Puljujarvi signed, 2 years 800K AAV

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Puljujarvi signed, 2 years 800K AAV

Post by FLPensFan »

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Puljujarvi signed, 2 years 800K AAV

Post by KG »

I like the 2 years at a cheap AAV. Go get em pool party !
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Good news. Taking a reclamation player, giving him a regular roster spot to get back to shape, and then signing him to a contract.

Now, he falls into the hands of HCMS. What to expect, what to expect???

(He wasn't awarded a NMC, right?) 8-)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Smith and Ludvig also full practice participants. We'll see what Sullivan does (likely something far, far away from what I'd do) but on Tuesday, I'd go

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Eller-Puljujarvi
Harkins-Acciari-Carter

What I'd eventually like to see is Poulin come up and take 3C spot, Eller down to 4C, Acciari to RW, and Carter out...but Eller is probably playing too well to do that. If we aren't selling on Jake, we should be looking at a 4C upgrade to allow Acciari to move to RW wing he is better.

EDIT:
Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Geno-DOC
Rakell-Eller-JP
Harkins-Acciari-Carter

That's what they used in practice. Also, Ludvig in for POJ, and Graves back with EK.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Puljujarvi won't offer much

I don't get the infatuation with Ludvig, he's not very good.

The sooner Dubas blows it up the better
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:36 pm Puljujarvi won't offer much

Describe "much?" If you are expecting Puljujarvi to produce like a 4th overall draft pick, scoring 30 goals and 90 points, you'll be extremely disappointed. But he is good defensively, good on the forecheck, and can likely be a consistent 15 goal, 35-40 point player on the 3rd line...assuming his hips hold up.

Ludvig has some size and defensive ability. And he's cheap. I don't see him being any worse than Ruhwedel, and the team can use a guy who has some snarl and isn't a slug skating wise.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:22 pm Smith and Ludvig also full practice participants. We'll see what Sullivan does (likely something far, far away from what I'd do) but on Tuesday, I'd go

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Eller-Puljujarvi
Harkins-Acciari-Carter

What I'd eventually like to see is Poulin come up and take 3C spot, Eller down to 4C, Acciari to RW, and Carter out...but Eller is probably playing too well to do that. If we aren't selling on Jake, we should be looking at a 4C upgrade to allow Acciari to move to RW wing he is better.

EDIT:
Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Geno-DOC
Rakell-Eller-JP
Harkins-Acciari-Carter

That's what they used in practice. Also, Ludvig in for POJ, and Graves back with EK.
It's actually a solid forward lineup. I would definitely add Poulin and Puustinen for Harkins and Carter but that won't happen.

One would think if the club struggles after the break they would bring in a new coach to try and save the season, as opposed to blowing up the team and trading assets...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

KG wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:29 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:22 pm Smith and Ludvig also full practice participants. We'll see what Sullivan does (likely something far, far away from what I'd do) but on Tuesday, I'd go

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Eller-Puljujarvi
Harkins-Acciari-Carter

EDIT:
Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Geno-DOC
Rakell-Eller-JP
Harkins-Acciari-Carter

It's actually a solid forward lineup. I would definitely add Poulin and Puustinen for Harkins and Carter but that won't happen.

One would think if the club struggles after the break they would bring in a new coach to try and save the season, as opposed to blowing up the team and trading assets...
Poulin and Puusty arent checking line players.. they must be on 1-3 lines, not 4th.. but from those who are on top 3 lines only DOC and Puljujarvi can be decent 4th liners..but Sully wont put them there for now.. DOC deserves 3rd line spot at least anyway.
If we trade away Smith or Rakell, maybe there will be spot for Poulin..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:03 am
KG wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:29 pm

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Eller-Puljujarvi
Harkins-Acciari-Carter

EDIT:
Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Geno-DOC
Rakell-Eller-JP
Harkins-Acciari-Carter

Poulin and Puusty arent checking line players.. they must be on 1-3 lines, not 4th.. but from those who are on top 3 lines only DOC and Puljujarvi can be decent 4th liners..but Sully wont put them there for now.. DOC deserves 3rd line spot at least anyway.
If we trade away Smith or Rakell, maybe there will be spot for Poulin..
I think the Pens need to go away from the 4th line checking line blackhole offensive approach. They need depth scoring up and down the lineup. Roll 4 lines. Poulin deserves a chance. He can't be any worse than no-goal Harkins. We need a shot of youth. I like the Puljujarvi signing, especially since he's only 25. But would like to blow up our 4th line. If Nieto ever comes back you can have him LW, Poulin at C or Acciari at RW.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I wouldnt mind that at all - worth a try.. Nieto - Poulin - Acciari seems pretty good to me,but Sully will be Sully - he is the main hurdle here,makes too much sense to do something like that and put Acciari on wing,where he is best suited. Also sit Carter,houly crap,probably not even allowed heh!?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm

Describe "much?" If you are expecting Puljujarvi to produce like a 4th overall draft pick, scoring 30 goals and 90 points, you'll be extremely disappointed. But he is good defensively, good on the forecheck, and can likely be a consistent 15 goal, 35-40 point player on the 3rd line...assuming his hips hold up.

Ludvig has some size and defensive ability. And he's cheap. I don't see him being any worse than Ruhwedel, and the team can use a guy who has some snarl and isn't a slug skating wise.
He never played more than 65 games a season prior to his surgery and never topped 15 goals on a much better offensive Edmonton team. This season with 36 games left I'll be very surprised if he tops 5 goals and 15 points

Everytime the Pens bring in a guy to be that physical presence he gets run out relatively quickly. I don't like Ludvig on the right side and I don't think we have a RHD that pairs well with him or POJ.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:26 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm

He never played more than 65 games a season prior to his surgery and never topped 15 goals on a much better offensive Edmonton team. This season with 36 games left I'll be very surprised if he tops 5 goals and 15 points

Everytime the Pens bring in a guy to be that physical presence he gets run out relatively quickly. I don't like Ludvig on the right side and I don't think we have a RHD that pairs well with him or POJ.
I agree that Puljujarvi isn't going to put up much offensively, he just doesn't have much skill. His best years of 15 and 14 goals were when he played with McDavid and then Draisaitl and had PP time. Not getting that in Pittsburgh but he's really cheap so there is hardly any risk here as he's defensively responsible and it's not like he's blocking a winger from being on the bottom-6.

Going forward, we'll see if Dubas learned from his Toronto days that having an offensively very unproductive bottom-6 is a bad idea.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Bit if a nothing burger for me. A warm body in a jersey. Who cares if he plays or Harkins.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:59 am Bit if a nothing burger for me. A warm body in a jersey. Who cares if he plays or Harkins.
I disagree. I'd rather put the trash can in my kitchen on the ice over Jansen Harkins.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Coffey Break wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:26 am
Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:59 am Bit if a nothing burger for me. A warm body in a jersey. Who cares if he plays or Harkins.
I disagree. I'd rather put the trash can in my kitchen on the ice over Jansen Harkins.
I don't get how Harkins is etched in stone in the lineup. 0 goals in 34 games. Sullivan always talks about how hard of a shot he has...Well it's clearly not working! There's not much else they can do without making a hockey trade. Hopefully Puljujarvi helps the bottom 6. I don't know how you don't recall Poulin for Harkins at this point. I know Sullivan wants 100% of his bottom 6 to be penalty killers only (flawed logic when you have an old team) but this team has been screaming for good bottom 6 production for several years now. I don't get why it's so hard to bring in a solid bottom 6. Bring up Poulin, waive Harkins, move Acciari to right wing and see if that gives the 4th line a boost, or at least a threat to score.

Not even mentioning that Carter is also etched in stone in the lineup too.

Funny thing is if this team makes some smart moves in the off season and brings in legitimate bottom 6 players that help take the burden off 87 and 71 then they could still be a playoff contender....and a new coach...
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:35 am
I don't get how Harkins is etched in stone in the lineup. 0 goals in 34 games. Sullivan always talks about how hard of a shot he has...Well it's clearly not working! There's not much else they can do without making a hockey trade. Hopefully Puljujarvi helps the bottom 6. I don't know how you don't recall Poulin for Harkins at this point. I know Sullivan wants 100% of his bottom 6 to be penalty killers only (flawed logic when you have an old team) but this team has been screaming for good bottom 6 production for several years now. I don't get why it's so hard to bring in a solid bottom 6. Bring up Poulin, waive Harkins, move Acciari to right wing and see if that gives the 4th line a boost, or at least a threat to score.

Funny thing is if this team makes some smart moves in the off season and brings in legitimate bottom 6 players that help take the burden off 87 and 71 then they could still be a playoff contender....and a new coach...
Jansen Plotnikov
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:57 am

Jansen Plotnikov
Again Sullivan was asked by the media today about Harkins. "He has a deceptively good shot" I mean enough with being asked about Harkins. I get the media person asking about him was on the Winnipeg side, but come on Sully, Harkins is pure waiver fodder. It's embarrassing to have a forward in the lineup with 0 goals in 34 games and you talk about his shot??

His shot has produced the same amount of goals as mine has this season...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:06 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:57 am

Jansen Plotnikov
Again Sullivan was asked by the media today about Harkins. "He has a deceptively good shot" I mean enough with being asked about Harkins. I get the media person asking about him was on the Winnipeg side, but come on Sully, Harkins is pure waiver fodder. It's embarrassing to have a forward in the lineup with 0 goals in 34 games and you talk about his shot??

His shot has produced the same amount of goals as mine has this season...
Yeah, but have you seen his Corsi....

Seriously, the 5 worst forwards in controlling shot attempts are Harkins, Carter, Hinostroza, Nieto, and Acciari. Acciari is teetering on going sub 40%. There are 456 forwards who have at least 100 minutes TOI at 5v5. Acciari ranks 437th. The only way our 4th line could be any worse was if we were the Islanders. The Islanders have 6 forwards lower than Acciari. :shock:
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

If only the Pens had a couple of younger, cheaper replacements already in the organization with more offensive punch.... oh wait....

Kind of ironic that the Islanders were the toast of the league when their 4th line "won the series" a few years back.