Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pitts »

VA Fan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:34 am
Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:47 am
Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:30 pm
Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 pm
Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:51 pm

Again? How many roster cleanings are needed before they determine the roster isn’t the issue? There are only 6 guys on the roster from 2020-21 who played more than 20 games, add 2 from 2021-22 and add 4 from last season. They’ve done a roster housecleaning, they tend to replace over half the roster.

Do you what hasn’t changed since the 2020-21 season? The head coach and 2 assistant coaches. I think the roster house cleaning has been done ad nauseam, the front office house cleaning has been done, the ownership group has been changed.
As many as are necessary. Just because you add a new guy doesn’t mean he’s a fit or that it’s all going to work out if Favored Coach Replacement starts cracking the whip. This is a roster that just took a weeklong mental break when one of their friends was traded. Does that strike you as something to build on? Dubas literally just said he would have traded more guys if other teams had the cap space to deal with it.

Can you honestly look at either last year’s (Granlund-mania) or this year’s (only two lines need to score, honest) roster and say they’re a coaching change away from contending or even succeeding?

I mean, it’s been said numerous times in multiple media outlets that Sullivan isn’t going anywhere. How many times do they have to say it before acceptance kicks in?
I think they’re a better power play from contending. If the PP added 20 more goals they’d be about top 10 and possibly add 10 more wins (obviously I’d have to go through every game to back that up and I won’t but we both know most games are won/lost on little to no changes on the ice). Are you really saying Crosby, Malkin, Jake, Rust, Karlsson, Letang, Smith, Rakell can’t give you more on the PP? What more can they possibly do with the roster to get the PP better? Outside of the PP where is the team lacking? Yes they’ve given up, but this has been a train wreck of a season and only tradeable players are accountable.

I’ve accepted that Sullivan isn’t going anywhere, which means I’ve accepted this team isn’t going anywhere. I guess they can continually replace 10 players per year until they get the right group since it’s not the coach. I’ll still be a fan, I just have to limit my expectations.
How is the coach going to change the powerplay with the personnel on it? Look at those names! What is he going to tell them? No, that's on the players. Stop circling around the perimeter, work to the net and shoot the damn puck. It isn't rocket science, it's a player problem. I do not know how a coach gets through to them. Send out the bottom 6 for PP1?
If the coach can not affect the power play are we saying it is time to jettison the roster and race for the bottom.

Or are we just supposed to expect with another roster refresh that everyone will play in the penguins system as their career numbers suggest and hope for the best?

What is a reasonable expectation of the head coach’s duties? Is it just to practice concepts and talk to the media about them, but then because of who the players are he is not required to hold them accountable? Just curious.
My point is, It's Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson, add in Rust, (Guentzel ), and others. Why do they not get it? You mean to tell me they just can't figure out what they are doing wrong. The coach has made numerous changes to the powerplay over the curse of the season. Broken up the Big 4, tried others, etc. IDK, maybe he is telling them to pass it 100 times around the perimeter and only after 101 passes you can shoot it. Maybe that's it? Whatever it is, it clearly has us all flabbergasted. :)
VA Fan

Post by VA Fan »

Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:34 pm
VA Fan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:34 am
Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:47 am
Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:30 pm
Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 pm

As many as are necessary. Just because you add a new guy doesn’t mean he’s a fit or that it’s all going to work out if Favored Coach Replacement starts cracking the whip. This is a roster that just took a weeklong mental break when one of their friends was traded. Does that strike you as something to build on? Dubas literally just said he would have traded more guys if other teams had the cap space to deal with it.

Can you honestly look at either last year’s (Granlund-mania) or this year’s (only two lines need to score, honest) roster and say they’re a coaching change away from contending or even succeeding?

I mean, it’s been said numerous times in multiple media outlets that Sullivan isn’t going anywhere. How many times do they have to say it before acceptance kicks in?
I think they’re a better power play from contending. If the PP added 20 more goals they’d be about top 10 and possibly add 10 more wins (obviously I’d have to go through every game to back that up and I won’t but we both know most games are won/lost on little to no changes on the ice). Are you really saying Crosby, Malkin, Jake, Rust, Karlsson, Letang, Smith, Rakell can’t give you more on the PP? What more can they possibly do with the roster to get the PP better? Outside of the PP where is the team lacking? Yes they’ve given up, but this has been a train wreck of a season and only tradeable players are accountable.

I’ve accepted that Sullivan isn’t going anywhere, which means I’ve accepted this team isn’t going anywhere. I guess they can continually replace 10 players per year until they get the right group since it’s not the coach. I’ll still be a fan, I just have to limit my expectations.
How is the coach going to change the powerplay with the personnel on it? Look at those names! What is he going to tell them? No, that's on the players. Stop circling around the perimeter, work to the net and shoot the damn puck. It isn't rocket science, it's a player problem. I do not know how a coach gets through to them. Send out the bottom 6 for PP1?
If the coach can not affect the power play are we saying it is time to jettison the roster and race for the bottom.

Or are we just supposed to expect with another roster refresh that everyone will play in the penguins system as their career numbers suggest and hope for the best?

What is a reasonable expectation of the head coach’s duties? Is it just to practice concepts and talk to the media about them, but then because of who the players are he is not required to hold them accountable? Just curious.
My point is, It's Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson, add in Rust, (Guentzel ), and others. Why do they not get it? You mean to tell me they just can't figure out what they are doing wrong. The coach has made numerous changes to the powerplay over the curse of the season. Broken up the Big 4, tried others, etc. IDK, maybe he is telling them to pass it 100 times around the perimeter and only after 101 passes you can shoot it. Maybe that's it? Whatever it is, it clearly has us all flabbergasted. :)
That is the point of my question about the players and the coach. Is it a reasonable expectation speaking of all the players mentioned above to just right this year off as a statistical anomaly. That they absolutely will be better next year.
That the problems are with everybody not named above and we can try to overhaul the roster and everything will be better and so we should not ask Sullivan to hold everyone accountable.
Not treating everyone to the same standard is how you get a bad culture in teams.
If overhauling the roster does not work to try and clear out what I suppose everyone believes is the stench of Hextall’s moves and the current GM idiotic moves for no offense guys for the bottom 6 that clearly must have gone against the wishes and advice of the coaching staff what do we do then.
As a fan I hope the overhaul works. But I am prepared for the losing because it is going to happen sooner or later.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:57 pm

You're trying to change the narrative that we received nothing of substance in the Guentzel trade.? I admire a person trying to swim against the tide.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/03/ ... pirates-dk
• Sidney Crosby's for-real mad. Not manufactured. Not in the moment. Mario Lemieux wasn't the most hands-on owner, but he'd never have allowed any of this to unfold the way it did, even if he'd been in favor of rebuilding, even if he'd been in favor of moving Jake. All I'll say for now.
Mad, I tell you! Mad!!
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Can we let go of the Jake drama. There wasn’t this much angst when Jagr was traded to Washington for three nobodies.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:53 am Can we let go of the Jake drama. There wasn’t this much angst when Jagr was traded to Washington for three nobodies.
While I fully agree it is time to move on considering it was a move that needed to be made, there was still *much* more angst when Jagr was traded. At least from a fanbase perspective.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:53 am Can we let go of the Jake drama. There wasn’t this much angst when Jagr was traded to Washington for three nobodies.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Three Stars wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:37 am https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/03/ ... pirates-dk
• Sidney Crosby's for-real mad. Not manufactured. Not in the moment. Mario Lemieux wasn't the most hands-on owner, but he'd never have allowed any of this to unfold the way it did, even if he'd been in favor of rebuilding, even if he'd been in favor of moving Jake. All I'll say for now.
Mad, I tell you! Mad!!
I get it. Jake was not the problem that this team had/has clearly, but how many times are they going to just bring the same team back?

The only issue that I have with moving on from Jake was that they didn't try to save the season first by bringing in a new coach at the all-star break. Before we trade a first line winger, I would think we would have tried all avenues to save the season. Dubas wrongfully believed too much in the team and the core that they could "flip the switch" and kept kicking the can on his rumored deadline. This team has been consistently inconsistent for years now. They don't defend well consistently, the power play is a joke, they are soft offensively and defensively etc.

I think after this season we will start to see Dubas really take control of this team and there will be people/players/posters! that aren't going to be happy with some of the decisions made.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Acciari on IR, Poulin called up. Guessing it would had been Ponomarev but I think I saw he’s out week to week now.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:47 am
Three Stars wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:37 am https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/03/ ... pirates-dk
Mad, I tell you! Mad!!
I get it. Jake was not the problem that this team had/has clearly, but how many times are they going to just bring the same team back?

The only issue that I have with moving on from Jake was that they didn't try to save the season first by bringing in a new coach at the all-star break. Before we trade a first line winger, I would think we would have tried all avenues to save the season. Dubas wrongfully believed too much in the team and the core that they could "flip the switch" and kept kicking the can on his rumored deadline. This team has been consistently inconsistent for years now. They don't defend well consistently, the power play is a joke, they are soft offensively and defensively etc.

I think after this season we will start to see Dubas really take control of this team and there will be people/players/posters! that aren't going to be happy with some of the decisions made.
My completely manufactured guess is that Crosby/Malkin/Letang pushed management on the idea of the core still being enough to compete . "We got this." They bet on themselves as the season collapsed around them, and continued to do so through both of Dubas' self-imposed deadlines. Out of respect or whatever Dubas gave them a chance to get this. They didn't get this, Dubas did what he had to do, and now it's bruised egos all around.

Now, I realize how difficult it can be to come to terms with the fact that you can't do what you once did. Lemieux retired at 31 rather than fade, and I as I often say around here, this fanbase has never actually seen its stars fade in any notable amount which is making the transition doubly difficult. The stars themselves also haven't seen themselves fade and I don't think they're handling it all that well. Crosby is burning himself out to maintain his level. Malkin either doesn't see it or doesn't care how much he's changed, which shows you how much of his talent was in physical ability. Letang is Letangier than ever and always has had an ego. Honestly, Malkin and Letang are playing much like their current salaries (6 million and change), so by that reckoning we're getting exactly what the team is paying for...but two 6 million dollar players are generally not core pieces of a championship team.

The safest assumption on Dubas' part at this point is that this core doesn't have it. So, the choice is to either burn it all down or try to thread the needle by bringing in even more star power to restore their competitiveness. Karlsson was supposed to be the latter move, and well...here we are. Anyone else remember Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne signing with the Avalanche in the early 2000s? Sometimes the fit just isn't there.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:47 am
Mad, I tell you! Mad!!

I actually took that supposed Crosby anger as pointed toward the overall construction and play of the team rather than the Jake trade in particular. But, clearly, Crosby was affected by the trade for a bit there.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:04 am Acciari on IR, Poulin called up. Guessing it would had been Ponomarev but I think I saw he’s out week to week now.
He is. And I was really hoping to get to see him up with the big club at some point.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:33 am
DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:04 am Acciari on IR, Poulin called up. Guessing it would had been Ponomarev but I think I saw he’s out week to week now.
He is. And I was really hoping to get to see him up with the big club at some point.
Good to see Poulin up! he's earned the opportunity.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Happy to see Koivunen playing this well, he is the most exciting prospect for me that we got for Jake!

Also FINALLY Poulin called up, freaking time!
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:30 pm Happy to see Koivunen playing this well, he is the most exciting prospect for me that we got for Jake!

Also FINALLY Poulin called up, freaking time!
Good, was about time. Now we can stop complaining that Poulin does get a call.

I hope he gets some ice to work with
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

The Good: Poulin is finally called up!

The Bad: Carter is back from his injury

The Ugly: You know Sully will dress Carter before Poulin
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Bemstrom will get scratched I think.. So both Poulin and Carter will play
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:00 pm Bemstrom will get scratched I think.. So both Poulin and Carter will play
I bet it will be Puljujarvi
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Aciari is on LTIR and can’t come off until the season is over so he’s done.

This does mean though that there is cap space to take Nieto off LTIR if he’s ever ready.

And Poulin is on emergency so we still have 3 regular call ups to use which at least is one thing Dubas is somehow managing correctly.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I'll be interested to see how the 3rd and 4th lines shake out.

I would consider going Smith-Eller-Puljujarvi and Bemstrom-Poulin-Puustinen. Poulin has played a lot with Puustinen in WBS, and that would probably help him simplify his game.

But, Sullivan will probably decide Carter is ready and MUST be in the lineup, with so much on the line tonight in this game. :face:
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Minus Sid, Geno, and Letang would you be upset if no one else currently on the team was back next season? I don’t think I would, which goes to show you how little we have of value.

I like guys like Rust and MP but if they didn’t play for the Pens next season I wouldn’t be sad. It’s kind of funny because I remember being sad when guys like Tocchet, Francis and Robitaille left.

This team needs a major rebuild.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:13 pm Minus Sid, Geno, and Letang would you be upset if no one else currently on the team was back next season? I don’t think I would, which goes to show you how little we have of value.

I like guys like Rust and MP but if they didn’t play for the Pens next season I wouldn’t be sad. It’s kind of funny because I remember being sad when guys like Tocchet, Francis and Robitaille left.

Aside from Sid, Geno, and Letang...Rust and Jarry are the only other 2 that have been here for more than 5 years. Actually, Pettersson is finishing his 5th full season, plus the 57 games he played when acquired early in the season. Everyone else on this roster hasn't been here that long. Carter and POJ at 3.5 years each are next in tenure.

So, there aren't a lot of guys left to have that level of attachment. A complete rebuild is needed. Play a bunch of young guys and let them fail and be awful. Go with Blomqvist, keep St. Ivany, give DOC, Puustinen, Poulin, Bemstrom and Puljujarvi spots in the in lineup next year. Move everybody else.

Let's pretend we could move every single player we wanted this offseason, finished out of the top 10 worst and gave SJ our 1st this year, and stockpiled picks for the next 3 years. 1 or 2 extra firsts, a bunch of 2nds, and a bunch of 3rds. (Arizona has all 3 of its firsts, 10 2nds, and 7 3rd over the next 3 drafts; Nashville has an extra first, 2 extra 2nds and 2 extra 3rds over the next 3 drafts...that's how you rebuild quick). If the Penguins were bad next season and the year after, could get 2 top 5 players that come in right away...then use UFA to rebuild the team back up around Crosby...it is possible that the amount of downtime could be minimal.

Of course, then there is this from DK's 21 Takes today:

lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Yea, I think you are right that the rebuild does not need to take a super long time, but it cannot be rushed either. Some teams think they are there and try to get good via UFA too soon and you are then stuck in the middle with not enough young-drafted talent in the pipe. If Sid is still on the team, the temptation to rush will be there.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:31 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:13 pm Minus Sid, Geno, and Letang would you be upset if no one else currently on the team was back next season? I don’t think I would, which goes to show you how little we have of value.

Aside from Sid, Geno, and Letang...Rust and Jarry are the only other 2 that have been here for more than 5 years. Actually, Pettersson is finishing his 5th full season, plus the 57 games he played when acquired early in the season. Everyone else on this roster hasn't been here that long. Carter and POJ at 3.5 years each are next in tenure.

So, there aren't a lot of guys left to have that level of attachment. A complete rebuild is needed. Play a bunch of young guys and let them fail and be awful. Go with Blomqvist, keep St. Ivany, give DOC, Puustinen, Poulin, Bemstrom and Puljujarvi spots in the in lineup next year. Move everybody else.

Let's pretend we could move every single player we wanted this offseason, finished out of the top 10 worst and gave SJ our 1st this year, and stockpiled picks for the next 3 years. 1 or 2 extra firsts, a bunch of 2nds, and a bunch of 3rds. (Arizona has all 3 of its firsts, 10 2nds, and 7 3rd over the next 3 drafts; Nashville has an extra first, 2 extra 2nds and 2 extra 3rds over the next 3 drafts...that's how you rebuild quick). If the Penguins were bad next season and the year after, could get 2 top 5 players that come in right away...then use UFA to rebuild the team back up around Crosby...it is possible that the amount of downtime could be minimal.

Of course, then there is this from DK's 21 Takes today:

I love Mario but wasn't he the one who ultimately signed off on the brain trust of Hextall & Burke?