Official GDT: Pens @ Oilers 3/3/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Oilers 3/3/24

Post by BurghThing »

SteelCityFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:01 am
maopens wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:09 pm I don't know there there are enough moves possible to make difference to this team. They've quit, again.
This is the most frustrating part for me. It’s obvious to anyone who’s ever watched the sport of hockey that this team has given up on the coaching staff. In fact, I believe the team gave up on this coaching staff last year. What has this staff done to warrant keeping their jobs?
Being born in Boston
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Glad I didn't watch this one. I had the score updating on my phone (while we were watching actual entertainment), and in the time it took me to refill a glass and walk back the Oilers had scored twice. So that's horrible.

If it wasn't over and done last night, it sure as hell is now. Sell off whoever can be moved, but most importantly I think it's (past) time to fire Sullivan. This is literally the quality of play that got Mike Johnston canned, but he's managed to keep his job with the same output over an impossibly long timeframe. What's it gonna take?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

maopens wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:09 pm I don't know there there are enough moves possible to make difference to this team. They've quit, again.
This is the most frustrating part for me. It’s obvious to anyone who’s ever watched the sport of hockey that this team has given up on the coaching staff. In fact, I believe the team gave up on this coaching staff last year. What has this staff done to warrant keeping their jobs?
Yep, it was disappointing last year when they kept talking about flipping the switch (not in those words). They blew 3 games at the end of the season, against what should have been "easy" teams to miss the playoffs.

They just haven't been much better than a .500 hockey team for two straight years. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it...there's only 2 constants here...the core and Sullivan, either one is at fault, or neither work together anymore and they are both at fault. With the odd lineup decisions, benching young guys after what seems to be good showings, the inept PP...I think I know where I'm pointing the finger.

From the player side, Malkin is a problem moving forward. He is clearly declining. Crosby is playing well, Letang has maybe had a slight drop off, but he's been pretty solid. EK65 is hard to judge, because I don't think he just fell off a cliff. Just like Graves didn't become the worst defenseman in the league overnight. These 2 were playing well before they came here. So was Reilly Smith. Again, not sure how you don't point the finger at Sullivan.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:28 am They just haven't been much better than a .500 hockey team for two straight years. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it...there's only 2 constants here...the core and Sullivan, either one is at fault, or neither work together anymore and they are both at fault. With the odd lineup decisions, benching young guys after what seems to be good showings, the inept PP...I think I know where I'm pointing the finger.
One could assume Crosby and Malkin at a young age were used to having coaches who weren't able to see the game at the same level as they did. Sullivan fits into this mold now. He is over his head to inspire talent.

Malkin's seemingly disinterest in playing (he didn't show Malkin exuberance after scoring tonight), and Crosby not engaging with the coaching staff on the bench, tells you where the fault lies. I don't see either being rebellious when Sullivan is **** canned.
cake45

Post by cake45 »

Zalapski33 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:59 pm One of the least competitive games from this franchise in a long time.
The lack of anything offensively from Smith and Rakell as top 6 Wingers is a killer.
Ned had a rough game in spite of the Oil not really doing much.
Zero physical play,intensity or effort.
The 2 terrible pinches from EK and POJ set this into motion but the lack of push back is all a reflection of the inability of Sully to connect with his team.

The damage from that loss to Calgary last night had its effect (thank You Kris Letang).A team that has a coaching staff whose system can't adapt with the current style of play in the NHL,made personnel moves that didn't work, is mentally weak while blowing leads in 3rd Periods,,has a PP that failed all season, simply doesn't get the veteran presence needed from 2 of the "core"-Malkin and Letang and looks like they know there are no answers from the Coaches.

Will be sad to see Guentzel traded,but there are other moves that should all be on the table this week(Smith,Eller,Ned).They won't cut Sully or the staff loose despite it being long overdue but Dubas has to wake up and see what has to happen with the roster while they can get a return for these players.The Season is Over.
Disappointing game. Smith and Rakell's lack of offense hurt, and Ned had a rough night. No physical play or intensity. EK and POJ's mistakes set the tone. Seems like Sully struggles to connect with the team. The impact from the loss to Calgary shows. Coaching system and personnel moves aren't working. Mentally weak, blowing leads, and PP issues. Malkin and Letang not providing veteran presence. Guentzel might be traded, and other moves should be considered (Smith, Eller, Ned). The season seems over; changes needed.
cake45

Post by cake45 »

It's a tough situation for sure. The frustration with the coaching staff and the team's overall performance is evident. Trades might be necessary to shake things up. Losing Guentzel would be sad, but if it helps bring in fresh energy, it might be worth considering. The team needs a reset, and hopefully, upcoming changes can set a more positive tone for the future.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

KG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:55 pm If Dubas makes a bunch of trades and brings in a bunch of younger skilled players, you absolutely can't have Sullivan as the coach. He will not develop them. They will be forced to be defensive plugs or will be traded and go on to produce elsewhere.

Really hope Dubas see's that a change is needed, and it's not just with the roster. Wholesale changes are needed.
Its not all on him,but either way he should be gone year ago.. so whatever we do now at trade deadline, Sully has no business being coach next year anymore.. he blew two non playoff seasons
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:28 am
Yep, it was disappointing last year when they kept talking about flipping the switch (not in those words). They blew 3 games at the end of the season, against what should have been "easy" teams to miss the playoffs.

They just haven't been much better than a .500 hockey team for two straight years. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it...there's only 2 constants here...the core and Sullivan, either one is at fault, or neither work together anymore and they are both at fault. With the odd lineup decisions, benching young guys after what seems to be good showings, the inept PP...I think I know where I'm pointing the finger.

From the player side, Malkin is a problem moving forward. He is clearly declining. Crosby is playing well, Letang has maybe had a slight drop off, but he's been pretty solid. EK65 is hard to judge, because I don't think he just fell off a cliff. Just like Graves didn't become the worst defenseman in the league overnight. These 2 were playing well before they came here. So was Reilly Smith. Again, not sure how you don't point the finger at Sullivan.
:thumb: team owners must swallow their agenda,as same as KD and stop pretending Sullivan is best coach ever :D :face: ..
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

This team is starting to feel like the early '00s team, specifically those couple years after the Jagr trade and before they really bottomed out. I looked up the 2001-2002 roster, and they still had some talent: Kovalev, Lang, Kaspairitis, Straka, old Lemieux (though the latter two missed a lot of games). But then you also had guys who were going to be "never was" type of players who we (or at least I) were trying to talk ourselves into thinking that they could be good NHLers: Beech, Kraft, Rick Berry, etc.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:34 am
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:28 am

Malkin's seemingly disinterest in playing (he didn't show Malkin exuberance after scoring tonight), and Crosby not engaging with the coaching staff on the bench, tells you where the fault lies. I don't see either being rebellious when Sullivan is **** canned.
Customary that if your team is being blown out in the third and you score a goal, you don’t act like you just won the Stanley Cup. Unless you are a Washington Capital.

Malkin either has a nagging upper body injury or he has contracted a severe case of Jeff Carteritis.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Southern Fan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:47 amCustomary that if your team is being blown out in the third and you score a goal, you don’t act like you just won the Stanley Cup. Unless you are a Washington Capital.
:lol:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

largegarlic wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:45 am This team is starting to feel like the early '00s team, specifically those couple years after the Jagr trade and before they really bottomed out. I looked up the 2001-2002 roster, and they still had some talent: Kovalev, Lang, Kaspairitis, Straka, old Lemieux (though the latter two missed a lot of games). But then you also had guys who were going to be "never was" type of players who we (or at least I) were trying to talk ourselves into thinking that they could be good NHLers: Beech, Kraft, Rick Berry, etc.
There was a lot of drama over Rik Berry, for sure! :lol: A lot of folks here, if I remember correctly, were really butt-hurt when he was lost on waivers (I think that's how it went - I don't think we traded him...)

I loved that Lang, Kovy, Straka line. One of my all-time favorites!

But then we had a lot of other duds... Tyler Wright. I think Chris Tamer was still working our blueline back then. JS Aubin? Ian Moran (whom I actually really liked just for the simple reason that he always seemed to give it his all, no matter where they put him in the lineup). Jiri Slegr... who really wasn't all that bad, just not great.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Might have to dig out my Ian Moran traffic cone picture :lol: