TRADE BAIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TRADE BAIT

Post by Guinness »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:41 pm
Guinness wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:22 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:23 pm POJ? maybe a bag of pucks.
People were saying this same thing about Pettersson a couple of years ago...
Isn't it funny? Now, they can't live without Pettersson. POJ is good player. He's young, he will struggle from time to time. That said, I'm ok with trading him it it makes the team bnetter.

BTW- is this the same Guinness I haven't seen around here for years?
Fans are fickle. It's like every time a young defenseman isn't Cale Makar, they're worthless. However I agree with you - yes, if the move makes the team better you do it.

Yes indeed. The very same. :)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:44 pm
Guinness wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:22 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:23 pm POJ? maybe a bag of pucks.
People were saying this same thing about Pettersson a couple of years ago...
I’d be happy to be wrong. I just would like to see him develop a bit quicker.
Sure. Everyone would. It's just a fairly well known adage that most young defensemen take quite a while to develop and become steady contributors outside of the top-tier blue chip defenders.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Trevor Zegras of Anaheim is rumored to be on the trade block. He's had some injuries and having a down year, but he's 22, signed for 2 more seasons at 5.75M and an RFA when that expires. From the hockey card sites, Zegras is a good offensive player, but his defense is below par.

If the Penguins are in danger of losing Guentzel AND wanted any chance to retool on the fly, they should be all over Zegras. BUT...we know they won't be.
Spoiler:
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Bo_Pens wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:43 pm If we are going to trade to really have a run this year do we have to offer that someone else might actually want in the molds of a whalers trade in 1991. We gave up two great players then, got two back. The rest is history.

Assuming you keep the Letang, Crosby, Malkin and Karlsson. What does this leave that someone would really want to, in their mind make them better too.

Here are my four

JARRY
RUST
GUENTZEL
JOSEPH

Theoretically giving up a ton, but if you watch week in week out, you can get back younger, stronger, better for less. Guentzel the exception maybe.

The only stat that really looks great for us is GA, kind of keeps us in every game. We Co just don’t look dangerous consistently.
Cullen was a top 5 scorer in the league at the time of the trade and Zalapski was looked at as a young stud Dman.

Guentz and Rust would bring something decent. Jarry and Joseph...well, I mean, they get bashed around here then people expect to get some sort of return for them on the market.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Do you really think Anaheim wants a guy, Guentzel, that's seven years older than Zegras, and has the potential to cost 2 -2.5 million more per season? My guess the lack of interest would be from the Ducks side and not the Penguins. I think you made the comment about Vatrano from the Ducks. He would be a more reasonable acquisition if they wanted to move on from Smith.
Last edited by pens_CT on Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:03 pm
Bo_Pens wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:43 pm If we are going to trade to really have a run this year do we have to offer that someone else might actually want in the molds of a whalers trade in 1991. We gave up two great players then, got two back. The rest is history.

Assuming you keep the Letang, Crosby, Malkin and Karlsson. What does this leave that someone would really want to, in their mind make them better too.

Here are my four

JARRY
RUST
GUENTZEL
JOSEPH

Theoretically giving up a ton, but if you watch week in week out, you can get back younger, stronger, better for less. Guentzel the exception maybe.

The only stat that really looks great for us is GA, kind of keeps us in every game. We Co just don’t look dangerous consistently.
Cullen was a top 5 scorer in the league at the time of the trade and Zalapski was looked at as a young stud Dman.

Guentz and Rust would bring something decent. Jarry and Joseph...well, I mean, they get bashed around here then people expect to get some sort of return for them on the market.

That trade (Cullen + Zalapski) was long before there was a salary cap. Unless you're trading with a bottom dweller who has a ton of cap space any deal has to be almost dollar to dollar equal in money in order to make a deal. Obviously that makes it much harder to make significant trades, unless you're getting/giving a guy that's going to be a UFA and you're not planning on re-signing him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:04 pm Do you really think Anaheim wants a guy, Guentzel, that's seven years older than Zegras, and has the potential to cost 2 -2.5 million more per season? My guess the lack of interest would be from the Ducks side and not the Penguins. I think you made the comment about Vatrano from the Ducks. He would be a more reasonable acquisition if they wanted to move on from Smith.
The Penguins don't necessarily have to trade Guentzel for Zegras. Let's say they trade Guentzel to Arizona for a 1st, Jack McBain, and Conor Geekie. Then the Penguins take that 1st and Geekie and flip it to Anaheim for Zegras.

If they move Guentzel, they should have the ability to use some of those assets to go after someone like Zegras.

I'd take a 22 year old with back to back 23 goal, 60+ seasons every day of the week over a top 5 overall draft pick. You know what you have in Zegras, whereas you don't know if you are getting the next Alexander Daigle or Nail Yakupov with your lottery pick.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:00 pm
pens_CT wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:04 pm Do you really think Anaheim wants a guy, Guentzel, that's seven years older than Zegras, and has the potential to cost 2 -2.5 million more per season? My guess the lack of interest would be from the Ducks side and not the Penguins. I think you made the comment about Vatrano from the Ducks. He would be a more reasonable acquisition if they wanted to move on from Smith.
The Penguins don't necessarily have to trade Guentzel for Zegras. Let's say they trade Guentzel to Arizona for a 1st, Jack McBain, and Conor Geekie. Then the Penguins take that 1st and Geekie and flip it to Anaheim for Zegras.

If they move Guentzel, they should have the ability to use some of those assets to go after someone like Zegras.

I'd take a 22 year old with back to back 23 goal, 60+ seasons every day of the week over a top 5 overall draft pick. You know what you have in Zegras, whereas you don't know if you are getting the next Alexander Daigle or Nail Yakupov with your lottery pick.
Great point. I've heard whispers about Zegras being available, but I'm puzzled as to why Anaheim would want to move on from him.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:38 pm If we're trading stuff, it'll be small potato I think.

Smith heading out in a hockey trade.
Reading the Athletic's updated trade board. Some ideas:
https://theathletic.com/5208791/2024/01 ... markstrom/

Smith is on the list (as is Jake) - Not sure of Smith's NTC and he has 1 year remaining, but just spittin' here...

Smith ($5m) for Jordan Eberle (5.5m)
Send Smith the the Vegas rivals! only half a mil difference and Eberle is UFA after the season

Smith for Monahan ($1.9)
Would be a dream due to Monahan's super low cap hit and he is UFA after the season

Smith for Chris Tanev ($4.5) defense
Not sure this would work for Calgary, Tanev UFA after season

Smith+ for Trevor Zegas ($5.5m)
Instead of using Jake, Zegras signed through 2026

DuClair is another option with a $3mil cap hit + UFA at season's end, but I feel like he is going for a draft pick - 2nd or 3rd - not that the other UFAs could that cheap as well but would be nice to just rid the Pens of Smith's cap hit.