Heat is on the old guard hockey guys in the NHL

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Heat is on the old guard hockey guys in the NHL

Post by FLPensFan »

Don Cherry was fired for his non-PC comments.

Bill Peters was fired/resigned for his racial comments, as well as physical abuse of players.

Ron Francis is coming under heavy fire now for having knowledge of Peters "style" in Carolina, and doing nothing about it....even extending his contract.

Mike Babcock was just fired.....but, it came out afterwards that his style rubbed people the wrong way in Toronto (the Marner thing). It came out over the weekend that Babcock was also a jerk in Detroit, and was verbally assaulting Franzen on the bench during playoff loss to Nashville, and later behind closed doors. (this is coming from Chelios on Spittin Chiclets podcast)

Ken Holland may be under fire because of the Babcock stuff in Detroit, because reportedly several veteran players went to Holland and he basically supported Babcock and threatened to trade players who had a problem with him.

Who's up next?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Heat is on the old guard hockey guys in the NHL

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:Don Cherry was fired for his non-PC comments.

Bill Peters was fired/resigned for his racial comments, as well as physical abuse of players.

Ron Francis is coming under heavy fire now for having knowledge of Peters "style" in Carolina, and doing nothing about it....even extending his contract.

Mike Babcock was just fired.....but, it came out afterwards that his style rubbed people the wrong way in Toronto (the Marner thing). It came out over the weekend that Babcock was also a jerk in Detroit, and was verbally assaulting Franzen on the bench during playoff loss to Nashville, and later behind closed doors. (this is coming from Chelios on Spittin Chiclets podcast)

Ken Holland may be under fire because of the Babcock stuff in Detroit, because reportedly several veteran players went to Holland and he basically supported Babcock and threatened to trade players who had a problem with him.

Who's up next?
It's hard to say with the amount of emotional sissies around the league.

If Peters were still doing that, I get the controversy, but to force someone out for something that happened years ago is deplorable.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Daniel wrote: I get the controversy, but to force someone out for something that happened years ago is deplorable.
We have all said or done stupid things. I often wonder what the accusers in situations like this, have in their background.

Let he who without sin cast the first stone.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Looks like Marc Crawford is next up!

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/282 ... c-crawford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

And....Jim Montgomery has now been fired for "This decision was made due to unprofessional conduct inconsistent with the core values and beliefs of the Dallas Stars and the National Hockey League."

LeBrun reports this was planned or discussed before Bettman released his warning to teams about overlooking unprofessional conduct and facing severe consequences.

https://www.tsn.ca/dallas-stars-stars-f ... -1.1410975
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DeBoer out in SJ. Hockey related, no prior shenanigans.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Got an ax to grind against a former coach? It's open season. It's a veritable cafeteria of choices: Verbal abuse, physical abuse, bigotry, sexual issues, maybe even hate speech. And the best part, there is no statute of limitations. You'd better hope your behavior on the playground in elementary school was above reproach.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Humperdink wrote:Got an ax to grind against a former coach? It's open season. It's a veritable cafeteria of choices: Verbal abuse, physical abuse, bigotry, sexual issues, maybe even hate speech. And the best part, there is no statute of limitations. You'd better hope your behavior on the playground in elementary school was above reproach.
Until someone states specifically what was said it's not really believable. What's offensive to a reasonable person and what's offensive to a whiner who couldn't make an NHL career are two different things. Most of this sounds like sour grapes and over sensitive snow flakes than anything else. Doesn't mean they aren't correct, but people get offended by the truth because it hurts their feelings.

Of course now that it has started, telling someone to put more effort in will be considered abusive if the coach yelled it. But we're seeing all sports become sissified as the bubble wrap generation started to become professionals.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Not a fan of Mark Madden, but he is right on the money with his latest column:

"But accusations of coaching misconduct have deteriorated into complaining because a coach didn’t use a player as that player preferred or was mean to him.

"Coaching abuse at the NHL level just doesn’t seem a widespread problem. (A full investigation of the junior level seems well-advised.)

"Physical abuse should not be tolerated. But define what constitutes abuse. Being scratched when you want to play doesn’t qualify. Nor does getting yelled at."

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... se-in-nhl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Physical Abuse, racial slurs are absolutely fireable offenses. No objection from me on that. Verbal or emotional abuse is harder to define but the things Babcock were doing quality IMO. That is just being a bad person and should not be tolerated. Yelling at players for
mistakes or to motivate them is part of the game but there is a line that can’t be crossed there. That is what the league needs to define. I’d like anyone who calls people “snowflakes” for objecting to physical or verbal abuse to take some of that and see how they react. Somehow I think they wouldn’t be ok with it.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by interstorm »

Sams_Dog wrote:I’d like anyone who calls people “snowflakes” for objecting to physical or verbal abuse to take some of that and see how they react. Somehow I think they wouldn’t be ok with it.
There are a lot of people (even on here) that are perfectly fine with a lot of questionable things as long as it isn't directed at them. Empathy is a lost skill.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

interstorm wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:I’d like anyone who calls people “snowflakes” for objecting to physical or verbal abuse to take some of that and see how they react. Somehow I think they wouldn’t be ok with it.
There are a lot of people (even on here) that are perfectly fine with a lot of questionable things as long as it isn't directed at them. Empathy is a lost skill.
My definition of a snowflake is those who get offended at the spoken word. Conversations that formerly contained words or phrases that were typically acceptable, now can get you fired at the workplaces, can get you crucified on a college campus or vilified on social media. You walk on egg shells in certain circles.

While we are at, let's take down a few statues. At least those that are offensive *cough*.