23-24 Penguins Injury Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: 23-24 Penguins Injury Thread

Post by Admin »

Sigwolf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:38 pm Yeah, there was an actual announcement a week or so back that Pysyk had signed a PTO with WBS, so no one was trying to keep a secret there. I'm pretty sure someone posted it somewhere here, as well.
Just proof that FLPensFan has blocked me. :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=69904
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I heard a noise? *shrug*

Must have happened on a busy work day or something where I didn't meet my 10 hour required quota on LGP for the day. :wink:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Taylor Haase says keep an eye on the waiver wire today. Ned and Ludvig are both eligible to come off LTIR in time for tomorrow's game. If both were to come off, the Penguins would likely need to waive someone to make room. Hellberg can go down without issue, but, if the Penguins don't want 12F and 8D, they'll have to waive someone.

They could also send Hinostroza down...which would 10000000% be the WRONG MOVE.

Not mentioned by Taylor, but my dark horse is they just move Jeff Carter from IR to LTIR and don't have to worry about it.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:50 am Taylor Haase says keep an eye on the waiver wire today. Ned and Ludvig are both eligible to come off LTIR in time for tomorrow's game. If both were to come off, the Penguins would likely need to waive someone to make room. Hellberg can go down without issue, but, if the Penguins don't want 12F and 8D, they'll have to waive someone.

Not mentioned by Taylor, but my dark horse is they just move Jeff Carter from IR to LTIR and don't have to worry about it.
JMFC to LTIR sounds like the right choice
Spoiler:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

According to Sullivan a few moments ago, POJ has not been a healthy scratch the last few games. He's been dealing with a nagging injury. The hope/plan was to get him back in the lineup today, but he's still not ready.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:23 pm According to Sullivan a few moments ago, POJ has not been a healthy scratch the last few games. He's been dealing with a nagging injury. The hope/plan was to get him back in the lineup today, but he's still not ready.
To be fair, POJ or Shea in the lineup is six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Time for Big Jeff to develop a "rash".
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:54 am
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:50 am Taylor Haase says keep an eye on the waiver wire today. Ned and Ludvig are both eligible to come off LTIR in time for tomorrow's game. If both were to come off, the Penguins would likely need to waive someone to make room. Hellberg can go down without issue, but, if the Penguins don't want 12F and 8D, they'll have to waive someone.

JMFC to LTIR sounds like the right choice
Spoiler:
Nobody on waivers. So, either they'll move Carter to LTIR...or both Ludvig and Ned aren't ready to come off yet.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... d-reserve/

PO to IR. Harkins recalled...Would like White to get recalled so he can play 4C and move Acciari to the wing...
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:58 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... d-reserve/

PO to IR. Harkins recalled...Would like White to get recalled so he can play 4C and move Acciari to the wing...
Harkins just looks like a #15F. Rather they recalled anyone else to see what they can bring instead.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

White's been listed as injured at WBS. Hasn't been in recent line ups. Same with Poulin.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Geezer wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:19 pm White's been listed as injured at WBS. Hasn't been in recent line ups. Same with Poulin.
Ah. Thanks for the info :thumb:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The Chud is being evaluated for a lower body injury following the game today.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Hm, I guess Ludvig or Pysyk up now..
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens4Life wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:52 am Hm, I guess Ludvig or Pysyk up now..
Pysyk would need a contract first. Ludvig was down in WBS for LTIR conditioning and has played twice against the PBruins. I imagine it'll be Ludvig, though...

I think Pens will have to send someone down first. So expect Pens to bump Vinnie down. Could be Zohorna too, to 'refresh' his waivers exemption, but that would require Vinnie being ready to play. Either way, more Carter..
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Zohorna at this point shouldn’t be involved in waiver games. He’s earned a permanent spot unless Vinnie can’t play and we have to end up playing 11 forwards because of the cap. I don’t think we could send someone under an NHL contract hurt down to WBS within the CBA when they are injured in the NHL.

In any case, if Chad and POJ can’t play we will need cap space to take Ludvig off LTIR or call up another defenseman.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Also a note that, if the Penguins decide to sign Pysyk at some point, he will have to be offered on waivers first...which means someone could snag him.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:51 pm Also a note that, if the Penguins decide to sign Pysyk at some point, he will have to be offered on waivers first...which means someone could snag him.
Hm, about that... what's the source for this? I cannot find it.

Pysyk had a PTO with PIT and wasn't signed, because he was injured and Pens were strapped for cash and contract slots. Pysyk is currently on a PTO with WBS and has played 5 games since.

Near as I can tell, Pysyk can be signed to an NHL contract and put on the roster immediately. Now if Pysyk gets sent down after injured players return, then I imagine he'd need to clear waivers like everyone else.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:08 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:51 pm Also a note that, if the Penguins decide to sign Pysyk at some point, he will have to be offered on waivers first...which means someone could snag him.
Hm, about that... what's the source for this? I cannot find it.

Pysyk had a PTO with PIT and wasn't signed, because he was injured and Pens were strapped for cash and contract slots. Pysyk is currently on a PTO with WBS and has played 5 games since.

Near as I can tell, Pysyk can be signed to an NHL contract and put on the roster immediately. Now if Pysyk gets sent down after injured players return, then I imagine he'd need to clear waivers like everyone else.
The source is FLPensFan. To the best of my knowledge, any player signing with a new team after the season starts has to be offered up on waivers before he can join the NHL roster.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Latest as of today per Taylor Haase:

Rickard Rakell: Longer-term, upper-body injury

Chad Ruhwedel: Week-to-week, lower-body injury

Matt Nieto: Maintenance day

Bryan Rust: (Came onto the ice for practice but left early) Being evaluated for lower-body injury.

P.O Joseph: Still dealing with lower-body injury, "unavailable" for next game.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:48 pm Latest as of today per Taylor Haase:

Bryan Rust: (Came onto the ice for practice but left early) Being evaluated for lower-body injury.

This is the nightmare scenario I talked about early in the offseason. We picked up tons of depth, but this team was going to be in trouble if it lost 2 top 6 wingers, which we now apparently have in Rust and Rakell.

So, the Penguins go into the game tomorrow missing 2 top 6 wingers, dressing 2 bottom 6 players who are offering next to nothing in Nieto and Carter.
WBS also has injuries, as both Poulin and White are injured.

If I'm Sullivan, I call up Puustinen and give him his shot in the top 6. If you want to see if the kid has anything and is worth keeping around, now is the time. I'd promote Zohorna back to the other top 6 spot next to Malkin, and I'd likely call up Gruden for the 4th line:

Guentzel-Crosby-Puustinen
Smith-Malkin-Zohorna
DOC-Eller-Acciari
Nieto-Gruden-Carter
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:18 pm

This is the nightmare scenario I talked about early in the offseason. We picked up tons of depth, but this team was going to be in trouble if it lost 2 top 6 wingers, which we now apparently have in Rust and Rakell.

So, the Penguins go into the game tomorrow missing 2 top 6 wingers, dressing 2 bottom 6 players who are offering next to nothing in Nieto and Carter.

If I'm Sullivan, I call up Puustinen and give him his shot in the top 6. If you want to see if the kid has anything and is worth keeping around, now is the time. I'd promote Zohorna back to the other top 6 spot next to Malkin, and I'd likely call up Gruden for the 4th line:

Smith-Malkin-Zohorna
DOC-Eller-Acciari
Nieto-Gruden-Carter
That looks far too reasonable.

Sully is likely to do something like this. Carts goes to third line, DOC plays with Sid, Z with Geno, Harkins comes up to complete the 4th.

And no I'd rather not have this. Dunno if the cap shenanigans even allow for enough callups. But Pitlick and Nylander are also down there for just this kind of situation. Unless theyre also injured.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:34 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:18 pm

Smith-Malkin-Zohorna
DOC-Eller-Acciari
Nieto-Gruden-Carter
That looks far too reasonable.

Sully is likely to do something like this. Carts goes to third line, DOC plays with Sid, Z with Geno, Harkins comes up to complete the 4th.

And no I'd rather not have this. Dunno if the cap shenanigans even allow for enough callups. But Pitlick and Nylander are also down there for just this kind of situation. Unless theyre also injured.
If Rakell is listed as being out long term, cap shouldn't be a concern at this point. I'd call up Pitlick to replace Nieto, but we know Sullivan won't do that. Pitlick actually leads WBS in points with 3 goals and 10 points.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I would still go with Nylander one more time to see if he can do anything productive with Geno Smith.

But Rakell has to go on LTIR to have any cap space at all for moves. We need fast players up too when we play the faster teams. I was surprised how not fast Vegas was where Carter could keep up but the Rags will eat him alive, need as much speed as possible playing them. I’m still OK working Carter in when the other team isn’t as fast as teams like the Canes and Devils.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Madden is floating the idea that they should go sign Phil the Thrill for league minimum.