Congrats to Jagr!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Congrats to Jagr!!

Post by penny lane »

So happy for those folks at the practice. Spoiled me got to see him play.
Congratulations Jaromir~ all the greatness on the pens, only the 3rd time retiring a number.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

ejd43 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:32 pm Trying to watch the 7:30 program right now. Anyone else getting the RMU post game??
Just checked my recording. Same thing. RMU went to OT. I’ll record it today at 12:30.

Inside Penguins Hockey repeats fairly often so catching it shouldn’t be an issue.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Watching some of the videos on the Penguins Twitter page, I never put two and two together about Uwe Krupp and Jagr.

If you are unsure what I am talking about....I'm sure many of us remember the Uwe Krupp OT goal from just inside the blue line that beat Barrasso and eliminated the Penguins from making the playoffs.

I never realized losing that game is what put us 5th overall in line to draft Jagr...aided a bit Jagr telling the 4 teams ahead of us he wasn't going to leave Europe to play for them.

Penguins site has a recap of that game, and Krupp and the end of the video talking about how we owe it all to him for getting Jagr.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

The Inside Penguins Hockey - Celebration 68 was a great show. Great memories, but most of all it gave a ton more insight into Jags. It's a good watch.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by RentedMule66 »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:15 pm Watching some of the videos on the Penguins Twitter page, I never put two and two together about Uwe Krupp and Jagr.

If you are unsure what I am talking about....I'm sure many of us remember the Uwe Krupp OT goal from just inside the blue line that beat Barrasso and eliminated the Penguins from making the playoffs.

I never realized losing that game is what put us 5th overall in line to draft Jagr...aided a bit Jagr telling the 4 teams ahead of us he wasn't going to leave Europe to play for them.

Penguins site has a recap of that game, and Krupp and the end of the video talking about how we owe it all to him for getting Jagr.
IIRC he told everyone he would only play with Mario and he wouldn't sign with any of the 4 teams ahead of us. Don't remember who the other 4 teams were, but they were all under the impression he wasn't coming over from the Czech republic. I'll always remember his incredible balance and strength on the puck. Can't wait for tonight. I'm jealous of all of you who are going. Hope the arena is rockin' tonight. LOOOOOOOONG overdue. Welcome home forever 68!!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:15 pm Watching some of the videos on the Penguins Twitter page, I never put two and two together about Uwe Krupp and Jagr.

I remember that well. Pens had to win or tie to make the playoofs. I was up at Penn State partying with friends. The game was not on TV for some reason so we went to a fraternity party. I was having such a good time I completely forgot about the game. My friend showed up and said, "Did you hear about the Penguins game?" I froze. I said, "No. What happened?" He said, "Lemieux came back for the game (he was out for weeks with a herniated disc). The game went to overtime and Buffalo scored." I slumped down in a chair in depression for about five minutes. LOL. People thought someone died. This is how big making the playoffs was back then because they had missed them so much. I couodn't have known it at the time but it was such a huge blessing in disguise. Just like Jagr being traded. In the end it led to the team rebuilding and getting Sid.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

RentedMule66 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:46 pm

IIRC he told everyone he would only play with Mario and he wouldn't sign with any of the 4 teams ahead of us. Don't remember who the other 4 teams were, but they were all under the impression he wasn't coming over from the Czech republic. I'll always remember his incredible balance and strength on the puck. Can't wait for tonight. I'm jealous of all of you who are going. Hope the arena is rockin' tonight. LOOOOOOOONG overdue. Welcome home forever 68!!
I was surprised when Craig Patrick said this in an interview like five years ago. I never heard that before. Quebec, Detroit, Vanvouver, and Philly were numbers 1-4. There was no real agreement about who was the best among the top four picks but it was always the same top four - Mike Ricci, Owen Nolan, Keith Primeau, and Petr Nedved. Jagr was almost always ranked fifth in the lists I saw. Quebec took Nolan, Detroit took Primeau, Vancouver took Nedved (he had played in Canada for a bit so they thought he would be more acclimated the NA game). Then Philly, who were known at that time to never draft Euros, took Ricci. Pierre Maguire said that always wanted Jagr so they were thrilled. The Islanders, who picked sixth, took Scott Scissons who was a bust. I sometimes wonder of they would have taken Jagr at #5 if the Pens had won that game versus Buffalo. I bet they would have. We'll never know.
Last edited by Sams_Dog on Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

The Traveling Jagrs is re-united in Pittsburgh for the ceremony 😃 MEGA!

Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

So many great memories from the unforgettable career that Jaromir Jagr achieved with the Penguins:

-the Uwe Krupp goal that kept the Pens from making the 1990 Playoffs(negating a dramatic Mario Lemieux return) and gave them the opportunity to draft Jagr

-getting Jiri Hrdina via trade early in the 90-91 season to get a fellow veteran Czech to help him adjust to life in the USA and NHL

-using him on a 3rd Line with a great veteran in Bryan Trottier and character guy in Troy Loney to allow his game to develop.Add in Phil Bourque as a guy he also was able to benefit from playing with as well

-watching glimpses of his talent in the 91 Cup Run,the amazing OT Goal against NJ to get the team going and his skill level in the Finals vs Minnesota

-his ascension to star level in the 92 Cup Run after Mario went out with the broken hand.His Play went to another level against the Rangers,Bruins and Chicago.Those teams had no answer for his skill in the 3 series he dominated them.

-taking on the role at the top of NHL Players in the 95 Short Season and exhibiting that skill in the Playoff Series Comeback Win vs the Caps

-giving Pens and Hockey Fans a show of his brilliance every night along with Mario in the 95-96 Season.His best Year IMHO.There were many games that left Hockey Fans shaking their heads at what was going on out there that season.

-maintaining his status as the top player in the NHL after Mario retired in 1997.He carried the team through the 1998,1999 and 2000 Seasons,gave an unforgettable performance to beat the Devils in the 99 Playoffs and was a one man show in the 2000 Playoff Run that had so many dramatic games

-giving the Pens another great season with Mario returning in 2001 and picking up right where he left off with Lemieux nearly 4 years after he retired with an amazing run from that team

It was a true honor to watch the career Jaromir Jagr gave to the Team and Fans.A fitting tribute to an All Time Great Pittsburgh Penguin and NHL Star who left a lasting Legacy to endure forever.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I've got goosebumps for this ceremony.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Has the thing actually started yet? ESPN+ is just showing the same ad on loop.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Supposed to start at 4:15 per Sportsnet Pittsburgh.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

Fast B wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:07 pm Has the thing actually started yet? ESPN+ is just showing the same ad on loop.
Yeah nothing on ESPN+ yet. Not sure what the deal is. The anticipation is killing me though! :scared:
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

It's on Sportsnet Pittsburgh now. (4:16PM)

LOL, Lots of mullets in the stands!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Seeing these guys sure makes me feel old……
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

About the only guy missing is Herb. Too bad he’s not still around.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

E-Ramone wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:23 pm About the only guy missing is Herb. Too bad he’s not still around.
And Badger Bob.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Kind of interesting that Marty Straka and Trots aren't there.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

Badger Bob wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:24 pm
E-Ramone wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:23 pm About the only guy missing is Herb. Too bad he’s not still around.
And Badger Bob.
Oh man, I feel shame!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Steigy just made this weird
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Badger Bob wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:30 pm Kind of interesting that Marty Straka and Trots aren't there.
Isles are playing right now in their Stadium Series game so they might had done something for their legends.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Yeah,Trots did the puck drop at the outdoor game.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Josef Melichar is the player who connected the Jagr Era to the Crosby Era.