checked. But I think the NHL will find a way to say it wasn’t a clean head hit and not suspend him.
I would actually agree with them. 100% avoidable and 100% unnecessary, but not a head shot.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Steve wrote:6-10 games with the win.

Tom avoids a talk with the league. Play continues.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Great58 wrote:

Don't sound so disappointed. I've got money down that in 6-8 games, we'll be having this same conversation about Wilson and a needless hit yet again.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

FLPensFan wrote:
Great58 wrote:

Don't sound so disappointed. I've got money down that in 6-8 games, we'll be having this same conversation about Wilson and a needless hit yet again.
We will, or the NHL will? Because to the average fan, last night was a perfect example that Wilson will never learn, that he’s a master of the predatory, late hit, but he’ll have to catch someone square in the head to get a hearing.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Great58 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Great58 wrote:

We will, or the NHL will? Because to the average fan, last night was a perfect example that Wilson will never learn, that he’s a master of the predatory, late hit, but he’ll have to catch someone square in the head to get a hearing.
Absolutely. He just can't help himself - also, he's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen on the ice.

As for the hit, 100% not accidental. Anyone who's played hockey knows what he was doing there. If there wasn't contact with the head, then it probably should have just been an interference penalty. If there was contact, he definitely should have been suspended. (I didn't watch the replay that closely to see the point of contact. I'm assuming/hoping the league did)
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Nine games. Winner.

If it were anybody else but Tom Wilson or Rafi Torres, player safety would go meh.

Pretty classic Tom Wilson two minute interference accidental hit to the head.

Tough call by the league to deal with a guy who will never learn. If they do nothing, I feel sorry for the next guy he lines up.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Southern Fan wrote:Nine games. Winner.

If it were anybody else but Tom Wilson or Rafi Torres, player safety would go meh.

Tough call by the league to deal with a guy who will never learn. If they do nothing, I feel sorry for the next guy he lines up.
A big part of the problem right now is the Capitals organization. They are still adamantly defending Wilson every time, instead of finally drawing the line in the sand and saying this type of stuff has to stop. Instead they are taking the, now he has a reputation and is getting picked on because of it route. Only person who really hasn't spoken publicly in support of Wilson, and actually made comments against Wilson in the arbitration brief, is GM Brian MacLellan. Teammates, coaches, Leonsis, have all still been pretty vocally supporting the guy. Really needs to stop.

I will say objectively that, the hit last night wasn't as bad as most of the others. If he was suspended, I would not have agreed with it being simply a next in line progression of 40 plus games. Yes he has a history, but there has to be some objectivity there as well. It was a late interference hit, principle point of contact was not that head (not saying that makes it ok). Late, dirty, blind, and plenty of time to avoid, but, if I'm grading on a 1, 2, 3 severity scale, with 3 being the worst, this was likely a 1. Most I would have given him would have been 5 games.

NHL and NHLPA really need hammer this out and come up with a good system. NHL is at blame for having a poor system in terms of progression and overall what is and isn't a suspension. NHLPA is at blame for going to greater lengths to protect and defend the accused instead of the victim.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Southern Fan wrote:Nine games. Winner.

While the league is the problem off the ice because of the lack of suspensions, I think the instigator penalty is the on ice cause of his nonsense. Wilson has a pretty good amount of fights, but how many defending himself after his cheap shot? Every time I see a cheap shot, I see Wilson skating away from a fight. Without the instigator, I don't think he'd have a choice but to either fight or get pounded. Frankly, if someone grabbed him and pounded him old school style, he might think twice about a cheap hit.

He's a coward hiding behind the fact that someone will get a penalty for going after him after he does something cheap.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Just like OV no one ever goes after Wilson. Never will understand why they get away with this for years
Saskunitz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Saskunitz »

Skatingpen wrote:Just like OV no one ever goes after Wilson. Never will understand why they get away with this for years
Apparently that changed tonight.

https://youtu.be/1zNcItuc-cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Saskunitz wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:Just like OV no one ever goes after Wilson. Never will understand why they get away with this for years
Apparently that changed tonight.

https://youtu.be/1zNcItuc-cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pure awesomeness. I bet half the league rejoiced.
Can someone post the other video clip? Reaves laid out Wilson then laughed in his face in this game also. :thumb:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Reaves deserves a medal for that. If the NHL won’t take care of Wilson this is what happens and hopefully it happens every game he plays until he’s crippled.

And by DOPS standards that we literally just saw, this is a nothing hit. It’s not even as bad as the hit Wilson laid into that guy last week.

So I fully expect Reaves to get 10 games to send a message that no one shows up the NHL.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

DelPen wrote:Reaves deserves a medal for that. If the NHL won’t take care of Wilson this is what happens and hopefully it happens every game he plays until he’s crippled.

And by DOPS standards that we literally just saw, this is a nothing hit. It’s not even as bad as the hit Wilson laid into that guy last week.

So I fully expect Reaves to get 10 games to send a message that no one shows up the NHL.
This hit is VERY much like Wilson's hit on Seney on Friday. The puck was "long" gone, blindside, 100% avoidable, 100% unnecessary, head not the target. Wilson got off with nothing, not even a phone call. This should be exactly the same.
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by djlm »

ville5 wrote: Pure awesomeness. I bet half the league rejoiced.
Can someone post the other video clip? Reaves laid out Wilson then laughed in his face in this game also. :thumb:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u72Zc10fI10[/youtube]
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

That's the one that I said that I have never seen Wilson pulled away from an altercation with less effort.

Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Jim wrote:That's the one that I said that I have never seen Wilson pulled away from an altercation with less effort.

Funny. I re-watched the video above. Wilson went into full reverse when the linesman gently pulled him away.