Game 44 vs. Arizona - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Game 44 vs. Arizona - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by IntangibleBeer »

• The smoldering dumpster fire that was the Penguins season has just become a Dresden-like firestorm. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
  • It's time for a new coaching staff - they've totally lost the room. Only a few skaters showed up for last night's game.
  • From what I can see, the team's level of play and competitiveness continues to spiral downward. With a few notable exceptions, I don't think they care.
  • Malkin and Letang needed to (at least) sit a shift for their careless play.
  • Puustinen's lack of ice time is baffling. Getzoff and Armstrong indicated that he had gone ice cold. Isn't that what happens when you sit (for no reason)?
  • Last night, a couple folks said Tocchet's contribution to winning the last 2 cups was not well recognized. I agree 1000% with this. He had a much bigger part than has been acknowledged.
  • It seems that almost all the ex-Penguins we've faced recently have had strong games against us. That's not luck.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Game 44 vs. Arizona - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by Badger Bob »

If GMKD can't see the problem, he needs new glasses.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Even our pro Pens studio analyst questioned their effort. Rupp called them "lackadaisical."

I don't know how a team comes out with that feeble effort after a 3rd period collapse the previous game.

Feels like a rock bottom type of game where something comes from it. Either a trade or a firing. So far neither have happened.

Sullivan has no answers and coddles the veterans too much to have anything change. Carter should have been benched after that horrible effort on the 1st goal. Geno should have been benched for a shift or two after that brain-fart own-goal against.

Nothing changes. SOS.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Just spit balling here, but I wonder if GMKD is waiting for Keefe to get canned in Toronto before a coaching change is made? I know it sounds crazy, and it may be, but when the team stinks, I think everyone tends to go down the rabbit hole trying to come up with ideas/solutions.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I agree with Yohe - this loss (and road trip overall) may have just crushed any dreams this team came into the season with. The next 2 games will be very telling. I feel like Dubas may be getting ready to deal.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:00 pm Even our pro Pens studio analyst questioned their effort. Rupp called them "lackadaisical."

I don't know how a team comes out with that feeble effort after a 3rd period collapse the previous game.

Feels like a rock bottom type of game where something comes from it. Either a trade or a firing. So far neither have happened.

Sullivan has no answers and coddles the veterans too much to have anything change. Carter should have been benched after that horrible effort on the 1st goal. Geno should have been benched for a shift or two after that brain-fart own-goal against.

Nothing changes. SOS.
A bold statement would be to scratch Malkin for the next game. We all know that won't happen.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:56 pm If GMKD can't see the problem, he needs new glasses.
Or he's overrated, but I think he's being patient since first year in Pittsburgh. I think he'll be patient until he's not then we'll see a ton of changes.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:32 pm
Badger Bob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:56 pm If GMKD can't see the problem, he needs new glasses.
Or he's overrated, but I think he's being patient since first year in Pittsburgh. I think he'll be patient until he's not then we'll see a ton of changes.
On one hand, my gut says maybe FSG is holding some strings limiting what can be done. On the other hand, they paid Dubas a lot of money for his expertise, and if they are going to put limits and rules on him, they aren't going to get their money's worth.

Sell what you can. Stock up on a bunch of picks, and get a few higher rated prospects. Use a combination of those picks/prospects and UFA to retool the team for the next 1-2 years.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I think Dubas has to be pretty frustrated in what the team has gotten out of some of the key moves he made. Ryan Graves has been a disaster. I'm sure he expected a good solid top 4 D-man out of him. EK has not produced as expected. Reilly Smith has not produced except for early on and has seemed lost and disinterested ever since. The re-signing of Rakell has been disappointing. IMO, Dubas is not going to put the blame on himself for these performances. He's going to look at the coaching staff as the main reason. I would imagine that there has been many office discussions between Dubas and Sullivan and they have not gone well. Sullivan is too bull headed to change or admit that he's been wrong. I would also think Dubas really wants to have someone in the HC position that he hired and not some holdover from glory days gone by.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:15 pm I think Dubas has to be pretty frustrated in what the team has gotten out of some of the key moves he made. Ryan Graves has been a disaster. I'm sure he expected a good solid top 4 D-man out of him. EK has not produced as expected. Reilly Smith has not produced except for early on and has seemed lost and disinterested ever since. The re-signing of Rakell has been disappointing. IMO, Dubas is not going to put the blame on himself for these performances. He's going to look at the coaching staff as the main reason. I would imagine that there has been many office discussions between Dubas and Sullivan and they have not gone well. Sullivan is too bull headed to change or admit that he's been wrong. I would also think Dubas really wants to have someone in the HC position that he hired and not some holdover from glory days gone by.
100%. FSG gives Dubas the keys to the castle and pays him as such. I really don't think they can expect him to just keep a holdover head coach for too much longer. I get FSG has to pay Sully either way (until someone hires him), that's the cost of doing business. Happens all the time.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Maybe getting them far away from sunshine and warm golf courses will do wonders...

Or, maybe not.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:21 pm
KG wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:00 pm :D
Even our pro Pens studio analyst questioned their effort. Rupp called them "lackadaisical."

Nothing changes. SOS.
A bold statement would be to scratch Malkin for the next game. We all know that won't happen.
LMAO….you are FUNNY! Sully ruling with an iron fist! that’s great! :D
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:15 pm I think Dubas has to be pretty frustrated in what the team has gotten out of some of the key moves he made. Ryan Graves has been a disaster. I'm sure he expected a good solid top 4 D-man out of him. EK has not produced as expected. Reilly Smith has not produced except for early on and has seemed lost and disinterested ever since. The re-signing of Rakell has been disappointing. IMO, Dubas is not going to put the blame on himself for these performances. He's going to look at the coaching staff as the main reason. I would imagine that there has been many office discussions between Dubas and Sullivan and they have not gone well. Sullivan is too bull headed to change or admit that he's been wrong. I would also think Dubas really wants to have someone in the HC position that he hired and not some holdover from glory days gone by.
Dubas isn't going to put the blame on himself, nor should he. He walked into a cap-strapped team with a ton of dead weight and did what he could in the limited amount of offseasoni and money that he had. Yeah, some of his moves haven't worked out, but I don't particularly remember any deals he made last summer that were in any way head-scratchers. Graves has been a disappointment - for sure - but at the time the acquisition was widely viewed as a positive improvement of the defensive/physical element of the blueliners.

I've really liked Sullivan over the years of his tenure, but when you sign players like Graves and trade for Erik Karlsson and they underperform, the blame for that doesn't land at the feet of the GM; it's either the players themselves, or the coaching staff.

We're fortunate that Sid seems to be ageless so far. How long that lasts... who knows? I can easily see him performing like this for another 2-3 years... but then again, the wheels could fall off at any time. Or (please God no) if an injury turns up... well, you know... Otherwise, in my view, the "window" is open as long as Sid is performing like he is, assuming the GM can build around him.

My impression of Dubas since I've been paying attention to him (early in his tenure in TOR and of course his time in PGH) is that he is sharp, calculating and a planner. He said a month or so ago that he was going to evaluate the team to the break, and then make his decisions about how to move forward. I personally am looking forward to what he decides to do.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

When the pre game announcers say “Don’t take this team too lightly” it really makes me wonder about the level of denial in that group too. I mean what kind of record does the team have to actually look at a team like the Coyotes and assume they cannot take them lightly? The level of denial is creepy. It baffles me.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Sullivans comment about the players have to know there’s no goalie really baffles me. Are talking NHL or Peewee hockey? What a stupid comment.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

They have no heart, no desire, no energy, Rinse, repeat.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Nah, they have it half the time, hence them being a .500 team.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:29 pm Sullivans comment about the players have to know there’s no goalie really baffles me. Are talking NHL or Peewee hockey? What a stupid comment.
I had the same thought. "Heightened awareness"?! For god's sake, these are professionals at the highest level, and with Malkin and Letang we're not talking scrubs either.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:27 am Image
I don't understand why you're bringing Tom Wilson into this conversation? :wink:
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:11 am I thought this was Tom Wilson:

https://www.benstonium.com/2018/04/wilson_hits_dumo/
He has many forms...
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

True. All of them are forms of a garbage receptacle. Or perhaps forms of excrement.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Personally, I think this team could use a little Tom Wilson
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Pitts wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:42 pm Personally, I think this team could use a little Tom Wilson
Well, I'd prefer the team have a little Patric Horqvist, but YMMV. :wink: