Official GDT: Pens @ Flames 3/2/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Official GDT: Pens @ Flames 3/2/24

Post by DelPen »

I think I’m more mad at Dubas for giving Sullivan only Phillips and Gruden as alternatives instead of Poulin, Zohorna or Hinistroza but Gruden on the third line seems stupid anyways.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Flames 3/2/24

Post by KG »

Gruden on the 3rd line? lol give me a break. Just play Puljujarvi. We need to recall Poulin and get some real forward depth.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Zero reason to scratch Puljujarvi in this game.The 3rd Line played a strong 2 Periods in Seattle,he was physical and sound defensively.Not understanding this at all.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Or Dubas is sitting in his office "Wait! What? That's not what I brough up Gruden for!!!!" He can only give Sullivan the pieces, not tell him where to play them.

But keep rolling out Jansen Harkins on that 4th line and see if he can go 0 for season in goals scored.
Keep rolling out Carter on that RW because he's good at faceoffs and got a few lucky PP goals recently.
Keep playing Acciari at center, when he's been much, much better at RW throughout his career.

The fact that that 4th line is meh at best yet gets jerseys every night is beyond comprehension at this point.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

The Penguins pre-game radio show is talking about how the Pens didn't do nearly enough in front of the Kraken net last game and how they need to do better. That's been the case all season. It's pretty obvious that no one really wants to play in front of the net. They are just not willing to do it. Maybe a guy in the bottom six here and there but certainly no one in the top six. In all fairness Guentzel can't be that guy. He's too small. You don't want Sid or Geno playing there because they will take a lot of abuse. Needs to be a winger. That needs to be addressed in the off-season, if not the deadline (but probably not).
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:43 pm Or Dubas is sitting in his office "Wait! What? That's not what I brough up Gruden for!!!!" He can only give Sullivan the pieces, not tell him where to play them.

But keep rolling out Jansen Harkins on that 4th line and see if he can go 0 for season in goals scored.
Keep rolling out Carter on that RW because he's good at faceoffs and got a few lucky PP goals recently.
Keep playing Acciari at center, when he's been much, much better at RW throughout his career.

The fact that that 4th line is meh at best yet gets jerseys every night is beyond comprehension at this point.
Sullivan has a history of using garbage over at least non-garbage with 3 different GM’s. At some point these guys need to stop enabling Sullivan by having garbage players on the NHL roster. Can’t play Harkins, Gruden or Phillips if they aren’t on the roster. The only player Dubas can’t eliminate from contention is Carter since he has a NMC but to my absolute surprise, Carter has been fine this year and is maybe #25 on the list of problems with this organization this season.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:43 pm Or Dubas is sitting in his office "Wait! What? That's not what I brough up Gruden for!!!!" He can only give Sullivan the pieces, not tell him where to play them.

Because Sullivan is the most stubborn coach in history. He probably still has a rotary phone in his house. "It still works FINE!"
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I look forward to next season to hopefully never have to see Harkins, and Carter playing anchors on the Pens again.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:51 pm I look forward to next season to hopefully never have to see Harkins, and Carter playing anchors on the Pens again.
If Sullivan is still here it will just be some other useless plugs like Archibald, Heinen, Jankowski, Sceviour or Blandisi to name a few who saw ice time and roster pace over younger players who might had been better but were sent to WBS due to waiver exemptions every single year.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Doesn't the puck drop at like 10:45 due to the jersey retirement ceremony?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:46 pm

Sullivan has a history of using garbage over at least non-garbage with 3 different GM’s. At some point these guys need to stop enabling Sullivan by having garbage players on the NHL roster. Can’t play Harkins, Gruden or Phillips if they aren’t on the roster. The only player Dubas can’t eliminate from contention is Carter since he has a NMC but to my absolute surprise, Carter has been fine this year and is maybe #25 on the list of problems with this organization this season.
Carter has been better this season, no doubt. The counter-point is, Acciari should be better at RW. Sullivan refuses to sit Sullivan and move Acciari over to RW. That's my biggest beef. It's a whole other issue that we don't really have another player to play 4C, but that's a whole other issue. I would have liked to have seen Gruden at 4C, Acciari at RW. Or keep Puljujarvi in the lineup.

I don't see the point of continually giving 39 year old Carter, who is all but retired at season's end, a spot in the lineup over a half dozen guys like Gruden, Poulin, Puljujarvi, Bemstrom, Zohorona, etc that we should be looking to see what they can do with a longer look.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Poulin at 4C with Carter to mentor him and take some more important draws if he was struggling would actually had been a smart plan for the season. But this team refuses to do smart.

And to be fair, they finally did scratch Carter early when we had everyone healthy but then right after that we had guys get inured and didn't have cap space to call anyone up sp Carter was back in and we haven’t had all the players Sully has wanted since then healthy at the same time.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DelPen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:01 pm Doesn't the puck drop at like 10:45 due to the jersey retirement ceremony?
So not a late start, thought it was going to be like the Kings unveiling the Brown statue incident.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Philly won against OTT tonight. Tampa just won in a S/O against Montreal. This is the game. The game they absolutely need 2 points to have any chance...not sure what I want the outcome to be.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:08 pm Philly won against OTT tonight. Tampa just won in a S/O against Montreal. This is the game. The game they absolutely need 2 points to have any chance...not sure what I want the outcome to be.
So it's basically the biggest game of the season and we have Gruden playing on the 3rd line :scared:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:08 pm Philly won against OTT tonight. Tampa just won in a S/O against Montreal. This is the game. The game they absolutely need 2 points to have any chance...not sure what I want the outcome to be.
I think we’re all in that rather leaky boat.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Isles also buried Boston.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Harsh call, the Flame clenched down on Rakell’s stick, that was more holding by the Flame than a trip by Rakell.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Calgary seems very fast, even 5 x5.

Jarry is going to have to be on his game.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:17 pm Harsh call, the Flame clenched down on Rakell’s stick, that was more holding by the Flame than a trip by Rakell.
Good thing Calgary’s PP is just as bad as ours.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

DOC a 2 on 1 will not shoot. These dudes never shoot.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

pronovost19 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:19 pm DOC a 2 on 1 will not shoot. These dudes never shoot.
To see new and young players come into the team and shoot and eventually have that go away tells me that shoot first is something frowned upon by the coach.

Sullivan’s approach to the sport is stuck in 2017.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

We should expect Pustinen to get his ice time cut tonight after he doesn’t elevate the play of his two line mates.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Smith is so bad. Does he hold on to a puck for more than one second?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Cue “Sweet Georgia Brown”