Game 20 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Game 20 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by Penspal »

Pens win 3-2

- Pens held the lead and got the much needed 2 pts. Leafs are like the Pens, don't play well vs non playoff teams :shock:
- Acciari played well, HUGE goal & net front. Has he ever played PPlay netfront :P
- Karlsson's got a rocket shot. He needs to use it more, wrister might be more effective, but he needs to keep showing slapshot to loosen dzone
- Ludvig & the hits! His play i's starting to grow on me. Pens get pushed around too often, at least he responds in kind
- Call the chemist, because the chemistry between Geno & Smith seems to be waning, imho. Is Nylander the right guy, something to keep watching
- Preds on Tuesday. Let's Go Pens!
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 20 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by Puck-Lurker »

- Jarry failed the eye test. He struggled to control rebounds and was flopping about. He tightened it up in the third, but watching him was often nerve wracking. Defence needs to help him a lot more than they do - and Jarry needs to help his D.
- Acciari had a terrific game. We'll need that from our bottom six. Can't rely solely on the top 6 or we'll be sunk.
- Karlsson wants the puck. That can be really bad when he doesn't play the position and take the body first. It can also be really great when he lasers one home.
- Anyone can look good with Sid but good vibes for DOC.

- .500 hockey, we really need to get out of first gear.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Is Nylander really the best option on this team?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Skatingpen wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:11 am Is Nylander really the best option on this team?
Maybe not.. but why did we play Carter over Hinostroza? Vinnie was doing well I thought, whereas Carter, I'm not sure what he adds.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Last night I attended my first in-person game since 1994 (yeah, 29 years :shock: ). I was a season ticket holder from 1986-1994, but after that life, kids, and expenses got in the way. It was quite an experience. Some thoughts from last night:
  • Parked about half mile away and walked to PPG Paints Arena, but I didn't see the trumpet guy (probably only old-timers will laugh). :lol:
  • This was my first time in the building. We sat in the very next to last row of seats - altitude required oxygen masks. :wink:
  • Tons of Leaf fans in our section and seemed to be everywhere. They were polite, well behaved, and very enthusiastic. Chants of "Go, Leafs, go!" frequently drowned out the Pens fans. Sat next to a father from Ontario who told us that Leaf ticket prices were much more expensive than coming here. :shock:
  • Throughout the game (from the row behind me), I was treated to the typical yinzer lady Penguin fan - older, badly dyed orange hair, and screetchy whiskey-tenor voice airing her uninformed opinions about the players' games. Could have been much worse, though. I could be married to her! :shock: :lol:
  • PPG Paints Arena is dominated by the jumbo-tron and sound / light systems. It's absolutely huge (and necessary because you are so much further away from the ice). We also noticed the constant music / noise. Not really much quiet time or time to process things. Begs the question: Is the national ADHD epidemic caused by this constant stimulation or does it require these types of non-stop arena activities? Anyway, I was reminded of a 2019 Wheeling Nailers game I attended with some old Boy Scout buddies. The in-arena MC / cheerleader was important; he distracted people from the absolutely awful hockey being played. There might be some of that going on here. :roll:
  • The defense looked awful. We seemed to play a lot of the game in our own end. I'm not sure how the personnel changes have helped there.
  • Jarry faced a lot of shots, and there were always a couple of Leafs screening him. He didn't play badly given the poor defense, but there was a lot of desperate flopping around. At times, he looked like a fish at Wholeys. :scared:
  • As someone previously noted, the Pens are barely a .500 team. They need a change and while firing the coaching staff might not fix everything, it would be a start. The same old tactics aren't working.
  • PP1 was, as usual, a passing clinic. And as usual, it went 0 for the game. Splitting Malkin and Crosby to separate PP units was short-lived, apparently, because they were back on PP1.
  • That being said, Malkin looked strong in 5v5 situations. Acciari played very well and was a real stand-out. :thumb:
  • The GWG by Captain Morg, er Erik Karlsson (he does bear a resemblance) was an absolute laser. Wow! :fist:
All in all, a wonderful experience. I'm glad I did get to the "new" building. And that the Pens grabbed an important 2 points.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:09 pm Could have been much worse, though. I could be married to her! :shock: :lol:
Yep, I laughed at this...

One thing missing from your visit, how shocked were you about food / beverage cost from your last game to today?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

BigMcK wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:16 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:09 pm Could have been much worse, though. I could be married to her! :shock: :lol:
Yep, I laughed at this...

One thing missing from your visit, how shocked were you about food / beverage cost from your last game to today?
Yeah, I was too shocked to comment. :lol: :lol:

We did buy a small pop - for $7.58 :shock: :shock:

And beers started at $13 and change. Too bad, because some of the Pens' play will drive you to drinking.

Actually, in terms of how they played, it felt like 1985 again. :face: And that's not a good thing.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

SULLY STILL NEEDS TO BE FIRED, THAT HAS NOT CHANGED
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

"Throughout the game (from the row behind me), I was treated to the typical yinzer lady Penguin fan - older, badly dyed orange hair, and screetchy whiskey-tenor voice airing her uninformed opinions about the players' games. Could have been much worse, though. I could be married to her! :shock: :lol:"

Ah, yes...the obligatory loud-mouthed know-it-all fan who sits right behind you and yells "SHOOT IT!" every time the Pens have the puck and "HIT SOMEBODY!" whenever they don't. Such fun. I would say those people end up right behind me at about 75% of the games I've attended. Since you are an old-time season ticket holder you may remember hearing the screeching voice of the woman from games in the late 80s and early 90s on television broadcasts. She must have sat right under Mike Lange and Steigey. She sounded like the bus driver on South Park. "C.MON ZARLEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY!"
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

That was my Mom! :evil:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Sams_Dog wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:38 pm "Throughout the game (from the row behind me), I was treated to the typical yinzer lady Penguin fan - older, badly dyed orange hair, and screetchy whiskey-tenor voice airing her uninformed opinions about the players' games. Could have been much worse, though. I could be married to her! :shock: :lol:"

Ah, yes...the obligatory loud-mouthed know-it-all fan who sits right behind you and yells "SHOOT IT!" every time the Pens have the puck and "HIT SOMEBODY!" whenever they don't. Such fun. I would say those people end up right behind me at about 75% of the games I've attended. Since you are an old-time season ticket holder you may remember hearing the screeching voice of the woman from games in the late 80s and early 90s on television broadcasts. She must have sat right under Mike Lange and Steigey. She sounded like the bus driver on South Park. "C.MON ZARLEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY!"
You know, it only took her about 20 minutes to undo years of therapy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And she's the reason you needed the wise-cracking vendor in the stands who sold "intangible beer" and "nice cold beer like Dougie Sheddon used to drink". :lol:
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Unbeliever »

Living in Sweden I usually have to watch the games on the day after. So here is my late take.

- Not the best game the pens ever played, but not a bad one either. After two losses where they kind of deserved a better fate I am happy with this one.
- Acciari was on an absolute mission. Even Carter had chances when the fourth line powered like that. I hope he can build off that game and take some of that determination with him.
- I honestly don't know what their plan is with the PP. What was the point of trying the new units against Buffalo if they're just gonna go back to what hasn't worked the next game. It comes off as the coaching staff do not have a clue what to do, or the players have too much of a say.
- The last few games we have cycled Jarry and Ned every other game. Because of the schedule but I would like the pens to do this regardless. The way Boston does. Jarry plays better with more rest and Ned has been solid. Just have Ned start next game please and keep rotating.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Unbeliever wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:14 am Living in Sweden I usually have to watch the games on the day after. So here is my late take.

- Not the best game the pens ever played, but not a bad one either. After two losses where they kind of deserved a better fate I am happy with this one.
- Acciari was on an absolute mission. Even Carter had chances when the fourth line powered like that. I hope he can build off that game and take some of that determination with him.
- I honestly don't know what their plan is with the PP. What was the point of trying the new units against Buffalo if they're just gonna go back to what hasn't worked the next game. It comes off as the coaching staff do not have a clue what to do, or the players have too much of a say.
- The last few games we have cycled Jarry and Ned every other game. Because of the schedule but I would like the pens to do this regardless. The way Boston does. Jarry plays better with more rest and Ned has been solid. Just have Ned start next game please and keep rotating.
I don't think the coaching staff has any idea how to coach and or fix this power play. Sullivan has historically said that he doesn't like to over-coach the power play and let the skilled players figure it out. Well, they aren't and haven't for years now.

It's beyond the point. If they don't want to fire Reirden, then bring in another consultant or power play coach. FSG doesn't care about spending money. The power play is costing them games. If this team had a good power play they would be firmly in the playoffs right now.

Hell, why not bring Jason Spezza down from the press box and have him tool around with the guys and work on the power play. Something needs to get fixed ASAP.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:09 pm Last night I attended my first in-person game since 1994 (yeah, 29 years :shock: ). I was a season ticket holder from 1986-1994, but after that life, kids, and expenses got in the way. It was quite an experience. Some thoughts from last night:
  • Parked about half mile away and walked to PPG Paints Arena, but I didn't see the trumpet guy (probably only old-timers will laugh). :lol:
  • This was my first time in the building. We sat in the very next to last row of seats - altitude required oxygen masks. :wink:
  • Tons of Leaf fans in our section and seemed to be everywhere. They were polite, well behaved, and very enthusiastic. Chants of "Go, Leafs, go!" frequently drowned out the Pens fans. Sat next to a father from Ontario who told us that Leaf ticket prices were much more expensive than coming here. :shock:
  • Throughout the game (from the row behind me), I was treated to the typical yinzer lady Penguin fan - older, badly dyed orange hair, and screetchy whiskey-tenor voice airing her uninformed opinions about the players' games. Could have been much worse, though. I could be married to her! :shock: :lol:
  • PPG Paints Arena is dominated by the jumbo-tron and sound / light systems. It's absolutely huge (and necessary because you are so much further away from the ice). We also noticed the constant music / noise. Not really much quiet time or time to process things. Begs the question: Is the national ADHD epidemic caused by this constant stimulation or does it require these types of non-stop arena activities? Anyway, I was reminded of a 2019 Wheeling Nailers game I attended with some old Boy Scout buddies. The in-arena MC / cheerleader was important; he distracted people from the absolutely awful hockey being played. There might be some of that going on here. :roll:
  • The defense looked awful. We seemed to play a lot of the game in our own end. I'm not sure how the personnel changes have helped there.
  • Jarry faced a lot of shots, and there were always a couple of Leafs screening him. He didn't play badly given the poor defense, but there was a lot of desperate flopping around. At times, he looked like a fish at Wholeys. :scared:
  • As someone previously noted, the Pens are barely a .500 team. They need a change and while firing the coaching staff might not fix everything, it would be a start. The same old tactics aren't working.
  • PP1 was, as usual, a passing clinic. And as usual, it went 0 for the game. Splitting Malkin and Crosby to separate PP units was short-lived, apparently, because they were back on PP1.
  • That being said, Malkin looked strong in 5v5 situations. Acciari played very well and was a real stand-out. :thumb:
  • The GWG by Captain Morg, er Erik Karlsson (he does bear a resemblance) was an absolute laser. Wow! :fist:
All in all, a wonderful experience. I'm glad I did get to the "new" building. And that the Pens grabbed an important 2 points.
The "constant music/noise" is something I've mentioned a few times, I ****ing hate it....That statement kind of goes against my personality (I love loud music), but I can't take it there for some reason....Might not even be the music as much as the PA announcer. I'm sure it would be near impossible to find someone that likes the "new" guy more than Barbero, but the guy at PPG makes me wanna leave. I find it embarrassing everytime he yells "get on your feet" for the Power Play, or whatever it is that he says.

I am 46 and refuse to believe this is just me getting old. I go to plenty of other sporting events and have no issues with the noise.

Also, I travel to Toronto quite a bit, and it's definitely cheaper to come here (or virtually anywhere) for a game.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Do you hate Iceburgh and his air horn and drum too?
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:57 pm Do you hate Iceburgh and his air horn and drum too?
Yes. Ironically I worked with the guys brother and told him to knock that **** off years ago.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Try going to Golden knights game in Las Vegas... it's like a goddamn slot machine on ice.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Antonio wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 pm Try going to Golden knights game in Las Vegas... it's like a goddamn slot machine on ice.
Florida has twice the mascot nonsense, with Stanley C Panther and Viktor E Rat. :face:

stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:07 pm
Badger Bob wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:57 pm Do you hate Iceburgh and his air horn and drum too?
Yes. Ironically I worked with the guys brother and told him to knock that **** off years ago.
How's that working out ? :roll:

I stopped wearing my hearing aids to games. It's bad enough to listen to it normally, but add aids, and it's a total disaster on the ears.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Didn't the WSH Capitals do that stupid air horn thing before the Pens? If that's true, it's even more annoying to know we stole that from the Capitals.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:35 pm .

The "constant music/noise" is something I've mentioned a few times, I ****ing hate it....That statement kind of goes against my personality (I love loud music), but I can't take it there for some reason....Might not even be the music as much as the PA announcer. I'm sure it would be near impossible to find someone that likes the "new" guy more than Barbero, but the guy at PPG makes me wanna leave. I find it embarrassing everytime he yells "get on your feet" for the Power Play, or whatever it is that he says.

I am 46 and refuse to believe this is just me getting old. I go to plenty of other sporting events and have no issues with the noise.

Also, I travel to Toronto quite a bit, and it's definitely cheaper to come here (or virtually anywhere) for a game.
I have to agree with you, especially regarding the PA announcer. Barbero was an awesome announcer. As long as we're dredging up memories, Vince Lasheid was a superb organist; he really knew how to fire up the crowd. His little intro, improvisational riffs for various players (usually plays on their names) were pretty cool, too. A lost art, for sure.

I do recall taking in a Pens game against the Craps in Landover, MD (that horrible saddledome in the 80s) and they had a lot of glitz, and rah-rah, and constant noise level assaults on the crowd. Sad to think we're descending to that level. We've always had a team to cheer for, unlike them, who simply must be entertained.

Iceburgh's OK. But the Rat-Throwers? Grrrr :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

stonewizard51 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:29 am
How's that working out ? :roll:

I stopped wearing my hearing aids to games. It's bad enough to listen to it normally, but add aids, and it's a total disaster on the ears.
Never a good thing to add Aids. :shock: