Congrats to Jagr!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Congrats to Jagr!!

Post by Skatingpen »

Well deserved
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Congrats to Jagr!!

Post by Lesky »

FINALLY

ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

I really hope the fans that go give Jagr a warm welcome home, and show their appreciation for everything he did for the franchise.

Congrats to one of my childhood idols!
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Will the Penguins make MADE IN CANADA remakes of every jersey Jagr wore as a Penguin for sale like Anaheim did with Selanne for his retirement night?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Fabulous! There are wonderful videos all over with this news. 68 with 66 - woo. Yes all those merry Jagrs' guys can come too. 8-) :thumb:
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Will Mario be there as part of the celebration?

Congratulations, Jaromir. Your number definitely is worthy of being on the rafters.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

BigMcK wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:05 pm Will Mario be there as part of the celebration?
I’m sure he will be there. So will other ex teammates too - Bourque, Errey, Trottier, Wregget, Loney. Jan Hrdina should carry his luggage through the airport. He deserves the honor and it’ll be nice to see this finally happen.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Long overdue
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

This is great! Seemed like this day would never come. The glory days with Jagr were unbelievable, and it’ll forever be a sore spot with the way that we had to let him go. I’m grateful that there will be a happy ending to this.
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by mnpensfan »

Long overdue and very much deserved. One of my top Penguins memories is the series against the Devils in 1999 when Jagr eliminated NJ on basically one leg because his groin was so bad. Still gives me goose bumps.

Not sure if everybody saw his Spittin Chiclets this past summer but it was really good......talks about his time in Pittsburgh, Mario, Mario's comeback, his trade, etc. Very cool to see him in this lens.......

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Good news indeed! Looking forward to seeing the celebration and some old familiar faces!
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Sams_Dog wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:13 pm
BigMcK wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:05 pm Will Mario be there as part of the celebration?
I’m sure he will be there. So will other ex teammates too - Bourque, Errey, Trottier, Wregget, Loney. Jan Hrdina should carry his luggage through the airport. He deserves the honor and it’ll be nice to see this finally happen.
Hridna should carry his luggage, Zahorna should pick him up at the airport.
BB
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BB »

Because he’s STILL playing to keep his team afloat (ala Mario) is why it was taking so long, but eff it, it’s been needing to happen for a while. It will be a highlight of my life watching my all-time favorite Penguin go up to the rafters. And obviously, three (four?) more numbers will be up behind him at some point. Retired numbers mean something in Pittsbugh (unlike some other questionable choices up for other teams)
Congrats, Jags
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

mnpensfan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:50 pm Long overdue and very much deserved. One of my top Penguins memories is the series against the Devils in 1999 when Jagr eliminated NJ on basically one leg because his groin was so bad. Still gives me goose bumps.

Not sure if everybody saw his Spittin Chiclets this past summer but it was really good......talks about his time in Pittsburgh, Mario, Mario's comeback, his trade, etc. Very cool to see him in this lens.......

Thanks for sharting this, mnpensfan! While of always been a huge Jagr fan, I soured on him in his second stint in the NHL, as I came to see him as just a mercenary. But hearing him talk about what it's like playing at age 40+, and also signing with Omsk because he promised he would, I have new respect for him. I wish I could be in the 'burgh to see this game!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

I think Hersheys / Reese should issue a special commemorative Kit-Kat bar for him! :lol:
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Tico Rick, that’s one heck of a funny autocorrect fail there. :lol:
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Grats to Jagr.

One of the main reasons I got hooked on hockey. Screw association football. :thumb:

Absolute legend.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

BB wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:13 pm Because he’s STILL playing to keep his team afloat (ala Mario) is why it was taking so long, but eff it, it’s been needing to happen for a while. It will be a highlight of my life watching my all-time favorite Penguin go up to the rafters. And obviously, three (four?) more numbers will be up behind him at some point. Retired numbers mean something in Pittsbugh (unlike some other questionable choices up for other teams)
Congrats, Jags
With Barrasso’s HOF induction this week and Jagr’s undoubtedly coming one day this makes TWELVE Hall of Famers on the 1991 Penguins Cup team. That’s as many (or maybe more) than any team ever. Even some of those Canadiens dynasty years teams.
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Weegie »

Mario Jr.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Never wanted to ever see him play for a different team. I mean I know we got Kris Beech and all but we sure missed out badly on that one. All joking aside, he likely delivered us Crosby.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Weegie wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:50 pmMario Jr.
Came here to say the same thing.

Really glad to see this finally happen. Jagr was one of the bright spots of the mid-to-late 90s teams, one of the greatest ever and we got to see him do ridiculous things on the ice when so much else was a mess.

*salutes*
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

It's about **** time. I never understood all the hate thrown at him.
mariojr
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by mariojr »

Perhaps the greatest tribute one can make to Jagr was that the neutral zone trap was designed to stop him. Well, OK, it was designed to stop Lemieux and Gretzky as well. But mainly, Lemieux and Jagr, since the Penguins were the team New Jersey needed to beat to get to the finals. Teams couldn't stop him any other way; they had to impede him, clutch and grab onto him, and even trip or hook him. He would stickhandle from the half-wall through the entire defense to score a goal. So in a way, you can blame the three I mentioned for the clutching and grabbing, neutral zone trapping, wake me I'm napping version of hockey that took over in the mid 90's. They were just too good for teams to try to handle them any other way.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by RentedMule66 »

FINALLY!!! This is awesome news! Wish I could be at the game. Hope he gets a huge ovation and all the old timers break out their 68 jerseys!!
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

mariojr wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:26 am Perhaps the greatest tribute one can make to Jagr was that the neutral zone trap was designed to stop him. Well, OK, it was designed to stop Lemieux and Gretzky as well. But mainly, Lemieux and Jagr, since the Penguins were the team New Jersey needed to beat to get to the finals. Teams couldn't stop him any other way; they had to impede him, clutch and grab onto him, and even trip or hook him. He would stickhandle from the half-wall through the entire defense to score a goal. So in a way, you can blame the three I mentioned for the clutching and grabbing, neutral zone trapping, wake me I'm napping version of hockey that took over in the mid 90's. They were just too good for teams to try to handle them any other way.
God that was boring to watch. And Bettman and the league sat by and enabled it because it kept scoring low and thus salaries lower. Interference was a joke back then, even before the mid 90s. Watch some games from the early 90s and and how Lemieux was shadowed. It’s pretty much constant interference the whole time he’s on the ice.