2024 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

2024 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker

Post by FLPensFan »

Putting this up now, as a couple of trades have gone through recently, and it sounds like there is another in the works. This is Penguins related, as some of these trades could be potential Penguins targets, or could alter potential landing spots for Guentzel if he is moved.

We had the Elias Lindholm deal a few days ago.

Today, it appears that Winnipeg is about to acquire Sean Monahan from Montreal. No details as of yet, nor is it finalized.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker

Post by FLPensFan »

Friedman reporting Monahan to the Jets (no salary retention) for a 1st round pick and a conditional pick. :shock:
Conditional pick is a 3rd rounder in 2027 if Winnipeg wins the Cup this year. 1st rounder is 2024.

Quite a steep price if you ask me.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Things leaning towards getting a pretty good potential return on Jake if he goes on the block...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:19 am Friedman reporting Monahan to the Jets (no salary retention) for a 1st round pick and a conditional pick. :shock:
Conditional pick is a 3rd rounder in 2027 if Winnipeg wins the Cup this year. 1st rounder is 2024.

Yeah Winnipeg paid a premium to respond to the Canucks trade. West is going to be a bear to get out of. Canucks, Oilers, Knights, Avs, Stars, Jets all look like contenders.

Good for Winnipeg for getting the next best center available. They're hoping the pick will be #32 this year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

LA just fired their head coach. Maybe they'll be aggressive and make a strong offer for Jake. They definitely have pieces.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:19 am Friedman reporting Monahan to the Jets (no salary retention) for a 1st round pick and a conditional pick. :shock:

We could probably get two 2nd round picks for Eller with the lack of centers available this deadline.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:33 am Things leaning towards getting a pretty good potential return on Jake if he goes on the block...
If the Pens are serious about turning this team around, they have more than just Jake as an asset that could return big things. If I am giving up on the season, then I am trading away the following:

Jake
Carter
Eller
Smith
Rakell
Acciari
Rust

MP
EK
Graves
POJ

Ned

I was suspect Jake, MP, EK are all bringing back a 1st ++
That would help a lot this summer.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:11 pm LA just fired their head coach. Maybe they'll be aggressive and make a strong offer for Jake. They definitely have pieces.
Holy **** you can fire a coach?
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:46 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:33 am Things leaning towards getting a pretty good potential return on Jake if he goes on the block...
If the Pens are serious about turning this team around, they have more than just Jake as an asset that could return big things. If I am giving up on the season, then I am trading away the following:

Jake [he is the big domino]
Carter [why not? he's gone in a few months anyway]
Eller [this is very realistic if they give up on the season]
Smith [this is the most likely, I'm sure they could recoup the 3rd rounder]
Rakell [based on his contract and play this year, I wonder what other teams would give up?]
Acciari [a 4th rounder?]
Rust [I don't think this happens]

MP [unless it's a 1st rounder, I hold onto him]
EK
Graves [hard to move with his contract, unless you take back a similar player]
POJ [sure, but what's his value now? a 3rd rounder in 2025?]

Ned [I resign him for another 2-3 yrs.]

I was suspect Jake, MP, EK are all bringing back a 1st ++
That would help a lot this summer.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:06 pm
KG wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:11 pm LA just fired their head coach. Maybe they'll be aggressive and make a strong offer for Jake. They definitely have pieces.
Holy **** you can fire a coach?
Even one with a winning record? The Kings are 23-15-10, 56 points....5 more points than the Penguins.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Coaching in Pittsburgh guarantees lifetime immunity. Results be damned!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

It's not gonna happen people! Jeez....
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Everyone changing coaches, if they see they are going into wrong direction -- We will be stuck with Sullivan for 10years, even if 7 or 8 years wont go past 1st round of playoffs or even make it to playoffs LOL! With this weird management its possible.. Worst case scenario, Dubas leaves Pens, because his hands are actually tied, then in 2025/26 Sullivan takes over as GM :lol: :face:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Vegas staff writers jumping on the "Bring back Smith" wagon: https://theathletic.com/5250222/2024/02 ... n-knights/
Nothing really of significance in the article other than the cap gymnastics that would be needed, such as a 3rd team eating some salary on behalf of Vegas. Nothing of a return for the Pens in a Smith deal to Vegas.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Pens4Life wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:37 am Everyone changing coaches, if they see they are going into wrong direction -- We will be stuck with Sullivan for 10years, even if 7 or 8 years wont go past 1st round of playoffs or even make it to playoffs LOL! With this weird management its possible.. Worst case scenario, Dubas leaves Pens, because his hands are actually tied, then in 2025/26 Sullivan takes over as GM :lol: :face:
IMHO GMKD is handling the Sullivan situation the correct way - you don't want to come in as a new GM and up-end the coaching staff without having made a thorough evaluation of all of them, their interaction with the team, and their day-to-day performance. Dubas has been on the job for what, 8 or 9 months? I would expect a manager to come in and make his evaluation, and then allow for a period of performance to see how the staff does, and then make a decision on changes. Yeah, that means, effectively, that they will have squandered a year - IF he ends up determining that the staff needs to be replaced. But that's not on him. He was brought into this situation, and he needs to be able to assess his staff in terms of their effectiveness. Patience and thoroughness are key characteristics of good managers.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:38 am Vegas staff writers jumping on the "Bring back Smith" wagon: https://theathletic.com/5250222/2024/02 ... n-knights/
Nothing really of significance in the article other than the cap gymnastics that would be needed, such as a 3rd team eating some salary on behalf of Vegas. Nothing of a return for the Pens in a Smith deal to Vegas.
This will be a tricky deal for Vegas to do, so it seems unlikely it happens. The biggest issue is, Smith is signed through next year. So your asking someone to retain probably 2.5M for this year AND next year. That's going to be pricey for Vegas

If we were to make this deal, my preference would be to get something useful back, other than a pick. Is there a 3rd team we could wash Smith through to eat cap, and pickup a 4C. I've taken a look at Columbus, Buffalo, Chicago, Anaheim, Nashville...and I don't really see a fit.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:32 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:38 am Vegas staff writers jumping on the "Bring back Smith" wagon: https://theathletic.com/5250222/2024/02 ... n-knights/
This will be a tricky deal for Vegas to do, so it seems unlikely it happens. The biggest issue is, Smith is signed through next year. So your asking someone to retain probably 2.5M for this year AND next year. That's going to be pricey for Vegas

If we were to make this deal, my preference would be to get something useful back, other than a pick. Is there a 3rd team we could wash Smith through to eat cap, and pickup a 4C. I've taken a look at Columbus, Buffalo, Chicago, Anaheim, Nashville...and I don't really see a fit.
I posted this before, but what about Smith and a pick to Seattle:

Smith ($5m) for Jordan Eberle (5.5m)
Send Smith the the Vegas rivals! only half a mil difference and Eberle is UFA after the season

The pick would be for taking on years 2 of Smith contract, but I don't see why Seattle wouldn't be down. They will not re-sign Eberle and I think Eberle might work out nice on Malkin's wing for the "run."

Eberle walks at season end and the Pens get $5mil cap space.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:40 pm

Send Smith the the Vegas rivals! only half a mil difference and Eberle is UFA after the season

The pick would be for taking on years 2 of Smith contract, but I don't see why Seattle wouldn't be down. They will not re-sign Eberle and I think Eberle might work out nice on Malkin's wing for the "run."

I think that could work.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Lets extend that with Smith and JFC for Eberle and B.Tanev, salaries almost match and Seattle gets one contract down in offseason as well.. get us back our Turbo Tanev!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Pens4Life wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:04 pm Lets extend that with Smith and JFC for Eberle and B.Tanev, salaries almost match and Seattle gets one contract down in offseason as well.. get us back our Turbo Tanev!
JC won't agree to move to Seattle for a few months.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

I don’t believe Vegas can get Smith back with retention by anyone, Pens or any other team, within one year of his trade to the Pens. Remember Tony DeAngelo. NHL wants to prohibit trading players only to get them back at a lower cost, like money launderIng lol
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:21 pm

I don’t believe Vegas can get Smith back with retention by anyone, Pens or any other team, within one year of his trade to the Pens. Remember Tony DeAngelo. NHL wants to prohibit trading players only to get them back at a lower cost, like money launderIng lol
That is incorrect. There is currently no retention on Smith's contract, therefore, he can be traded anywhere. It would be different if Vegas traded him to us and retained salary, and then tried to get him back later. That isn't allowed. That's what happened with Carl Hagelin. The Penguins traded Hagelin to LA and retained 250K in the deal. Later Rutherford reportedly wanted to get him back, but could not because we retained salary on him.

You cannot trade a player, retain salary, then re-acquire the player under that same contract. It's viewed as cap circumvention.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is incorrect. There is currently no retention on Smith's contract, therefore, he can be traded anywhere. It would be different if Vegas traded him to us and retained salary, and then tried to get him back later. That isn't allowed. That's what happened with Carl Hagelin. The Penguins traded Hagelin to LA and retained 250K in the deal. Later Rutherford reportedly wanted to get him back, but could not because we retained salary on him.

You cannot trade a player, retain salary, then re-acquire the player under that same contract. It's viewed as cap circumvention.
[/quote]

I thought it worked both ways. Regardless of whether Vegas retained when they traded him, they can’t trade him and then take him back with retention within one year of trading him. Wasn’t that the same issue with DeAngelo trade between Flyers and Carolina? Smith can be traded back to Vegas but not with retention and the other poster’s trade deal involved Seattle retaining a portion of his salary
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Ericf wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:26 pm I thought it worked both ways. Regardless of whether Vegas retained when they traded him, they can’t trade him and then take him back with retention within one year of trading him. Wasn’t that the same issue with DeAngelo trade between Flyers and Carolina? Smith can be traded back to Vegas but not with retention and the other poster’s trade deal involved Seattle retaining a portion of his salary
I believe you are correct. That retention deal was proposed by an Athletic writer though. I'd expect they should know the rules.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I would just keep Smith and trade him at next year's deadline. Keep the assets flowing. No reason to trade him now if his value will be higher next season. Having him on the team now doesn't hurt 'our chances' any.