2024 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:44 pm I would just keep Smith and trade him at next year's deadline. Keep the assets flowing. No reason to trade him now if his value will be higher next season. Having him on the team now doesn't hurt 'our chances' any.
Could probably move him much easier for value in the off-season when teams have more cap space with contracts going off. But yeah, they shouldn't sell low. Unless he flat out demands a trade.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

More rumours about Vegas - that they could be interested in Smith's return.. Barbashev for Smith swap could easily work, salaries almost match.. Barbashev is 28yrs old,but signed for 5 more years, 5M per

I think Geno and Ivan would like to play together..
Last edited by Pens4Life on Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

I would be ecstatic if the Barbashev swap came to fruition. Smith really does play like he doesn't want to be on the team. Reminds me of Derick Brassard.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Maestro wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:31 pm I would be ecstatic if the Barbashev swap came to fruition. Smith really does play like he doesn't want to be on the team. Reminds me of Derick Brassard.
I tend to want to give new acquisitions time to adjust and fit in, but this trade in particular definitely intrigues me, not just from a talent POV but more importantly with regard to how he might play with Geno...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Guinness wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:48 pm
Maestro wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:31 pm I would be ecstatic if the Barbashev swap came to fruition. Smith really does play like he doesn't want to be on the team. Reminds me of Derick Brassard.
I tend to want to give new acquisitions time to adjust and fit in, but this trade in particular definitely intrigues me, not just from a talent POV but more importantly with regard to how he might play with Geno...
I just don't see why Vegas would give us Barbashev for Smith. Production wise, they are very similar. Smith has done better in the playoffs, but Barbashev plays a heavier Western Conference game.

I just don't see much realistic option for a trade, no matter how badly Smith wants to go back there.
hahnski86
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by hahnski86 »

I'd be as excited (if not more excited) as the next guy to see Barbashev swapped for Smith. But why would Vegas do this? They acquired Barbashev at last years dealine, he helped them to win the cup, they easily could've re-signed Smith and let Ivan walk this offseason but now all of a sudden they are yearning for Reilly Smith back? Again, I'd be beyond thrilled if this happens but seems more like a pipe dream to me.... I'll be the first to "eat crow" if it happens!
hahnski86
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by hahnski86 »

I just don't see much realistic option for a trade, no matter how badly Smith wants to go back there.
[/quote]

Agreed wholeheartedly. Vegas would be out of their minds to make this trade. That being said Ivan Barbashev is just the kind of top 6/9 player that the pens need so desperately. We desperately need someone with speed who finishes checks. Chris Kunitz anyone? Patric Hornqvist anyone? The grit and speed are definitely lacking on this roster.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:52 pm
Guinness wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:48 pm
I just don't see why Vegas would give us Barbashev for Smith. Production wise, they are very similar. Smith has done better in the playoffs, but Barbashev plays a heavier Western Conference game.

I mean, a fella can dream, right? ;)