TRADE BAIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Bo_Pens

TRADE BAIT

Post by Bo_Pens »

If we are going to trade to really have a run this year do we have to offer that someone else might actually want in the molds of a whalers trade in 1991. We gave up two great players then, got two back. The rest is history.

Assuming you keep the Letang, Crosby, Malkin and Karlsson. What does this leave that someone would really want to, in their mind make them better too.

Here are my four

JARRY
RUST
GUENTZEL
JOSEPH

Theoretically giving up a ton, but if you watch week in week out, you can get back younger, stronger, better for less. Guentzel the exception maybe.

The only stat that really looks great for us is GA, kind of keeps us in every game. We Co just don’t look dangerous consistently.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: TRADE BAIT

Post by Badger Bob »

Keep in mind that Rust has a No Move Clause. Guentzel and Jarry both have Modified No Trade Clauses (12 team no trade list). Joseph is the only one that doesn't have any kind of limiting trade clause. Unless players agree to be moved, the Pens hands are tied with many players on their rosters. So it's easy to toss bigger names out there, but the trade/movement clauses really get in the way. At least they have more options with Jarry and Jake than they do with Rust.
Last edited by Badger Bob on Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Sign Ned to a long-term contract, then trade Jarry and P.O. Joseph to the Wild for Matt Boldy, Brock Faber, and Fleury. We unload Jarry's contract and Flower gets to wear the black and gold one last time.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Tico Rick wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:08 pm Sign Ned to a long-term contract, then trade Jarry and P.O. Joseph to the Wild for Matt Boldy, Brock Faber, and Fleury. We unload Jarry's contract and Flower gets to wear the black and gold one last time.

Wild would never do that.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

If we're trading stuff, it'll be small potato I think.

Smith heading out in a hockey trade.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:38 pm If we're trading stuff, it'll be small potato I think.

Smith heading out in a hockey trade.
I agree. I think it's going to be a pretty quiet deadline, as long as we're in playoff contention. Maybe Lybushkin type of D man to play bottom pair, but I don't expect anything major.
Bo_Pens

Post by Bo_Pens »

I think money and opportunity makes no trade clauses evaporate…. Maybe. We all know they if we only make minor changes, no cup for this group. Need some young determined skillful hard guys. Look at Connor, because he skates hard he looks great, also skating so hard you just keep getting better, fighting for time and opportunity. Need another from WBS
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I would think Carter will definitely be dealt. He is a UFA this summer and teams are always looking for a Veteran for the playoffs.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:49 pm I would think Carter will definitely be dealt. He is a UFA this summer and teams are always looking for a Veteran for the playoffs.
Kinda like the Pens? :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I think Smith a a guarantee move at this point. Too much chatter about him not fitting in and possibly being unhappy here.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:37 pm I think Smith a a guarantee move at this point. Too much chatter about him not fitting in and possibly being unhappy here.
And I'm sure his recent demotion to the 3rd line will just further exacerbate his unhappiness here (if the rumors are to be believed).
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Tico Rick wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:08 pm Sign Ned to a long-term contract, then trade Jarry and P.O. Joseph to the Wild for Matt Boldy, Brock Faber, and Fleury. We unload Jarry's contract and Flower gets to wear the black and gold one last time.
I'm OK with almost all of this. I am content to have Flower come back when his playing days are over. Give him a 1-day contract and retire his number.

I am all in on trading Jarry and P.O. Joseph. Even the dumb-a** Flyer announcers were saying how Jarry plays at one level during the season and another during the playoffs. Let's move him at the deadline on the basis of his in-season play, and maybe snooker some other GM. POJ? maybe a bag of pucks.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:57 pm Here is some discussion fodder: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sp ... -to-watch/
Based on some of the names here, and the chatter going around this board and others, I could see something like (*skirting cap considerations for the moment):
  • Reilly Smith to Carolina for Bunting. (We get younger, slightly cheaper and Dubas knows the player well)
  • POJ to San Jose for Anthony DuClair w/salary retained. (We need more pop up front, and DuClair could play effectively in the top 9, SJ wants young, inexpensive players with promise, and Dubas is comfortable dealing with Grier – plus, if he doesn't pan out, he's off the books after the season)
  • Ty Smith to Anaheim for Ilya Lyubushkin and a 6th round pick. (Dubas traded for him once...& Ilya effectively replaces Ruhwedel for the playoffs)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:33 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:57 pm Here is some discussion fodder: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sp ... -to-watch/
Based on some of the names here, and the chatter going around this board and others, I could see something like (*skirting cap considerations for the moment):
  • Reilly Smith to Carolina for Bunting. (We get younger, slightly cheaper and Dubas knows the player well)
  • POJ to San Jose for Anthony DuClair w/salary retained. (We need more pop up front, and DuClair could play effectively in the top 9, SJ wants young, inexpensive players with promise, and Dubas is comfortable dealing with Grier – plus, if he doesn't pan out, he's off the books after the season)
  • Ty Smith to Anaheim for Ilya Lyubushkin and a 6th round pick. (Dubas traded for him once...& Ilya effectively replaces Ruhwedel for the playoffs)
Right now, Smith for Bunting seems like it has some legs. Bunting reportedly had been knocked down to 3rd line duty as well in Carolina. So, this is a trade I could see where both teams go for a swap hoping the new player is a better fit. My backup trade would be Smith and a pick/prospect for Vatrano.

Duclair and Lyubushkin would be good adds, but I think they'd probably want some Ryan Graves insurance on the LD before forcing Ruhwedel out of the lineup.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:23 pm POJ? maybe a bag of pucks.
People were saying this same thing about Pettersson a couple of years ago...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Guinness wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:22 pm
Isn't it funny? Now, they can't live without Pettersson. POJ is good player. He's young, he will struggle from time to time. That said, I'm ok with trading him it it makes the team bnetter.

BTW- is this the same Guinness I haven't seen around here for years?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Guinness wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:22 pm
I’d be happy to be wrong. I just would like to see him develop a bit quicker.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:49 pm I would think Carter will definitely be dealt. He is a UFA this summer and teams are always looking for a Veteran for the playoffs.
So Dubas has a magical key to dispel Carter's NMC? Or is Carter such a team guy that he will waive it to help the team out (why would he have wanted it in the first place)? Carter is here until season end, and then he will most likely retire.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:00 pm
Right now, Smith for Bunting seems like it has some legs. Bunting reportedly had been knocked down to 3rd line duty as well in Carolina. So, this is a trade I could see where both teams go for a swap hoping the new player is a better fit. My backup trade would be Smith and a pick/prospect for Vatrano.

Duclair and Lyubushkin would be good adds, but I think they'd probably want some Ryan Graves insurance on the LD before forcing Ruhwedel out of the lineup.
Bunting has never been on the 3rd line in Carolina, that's there checking line of Martinook-Staal-Fast and Bunting is too weak defensively for a spot there. He played in the top-6 until Svechnikov returned from injury and has been on the 4th line for a few weeks. Still on PP#1.

When everyone is healthy, there isn't a spot for Smith either. He's not going to replace any of the top-6 who are all doing well so Smith would slot into the 4th line too.

I think Carolina would move Bunting, but for a backup goaltender, not a 20-25 goal scoring forward which Bunting already is.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

brwi wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:15 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:00 pm

Bunting has never been on the 3rd line in Carolina, that's there checking line of Martinook-Staal-Fast and Bunting is too weak defensively for a spot there. He played in the top-6 until Svechnikov returned from injury and has been on the 4th line for a few weeks. Still on PP#1.

When everyone is healthy, there isn't a spot for Smith either. He's not going to replace any of the top-6 who are all doing well so Smith would slot into the 4th line too.

I think Carolina would move Bunting, but for a backup goaltender, not a 20-25 goal scoring forward which Bunting already is.
Thanks. Now that you say that, I believe what I read was Bunting was dropped into the bottom 6, not specifically 3rd line. I don't know if there is a match there in terms of backup goalie, since Carolina already had Nedeljkovic in the past
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

Curious about these talks of Smith not fitting in, unhappy, etc. I haven't seen that anywhere but on the board. Just curious of where this stemmed from? Not discounting it, just curious if I missed something.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DeHaven162 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:31 am Curious about these talks of Smith not fitting in, unhappy, etc. I haven't seen that anywhere but on the board. Just curious of where this stemmed from? Not discounting it, just curious if I missed something.
I think someone heard Madden say it on his radio show. Who knows if there is any validity to it...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:59 am
DeHaven162 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:31 am Curious about these talks of Smith not fitting in, unhappy, etc. I haven't seen that anywhere but on the board. Just curious of where this stemmed from? Not discounting it, just curious if I missed something.
I think someone heard Madden say it on his radio show. Who knows if there is any validity to it...
Pretty sure Rossi made passing mention of it in an Athletic article as well.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Before any trade occurs we need to find a new Head Coach. The new coach will have his own style and will need to have a say in what kind of players we are looking for. So on that note: FIRE SULLY!!!