Game 44 vs. Arizona - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Game 44 vs. Arizona - Thoughts from the Morning After

Post by Pitts »

Guinness wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:50 pm
Pitts wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:42 pm Personally, I think this team could use a little Tom Wilson
Well, I'd prefer the team have a little Patric Horqvist, but YMMV. :wink:
Touche - Point stands - someone who can mix it up, play physical and go to the net. And have a little heart.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Pitts wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:55 pm
Guinness wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:50 pm
Pitts wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:42 pm Personally, I think this team could use a little Tom Wilson
Well, I'd prefer the team have a little Patric Horqvist, but YMMV. :wink:
Touche - Point stands - someone who can mix it up, play physical and go to the net. And have a little heart.
:thumb:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

I agree. I don't like him as a Cap but would probably like him as a Pen. He would bring much needed grit.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

KBone wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:41 pm Nah, they have it half the time, hence them being a .500 team.
True.
Half the time in regular season and none of the time in the playoffs for 5+ years.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

offsides wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:11 pm
I agree. I don't like him as a Cap but would probably like him as a Pen. He would bring much needed grit.
I'd take his grit, but not his dirt.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Grumblings that the Arizona experiment could soon be over. Wonder what happened first, Yotes move or Sullivan is fired?
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BONVIE »

Why can't we get a deal like this?

The Edmonton Oilers announced Monday that they have signed forward Corey Perry to a one-year contract with an average annual value of $775,000.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

BONVIE wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:48 pm Why can't we get a deal like this?

The Edmonton Oilers announced Monday that they have signed forward Corey Perry to a one-year contract with an average annual value of $775,000.
Eh, another old, worn out retread. He messed up Chicago...why? Don't need that baggage. We already have an old washed up Carter.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:45 pm Grumblings that the Arizona experiment could soon be over. Wonder what happened first, Yotes move or Sullivan is fired?
I'd much rather see Arizona move than bringing in any more expansion teams. The smallest talent pool of any major league sport doesn't need to add more teams to water down lineups.

And I'd rather see Sullivan go before an Yotes move.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:50 am
DelPen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:45 pm Grumblings that the Arizona experiment could soon be over. Wonder what happened first, Yotes move or Sullivan is fired?
I'd much rather see Arizona move than bringing in any more expansion teams. The smallest talent pool of any major league sport doesn't need to add more teams to water down lineups.

And I'd rather see Sullivan go before an Yotes move.
Well owner's of the Utah Jazz have officially submitted an expansion request with an arena that could be played ASAP.

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The Delta Center is horrible for hockey: https://www.sltrib.com/resizer/VcPvP3vu ... G6LN6M.JPG

But I guess 14,000 is better than ASU’s multi purpose arena.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

It amazes me why anyone outside the Coyotes general area would be concerned about the Arena size or fan base.

I see it as a person looking into the backyard of a neighbor and making comments about their pool being too small and the yard doesn't have enough tiki torches to really enjoy the space.

Nothing personal but I like having an option to view live hockey when I am in town.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:47 pm It amazes me why anyone outside the Coyotes general area would be concerned about the Arena size or fan base.

I see it as a person looking into the backyard of a neighbor and making comments about their pool being too small and the yard doesn't have enough tiki torches to really enjoy the space.

Nothing personal but I like having an option to view live hockey when I am in town.
Fan base...no reason to criticize. Arena, lots of reason to criticize. The first of which is a 5000-6000 seat venue pulls in 1/3 of the gate receipt, which ultimately impacts HRR, which impacts the cap.

The other myriad of reasons is that, hockey in Arizona has failed a half-dozen times over. The NHL owned the team, I believe they've been kicked out of two different arenas, they seemed to become an "NHL loophole" dumping ground at times for dumping bad contracts.

I think those are the issue most fans have and why they want to see the team go elsewhere.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPF, I appreciate your opinions, thoughts and time spent constructing comments here. Having said that...

Having been a child of the sun my entire life, my perspective is different than others not from the Southwest. I enjoyed watching the Phoenix Roadrunners in the late 80's at America West Arena. Talk about a horrible place to watch a game. When the Coyotes arrived, both teams competed for a fan base in the desert. Roadrunners lost their fanbase.

The Coyotes (franchise) have always been a pawn in Maricopa politics. A proposed Arena deal to be built in south Scottsdale (where it should have been built) fell through due to politics. Next, they moved west to a community who had limited experience with hockey, to play in an Arena too large to generate a live crowd. And, not at IHL Roadrunner ticket prices, but NHL Coyotes ticket prices. Soccer rules in Glendale...

I don't fault the fans one bit. Hockey fans are from the east side. They still are.

Now, in terms of revenue sharing... Name one team ( outside of the Coyotes, which I have listed their issues above) that is below the selling price of said team's purchase price. NHL revenues are up, current franchise values are up, and the price for new franchise prices are up.

When ownership of any of the existing franchises ***** and complain they can't cover player expenses, then I will be concerned about the Coyotes, and where they play.

Until then, my neighbors pool and tiki torch count is none of my business.