Pens acquire Bemström from Columbus for Nylander and conditional 2026 Sixth-Round Draft Pick

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Admin
Site Admin

Pens acquire Bemström from Columbus for Nylander and conditional 2026 Sixth-Round Draft Pick

Post by Admin »

Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens acquire Bemstrom

Post by Southern Fan »

New winger for Malkin?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

When do the Penguins alert the city of the pending parade?

Actually, GMKD has made two roster changes since his press conference. On a roll, baby...
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Pens acquire Bemstrom from Columbus for Nylander and conditional 2026 Sixth-Round Draft Pick

Post by pronovost19 »

Hakan Loob Award Winner in 2019.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Southern Fan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:40 pm New winger for Malkin?
Seeing as how he’s been pegged as a 3rd or 4th line wing on one of the worst teams in the NHL then you are probably right.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pens acquire Bemstrom from Columbus for Nylander and conditional 2026 Sixth-Round Draft Pick

Post by E-Ramone »

Dubas seems hell bent on just completely avoiding dealing with the actual problems on this team. But sure, sign the mighty Phillips, waive Colin White, and trade Nylander for whoever this guy is. I just don’t see the point in making these moves.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

It looks like the definition of a trade for the sake of making a trade. From first read they look to be the same player. I mean they did get younger so I guess that's good.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

45 pts in 29 games in AHL , 24 goals.. thats impressive

And has some NHL games under his belt, put him with Geno instead of 9yrs old Phillips
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Nylander played 14 games for the Pens in 2 years. At age 25, if you're not going to play him, may as well trade him for a younger guy who has more time to not get a chance to play here under Sullivan.

#GettingYounger
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:05 pm 45 pts in 29 games in AHL , 24 goals.. thats impressive

And has some NHL games under his belt, put him with Geno instead of 9yrs old Phillips
Let Geno get an actual NHL winger one of these games.
Sid can take one of the young guys for a change.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

:thumb:
DelPen wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:50 pm
Seeing as how he’s been pegged as a 3rd or 4th line wing on one of the worst teams in the NHL then you are probably right.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Sheesh! I was scared there for a second and thought he was a Russian knowing that the Pens have a rule that only 1 Russian forward is allowed on the team I thought it spelled the end for Geno. But this guy is Sweedish.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

E-Ramone wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:54 pm Dubas seems hell bent on just completely avoiding dealing with the actual problems on this team. But sure, sign the mighty Phillips, waive Colin White, and trade Nylander for whoever this guy is. I just don’t see the point in making these moves.
He needs to wait closer to the deadline for any of those bigger moves. Have to maximize return by playing teams against each other and making them desperate. Patience youngster! 😊
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

In talking to some blue jackets fans. This guy apparently has flashes of a lot of high end skill. They say he looks like a 30 goal scorer some games and disappears others. But they did say he looked best playing top 6. So a winger for Geno maybe far fetched. I like the move from the standpoint Nylander had his looks and they seemed over him. So, why not?
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I've heard from CBJ peeps that he has a wicked shot but is hesitant to use it. Pass first. He should fit right in!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/3 ... l-bemstrom

45 PTS in last 29 GP in AHL is impressive, 24 goals -- those stats are spread thru last and this season.. But also has 5 goals in 32 games this season in NHL, thats not bad, I would give him a 5 games on Geno's wing to see what he has..

btw. this is specifics of the deal :
If Emil Bemstrom scores six goals the rest of this season with Pittsburgh, the sixth-round pick in 2026 becomes a third-round pick.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Not an earth shattering move, but, it became abundantly clear that Sullivan had no use for Nylander at the NHL level. His contract is up at the end of this year, and it is doubtful the Penguins were going to re-sign him.

So, at least on that level, this is an upgrade because we get another, slightly younger body in here that we can try up on the big club and see if he clicks a little more here than he did in Columbus.

Now, if he comes here and starts bumping Puustinen and Puljujarvi out of the lineup and plays like Colin White, I'll have some issues.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:43 am Not an earth shattering move, but, it became abundantly clear that Sullivan had no use for Nylander at the NHL level. His contract is up at the end of this year, and it is doubtful the Penguins were going to re-sign him.

So, at least on that level, this is an upgrade because we get another, slightly younger body in here that we can try up on the big club and see if he clicks a little more here than he did in Columbus.

Now, if he comes here and starts bumping Puustinen and Puljujarvi out of the lineup and plays like Colin White, I'll have some issues.
This could be a sneaky good acquisition. Since their recent GM turnover, there may be Columbus players that come available who wouldn't have been before. I think Bemstrom is definitely an upgrade over Nylander and, if you're a winger, the Columbus crop of centers doesn't really excite you. Besides Jenner, I can't even think of another center ice man on their team (without looking...). If he gets a chance with Malkin, and even remotely clicks, he should be able to show what he can do.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

The 6th round pick converts to a 3rd if Bemstrom scores at least 6 goals this year (for the Pens)!
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... ue-jackets
Bemstrom will likely play in the Penguins’ bottom six, where scoring often goes to disappear. In 32 games this season, Bemstrom has five goals and six assists for 11 total points.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pitts wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:35 pm The 6th round pick converts to a 3rd if Bemstrom scores at least 6 goals this year (for the Pens)!
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... ue-jackets
Bemstrom will likely play in the Penguins’ bottom six, where scoring often goes to disappear. In 32 games this season, Bemstrom has five goals and six assists for 11 total points.
That’s an insanely low threshold to go from a 6th to a 3rd. This seems like a Hextall trade.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Will Bemstrom go to WBS, report there or he stays with NHL Pens? Didnt saw any news about that..
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I am ok with this trade if it was one-for-one. Meaning, if we had dealt Nylander for Bemstrom straight up. But why are we adding a draft pick here? Are we not at a point with this organization where we should be acquiring as many draft picks as possible to begin rebuilding our youth and depth?

Bemstrom was on waivers only a few months ago.
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/columbus- ... on-waivers

He went unclaimed.

Again, I am ok with taking a chance on a guy. My main problems are :
- Why are we giving up a draft pick
- Geno still needs a real wing or set of wings.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:27 pm I am ok with this trade if it was one-for-one. Meaning, if we had dealt Nylander for Bemstrom straight up. But why are we adding a draft pick here? Are we not at a point with this organization where we should be acquiring as many draft picks as possible to begin rebuilding our youth and depth?

Bemstrom was on waivers only a few months ago.
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/columbus- ... on-waivers

He went unclaimed.

Again, I am ok with taking a chance on a guy. My main problems are :
- Why are we giving up a draft pick
- Geno still needs a real wing or set of wings.
Could be several reasons for the pick....maybe overall, evaluators still fee Bemstrom has more upside. I'm fine with a 6th being given up. You want to hit on those every once in awhile but, if you can complete a deal by adding a 4th-7th, there usually isn't going to be much fuss. For the most part, those are throw away picks.

Where this would become interesting is if Bemstrom hits the conditional goal mark, and we have to give up a 3rd instead. Picks in rounds 1-3 are what teams should be stockpiling, and I'm not going to be really satisfied that Bemstrom scoring 6 goals the rest of the season means he was worth a 3rd.

As for the unclaimed part, that was fairly early in the season, so unless a team had a rash of injuries at a position, I don't think many teams are interested in taking flyers on guys yet.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pens acquire Bemström from Columbus for Nylander and conditional 2026 Sixth-Round Draft Pick

Post by Antonio »

If he puts up 5 goals, i bench him the rest of the year or send him down. No way in hell I'm giving up a 3rd for this guy unless he puts up 6 in his first game.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Pens acquire Bemström from Columbus for Nylander and conditional 2026 Sixth-Round Draft Pick

Post by maopens »

Unless Bemstrom becomes another Bedard in the next 2 weeks, I would expect him on a bus to WBS once he scores that 5th goal.

You don't let this become a 3rd round pick in this trade.