2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Mad City Mike wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:11 pm
Three Stars wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:09 pm
Mad City Mike wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:07 pm I am so over Dubas. I am stunned did nothing meaningful after the Guentzel stupidity.
Yeah, because deliberately selling in a situation where prices have fallen to the floor just to make the fans happy is definitely a strategy that he should have taken.
He brought in a bunch of trash over the summer. It is now trash that nobody else wants and they are stuck with it.
He got *something* for Guentzel who was going to walk after a season where we don't make the playoffs. How good that something is, is up for interpretation. If GMKD says there wasn't a better deal out there, that could very well be true.

I'm fine with criticizing the depth Dubas brought in, and not having dealth Guentzel much earlier in the season or before the season. But at this time, what did we expect?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I was off the ground when I heard penguin goalie traded...bah humbug.
Not Jarry.

Trading deadline has definitely lost its vigor. All of the NHL.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Mad City Mike wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:07 pm I am so over Dubas. I am stunned did nothing meaningful after the Guentzel stupidity.
Yeah, because deliberately selling in a situation where prices have fallen to the floor just to make the fans happy is definitely a strategy that he should have taken.
He brought in a bunch of trash over the summer. It is now trash that nobody else wants and they are stuck with it.
Theyre a bunch of trash, so you’re mad that they didn’t sell them because nobody wants them because they’re a bunch of trash, so you’re mad that they didn’t sell them because nobody wants them because they’re a bunch of trash, so you’re mad that they didn’t sell them because nobody wants them because they’re a bunch of trash?
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Just realized that Phil Kessel never actually signed with the Canucks.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Very unimpressed with Dubas on his first trade deadline experience in Pittsburgh.

Very unimpressed.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

The rest of this season is going to be soooo fun to watch. Hahaha
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Zucker went for a 6th...Reilly Smith would of had about the same value...maybe less especially with another year at 5M on his contract. Eller wouldn't of fetched much either in this trade market. Bad year to be a seller.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:28 pm The rest of this season is going to be soooo fun to watch. Hahaha
Well if they continue to crater, then they can use to option to have a top 10 draft pick this year, and let next year's go to San Jose
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

pens_CT wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:29 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:28 pm The rest of this season is going to be soooo fun to watch. Hahaha
Well if they continue to crater, then they can use to option to have a top 10 draft pick this year, and let next year's go to San Jose
Is next year going to be better? I would not be on that.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Three Stars wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:21 pm
Theyre a bunch of trash, so you’re mad that they didn’t sell them because nobody wants them because they’re a bunch of trash, so you’re mad that they didn’t sell them because nobody wants them because they’re a bunch of trash, so you’re mad that they didn’t sell them because nobody wants them because they’re a bunch of trash?
No, I am saying he has had a terrible first year, as evidenced by him being unable to offload said trash.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

yinzer69 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:29 pm Zucker went for a 6th...Reilly Smith would of had about the same value...maybe less especially with another year at 5M on his contract. Eller wouldn't of fetched much either in this trade market. Bad year to be a seller.
No reason to make a bad deal now. Season is over. Wait until the off-season when things open up and teams have more options.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

If we finish at 8-12 I'd give them this year's draft. Next year's draft I believe is deeper and obviously we are due for our bi-decade bingo ball win.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Or not watch. Got golf on opposite them this weekend.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:38 pm If we finish at 8-12 I'd give them this year's pick. We are almost certainly going to be worse next season and next year's draft I believe is deeper and obviously we are due for our bi-decade bingo ball win.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Mad City Mike wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:37 pm
Three Stars wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:21 pm
No, I am saying he has had a terrible first year, as evidenced by him being unable to offload said trash.
I bet you were fine with the moves in the off season back in October. Did anyone really think acquiring Smith for a 3rd was bad move? Did anyone think Graves would come in here and suck out loud??? Yes the term on the contract wasn't great but you overpay on July 1st. I am not exactly sure who you thought was trash back on October 13th? Please enlighten us.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

plus was able to unload almost every bad contract from the Hextall regime in the Karlsson deal. What did he do in the summer that was "trash"?????
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

There's pundits out there that's actually seen these guys play that believe this was a solid trade for Pittsburgh. I know that goes against all Scandinavian scouts on the board, but nonetheless, something to ponder.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:43 pm There's pundits out there that's actually seen these guys play that believe this was a solid trade for Pittsburgh. I know that goes against all Scandinavian scouts on the board, but nonetheless, something to ponder.
Another way to look at it....I know Jesse Marshall is against the quantity over quality argument....but we all talk about the lack of depth on this team. We just got potentially 3 prospects that even if they are good 3rd or 4th liners that still a need. Imagine if just 1 guy turns into a 2nd liner and the others 2 are 3rd and 4th liners....young, entry level contract depth.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Im hoping for a Staal trade-like outcome. One really solid NHLer out of the haul. If they hit on more than one of these guys then so much the better.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Three Stars wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:50 pm
Word is Ullmark nixed it. Didn't want to move to LA.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Well LA isn't what it used to be that is for sure.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Chychrun wasn’t traded. Neither was Markstrom from Calgary.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Actually a surprising lack of movement overall today I'd say.