Game 18 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Game 18 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by Penspal »

Pens lose 1-0

- This was not a defensive gem by either team... both goalies stole the show
- PP1 is broken. I'd honestly like to see PP2 more than PP1 atm Seriously, how do they perform so poorly :shock:
- I'd say the pens need a "true" net front presence for pplay, but open to anything as long as its not more of the same
- I've been impressed by Vinnie Hinostroza, showed smarts again last night by throwing the puck at glove free hand
- Close game against a quality team with a slighly banged up squad. It sucks to lose and stall recent momentum, but its only game 18
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Game 18 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by Badger Bob »

0 for 5 on the PP is totally unacceptable. Reirden should be headed for the unemployment line. They are 7 for 51 on the PP this season (13.7%). That puts them at 26th in the league. Even worse, they've gone 1 for the last 20 chances in the last eight games. That's a 5% rate. That kind of output would be at the bottom of the league. They keep doing the same things over and over again. It's time for the change. And if Sully won't do it, perhaps it's time for him to go as well. FSG can't be happy with the results so far this season.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Even if Rierden isn’t responsible for the PP, and I don’t know what Vellucci does, but someone on the coaching staff needs to be held accountable. When you bring in Karlsson and it doesn’t help the PP then it’s the approach to the PP that needs to change. Either the players are doing exactly what someone is telling them to do or the coach is too weak or too stupid to enforce their plan and letting the players do whatever they want.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Read somewhere that they have run the same power play for the last nine years. Maybe, just maybe, teams are on to them……….

Bring in Eddie Johnson and have him consult. He is a PP genius
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

My thoughts:
I’m just glad we don’t have a game today.
I hope all of you have a great day spending time with your family & making memories!
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:31 am My thoughts:
I’m just glad we don’t have a game today.
I hope all of you have a great day spending time with your family & making memories!
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Agreed! Happy Thanksgiving to all of yinz and to your families.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Credit where credit is due. Jarry played a great game and deserved better.
Power play is just awful.
The year I was introduced to volcano mashed potatoes. Thanks, Ol' 29er!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Changes coming?

From Pittsburghhockeynow.com:
https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/penguin ... wer-plays/
The Pittsburgh Penguins made perhaps the biggest wrinkle yet on their struggling power play, separating centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin on their two units at practice Thursday at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex.

Crosby was on the top unit, along with Erik Karlsson, Jake Guentzel, Vinnie Hinostroza and, at the net front, Radim Zohorna.

Malkin was on the second unit with Kris Letang, Reilly Smith, Alex Nylander and, at the net front, Jeff Carter.
We'll see if this sticks and if it works against Buffalo. Good thing Jeff Carter is on a PP unit, amirite?
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Admin wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:01 pm Credit where credit is due. Jarry played a great game and deserved better.
The year I was introduced to volcano mashed potatoes. Thanks, Ol' 29er!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Best Wishes to everyone for a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving!!
Last edited by Zalapski33 on Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Oh, and thanks to Ovechkin (and Crosby) for saving the league. :lol:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2773854
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Badger Bob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:17 pm Changes coming?

From Pittsburghhockeynow.com:
https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/penguin ... wer-plays/
The Pittsburgh Penguins made perhaps the biggest wrinkle yet on their struggling power play, separating centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin on their two units at practice Thursday at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex.

Crosby was on the top unit, along with Erik Karlsson, Jake Guentzel, Vinnie Hinostroza and, at the net front, Radim Zohorna.

Malkin was on the second unit with Kris Letang, Reilly Smith, Alex Nylander and, at the net front, Jeff Carter.
We'll see if this sticks and if it works against Buffalo. Good thing Jeff Carter is on a PP unit, amirite?
Scary.. I posted Malkin to PP2 in the GDT last night. We're actually going to change stuff?

Pens had all game to provide enough offense to score a bunch of goals and didn't get it done. PP looked like a 5on5.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

I was going to post here earlier that the Pens need to split up Crosby and Malkin, and viola! Sullivan does it! I would call them PP A1 and PP A2, and send out A1 the first time a penalty is called, and if they don't score, then send out A2 the next time. Keep on alternating like this until one unit scores.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:31 pmScary.. I posted Malkin to PP2 in the GDT last night. We're actually going to change stuff?
Sullivan has been proving alll the Sullivan haters wrong at every turn this year... he wouldn't put Letang on the #2 PP, he wouldn't bench Carter, he wouldn't play young players. Some people may want to eat crow rather than turkey today! :lol:

PS – Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Volcano Mashed Potatoes, recently signed from the Exquisite League, has extensive skills in positioning in front of the net to screen the goalie. How the coaching staff utilizes this ability is anyone's guess.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

:fist:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

I'm all for the split PPlay, but it has to stay that way. Nothing will work right away, let this happen naturally.

As for Carter in front of the net on PP2, I'm all for it. He's big and strong and can just focus on battles and causing havoc.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I'm all for it as well. Let's hope they find it in themselves the wearwithal to make it work. I think this is long long overdue. We shall see.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Admin wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:01 pm Credit where credit is due. Jarry played a great game and deserved better.
This! I must admit Jarry made some spectacular saves. :thumb:

O for 5? :shock: :face: This is incomprehensible and totally unacceptable. :scared:
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:52 pm
This! I must admit Jarry made some spectacular saves. :thumb:

O for 5? :shock: :face: This is incomprehensible and totally unacceptable. :scared:
Yup Jarry was fine that game. Don't see a reason to fault him at all for the one that went in, that was a sick backhander. Anytime the other team scores only one, we should win. This is all on the offense.