Whatcha think now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Whatcha think now?

Post by Risto »

I could accept a team that's not very good, but is fun and entertaining to watch. That describes the Pens of the mid to late 80's, when I was a kid and started following hockey. No team gets to be a Cup contender every year or in every era and that's fine. But this year's version of the team is the worst of all worlds- not very good and also deadly boring to watch. Second lowest scoring team in the east.

I thought the Crosby/Malkin window had closed way back during the Mike Johnson debacle, so 2 more Cups from this core was a shocking bonus. Wonderful and never to be forgotten. But it's over. They could have made good playoff runs as recently as '21 and '22, but lacked the goaltending. Now, they lack everything else. Singling out individual performances is almost silly at this point, because so many guys are stealing paychecks. That reflects on the coach as well, and Sullivan's time should certainly be up here, unless he's going to be the Penguins' Tomlin.

And, the thing that is sacrilegious to say- The organization needs to talk to Sid in the offseason and see if he wants to count down his last few years on a bad, rebuilding Penguins team, or go to a contender. He's earned that choice.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I can’t make an informed decision on the roster top to bottom including a handful of guys in WBS until we get a new coach. Sullivan keeps doing the same thing every year and the supporting players brought in or brought up eventually all play the same after they hit about 10 games under him. No depth players look good despite appearing to be the types of players we need and when they go they again look like the types of players we need.

I have no idea if we need a complete overhaul to at least look like a team that knows how to play professional hockey. Sullivan needs to go now, give Vellucci the interim title and if they start to play well promote him to permanent in the summer. Otherwise hire Galant so he can get 2 seasons out of the core that’s left before he wears out his welcome like he has everywhere he goes then it will be time for a real rebuild.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

DelPen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:34 am I can’t make an informed decision on the roster top to bottom including a handful of guys in WBS until we get a new coach. Sullivan keeps doing the same thing every year and the supporting players brought in or brought up eventually all play the same after they hit about 10 games under him. No depth players look good despite appearing to be the types of players we need and when they go they again look like the types of players we need.
I wish I could say you're wrong, but you are dead on. These players regress or their play deteriorates as they adapt to Sullivan's "system". The parallel to Bylsma's reign is astonishing and disturbing. He must go and go now!
DelPen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:34 am I have no idea if we need a complete overhaul to at least look like a team that knows how to play professional hockey. Sullivan needs to go now, give Vellucci the interim title and if they start to play well promote him to permanent in the summer. Otherwise hire Galant so he can get 2 seasons out of the core that’s left before he wears out his welcome like he has everywhere he goes then it will be time for a real rebuild.
Yes, the system needs to change for them to have any hope of competing.
Risto wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:55 am And, the thing that is sacrilegious to say- The organization needs to talk to Sid in the offseason and see if he wants to count down his last few years on a bad, rebuilding Penguins team, or go to a contender. He's earned that choice.
I'm afraid you have a point there as well. That would be sad, but it is the honorable thing to do.