Whatcha think now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Whatcha think now?

Post by Scott »

I'm not posting this for a told ya so but I'm just curious what some of those who disagreed with me think now...

I said it a year ago and said it years before that...

You can't win with Sullivan and Rust.
Rust's speed (been this way for years) is a one sprint burst off the bench then he's spent. It once was an asset but now is fictitious. Superficial.
Sullivan will always think Rust is the best player ever and he'll remind you of that every so often.

The other crippling part is you can't win with Letang and Malkin. The team is not good enough to overcome any lackadaisical play from that duo.
Having to overcome one us bad enough, let alone the pair.

Remember...the team in 16 was ferocious and was able to overcome all those multi goal leads that vanished in the playoffs. Letang played. Team was able to overcome that.
2017 the team didn't lose as many multi goal leads. Letang didn't play in those playoffs.

If you want the hallmark riding off into the sunset story then you're happy as can be.

If you want to win
WELL.....

That...
Will...
Never...
Happen...

WiTH
Sullivan
Rust
Letang
Malkin

Perhaps some just of you get all warm and tingly keeping the band together and maybe that's more important than actually winning a playoff series....
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Whatcha think now?

Post by Pitts »

LOL! Letang has seriously been one of the best players this season. He's having a great year.

Malkin is simply feeling his age.

Rust should have been traded or let walk in UFA 2 seasons ago.

The Pens like to hang on to aging players too much.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

While Rust has slowed down a bit he is WAY down the list of problems the Penguins have. Letang has been the Penguins best defensemen this year. Geno has been up and down this year and is not playing well right now, yes he is a problem right now.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Not being malicious but it's always the same tune...

Letang is doing well...Malkin is off rught now but he'll be ok...

Rust isn't great but he's not the problem.

I'm sorry but yes....

The above are the problem.

It's not just the organIzation that won't let go.

To add...

The contracts they have means you're married to them. Can't do anything with them.

All stupid re-signings. Every single one.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

I think many of us suggested a rebuild was in order 2-3 years ago. Blow it up was discussed quite a bit. I wouldn't claim you were some kind of Nostradamus if I were you. Heck the way this team operates you may have this same discussion 2-3 more years down the line as it seems that Sully has some very compromising pictures/Video of people very high in this organization. He is the problem! Its hard to say what players should stay or go based off of how he uses them. Not a single player fears riding the pine if they play sloppy, take dumb penalties etc. So keep patting yourself on your back, but many people shared your sentiment (I take you at your word, because I don't really recognize "Scott" for many posts on here)
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I didn't disagree. Write it down!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

I am smart, you are dumb……
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:31 pm So keep patting yourself on your back, but many people shared your sentiment (I take you at your word, because I don't really recognize "Scott" for many posts on here)
He's been around for quite a while, and pretty much exclusively makes posts of this nature. That's the reason he made my very short 'ignore' list, and after all these years nothing has changed.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Seems to me that GMKD is not a "slash-and-burn" kind of guy... Just because he hasn't yet acted doesn't not mean that he won't act. From the beginning I didn't expect him to come in and flip over tables. HCMS is well established, and well liked by the administration that KD came into... it makes sense from a management perspective to take time to evaluate him (and I'm assuming he is doing so very closely). If I were him, I'd regularly have meetings with MS, and I'd also schedule team meetings with the entire group including the coaching staff, as well as meetings with team leadership (i.e., Sid, Geno, Letang, etc.). In my view - and please do correct me if I'm wrong here - but there have been very few GM's who've come into an organization from outside and tore everything down... maybe there have been some internal promotees who've done so, but I doubt there are many external hires who have. Again, I could be wrong... but in my experience in management, that's definitely a wildcat position to take, for sure.

Honestly, I'm giving KD until NEXT trade deadline before I'm willing to assess him... according to my very layman's eye :)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Pittsburgh fans (probably all fans) always seem to need a villain, and that's fine, as fans we're all free to root for against anyone, the NHL is just entertainment, right?

But why do you care if some fans want to "keep the band together". This seems important to you to prove them wrong, whoever they are.

Related - and I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm fairly certain there isn't anyone on this board who's actually responsible for shaping the roster of this team, in any capacity.

PS I disagree about Letang. :)
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Guinness wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:00 pm Seems to me that GMKD is not a "slash-and-burn" kind of guy... Just because he hasn't yet acted doesn't not mean that he won't act. From the beginning I didn't expect him to come in and flip over tables. HCMS is well established, and well liked by the administration that KD came into... it makes sense from a management perspective to take time to evaluate him (and I'm assuming he is doing so very closely). If I were him, I'd regularly have meetings with MS, and I'd also schedule team meetings with the entire group including the coaching staff, as well as meetings with team leadership (i.e., Sid, Geno, Letang, etc.). In my view - and please do correct me if I'm wrong here - but there have been very few GM's who've come into an organization from outside and tore everything down... maybe there have been some internal promotees who've done so, but I doubt there are many external hires who have. Again, I could be wrong... but in my experience in management, that's definitely a wildcat position to take, for sure.

Honestly, I'm giving KD until NEXT trade deadline before I'm willing to assess him... according to my very layman's eye :)
The salary cap prohibits having a dumpster fire by any new GM.
Moreover these ridiculous contracts of the previously mentioned make it impossible to do anything with them.
It wasn't just the re-signing of the boys in the band to keep in tact but it's the crippling impact it has going forward.
They aren't just stuck between a rock and a hard place but rather stuck in quick sand with no life line.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Sigwolf wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:56 pm
Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:31 pm So keep patting yourself on your back, but many people shared your sentiment (I take you at your word, because I don't really recognize "Scott" for many posts on here)
He's been around for quite a while, and pretty much exclusively makes posts of this nature. That's the reason he made my very short 'ignore' list, and after all these years nothing has changed.
Yet somehow you just can't help yourself.

Would you rather I said the Penguins are top notch and thankfully they re-signed all these crucial cogs as we'd be battling for an 8th seed otherwise? :roll:
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Steve wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:30 pm Pittsburgh fans (probably all fans) always seem to need a villain, and that's fine, as fans we're all free to root for against anyone, the NHL is just entertainment, right?

But why do you care if some fans want to "keep the band together". This seems important to you to prove them wrong, whoever they are.

Related - and I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm fairly certain there isn't anyone on this board who's actually responsible for shaping the roster of this team, in any capacity.

PS I disagree about Letang. :)
And disagreement is great. The engagement is welcomed and I enjoy your input far more than someone saying ..."player X is the least of the teams problems"
Funny how topics like these always bring out the "least of the teams problems sentiments "

Letang...
We can't dispute the fact we lost several multi goal leads in the 16 playoffs with him playing. (We were good enough to overcome that)
We didn't lose all those leads in the 17 playoffs when he didn't play.

That simply can't be disputed.

Moreover our last playoff series win was in the first round of 2018.

The last two deeo runs we had the above is what transpired with Letang.
Aside from 2018's lone series win we have nothing to erase the last impression of Letang in two deep playoff runs.
Add in the fact we can't win a single playoff series anymore with Letang playing it sure says something....and it's not a positive something about #58

That said I'd be willing to try my luck with Letang if we didn't also have the league's most careless player who also splits time being a basket case in Malkin.

No Malkin ...I'd try my luck with Letang.
You can't overcome the pair of them present day.

Sullivan...I might keep if he didn't have Rust.
He loves Rust way too much and constantly worries more if Rust's feelings are hurt moving him down a line than the damn greater good of the team.

Eighteen million per year couldn't have netted better contribution to winning?

That is still the goal, right? Winning.

Some responses with the warming heart of keeping the good old boys around might suggest otherwise?.!
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Business trumps Fans.

Lemieux turned $26 million dollar debt owed him into a reported $360 million dollar payday when the franchise was sold to FSG. Current franchise value is over $900 million.

Not discussing the decisions to keep a diminishing valued Malkin and Letang, FSG allowed for the core to stay aboard the profit express.

My views from way up high above the 300 level seats that I can barely afford.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I wanted new guys,new blood.. I will be honest, I was rooting for just keeping Rust among those 3.. because he is the youngest and cheapest. I wanted Sullivan gone FIRST, then also Letang and Malkin let go for younger guys... Well didnt happen,it is what it is now..

We can see those guys in the offices love old dudes and wanted them to finish career as Pens and the God coach Sullivan it seems is untouchable lol
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

We get it. Scott does not, and has never liked Letang.

That does not dispute the fact that every single team in the league would love to have Letang playing for them right now.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:27 am We get it. Scott does not, and has never liked Letang.

That does not dispute the fact that every single team in the league would love to have Letang playing for them right now.
I've found Penguins Chronicles. :lol: IYKYK
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Pitts wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:27 am We get it. Scott does not, and has never liked Letang.

You get what? That my goal extends a bit higher than a nice regular season? The team can't overcome both he and Malkin in the playoffs. Not anymore.
The fact Letang's gaffes happen and he's the last line of defense make him even worse.

So teams are coming out in droves with a plethora of offers for his services. Offers just too good to resist right?

Letang is Letang. He plays well when things aren't tight.
Playoffs is the problem.
He doesn't change yet the opposition becomes quicker and more relentless.

That all said ..again...I'd be willing try with Letang without Malkin.

It may not make sense but trust me when I tell you...
Carrying both Letang and Malkin it's Letang who hurts the most.
If we didn't have Malkin I'd be willing to try my luck with Letang. The positives might supersede the negatives.

Keeping the pair disaster is a bad puck bounce away from elimination.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Scott wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:23 pm

You get what? That my goal extends a bit higher than a nice regular season? The team can't overcome both he and Malkin in the playoffs. Not anymore.
The fact Letang's gaffes happen and he's the last line of defense make him even worse.

So teams are coming out in droves with a plethora of offers for his services. Offers just too good to resist right?

Letang is Letang. He plays well when things aren't tight.
Playoffs is the problem.
He doesn't change yet the opposition becomes quicker and more relentless.

That all said ..again...I'd be willing try with Letang without Malkin.

It may not make sense but trust me when I tell you...
Carrying both Letang and Malkin it's Letang who hurts the most.
If we didn't have Malkin I'd be willing to try my luck with Letang. The positives might supersede the negatives.

Keeping the pair disaster is a bad puck bounce away from elimination.
:face:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

LOL. Someone change that broken record!
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

Pitts wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:48 pm LOL. Someone change that broken record!
Same band, same music. Actually same band but the music has gotten worse.
Oldie but a goodie doesn't apply here.
Bo_Pens

Post by Bo_Pens »

Agree with all you wrote except the Malkin part, he has constantly been provided inept wingers. At his age he needs young explosive wingers.
PP has killed us this year. We don’t retain puck, we fight to get it then dump. We are now officially out contention.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Scott wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:17 pm
Pitts wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:48 pm LOL. Someone change that broken record!
Same band, same music. Actually same band but the music has gotten worse.
Oldie but a goodie doesn't apply here.
Yeah, but I think his point was more dead horse scenario than broken record. It doesn't matter who agreed with you or who didn't agree with you, it's not like the GM or coach look at our polls or discussions for guidance. This team has been on a steady decline since the last cup win and I think the Malkin, Letang, Rust internal discussions were part of the denial that this franchise has been under for quite some time. Even with Malkin, Letang, Rust, this team can still win if they had the right system.

Even championship coaches get fired and Sullivan is almost a decade past his expiration date.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Except for teams that have a Tkachuk on them, the Pens appear to be competitive every night. It’s that power play. Paul Maurice could have ordered his boys to take 20 penalties and it wouldn’t change the outcome of the game.

The most obvious thing is to move responsibility away from anyone who has their fingerprints on that power play. And give the new czar of power play full control over of who plays on it and how it is run. And while you’re at it, call up that guy in WBS that was the most effective on the power play when he was on it last month.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Southern Fan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:36 am Except for teams that have a Tkachuk on them, the Pens appear to be competitive every night. It’s that power play. Paul Maurice could have ordered his boys to take 20 penalties and it wouldn’t change the outcome of the game.

The most obvious thing is to move responsibility away from anyone who has their fingerprints on that power play. And give the new czar of power play full control over of who plays on it and how it is run. And while you’re at it, call up that guy in WBS that was the most effective on the power play when he was on it last month.
Actually they can use the same strategy from the Waterboy (offense just kneels on the ball after scoring once). Score a goal then just mug the Penguins the rest of the game. Either they can't score because they're being mugged or won't score because the PP is inept.