Top wingers in Penguins history...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Top wingers in Penguins history...

Post by Three Stars »

...according to an expert panel empowered by the Athletic. Voted on a 10 point scale and based solely on the Penguins portion of their careers.
Final ballot
Jaromir Jagr 130
Kevin Stevens 112
Jake Guentzel 86
Chris Kunitz 66
Mark Recchi 65
Jean Pronovost 57
Rick Kehoe 51
Phil Kessel 45
Joe Mullen 39
Alex Kovalev 31
Rick Tocchet 19
Patric Hörnqvist 6
Bryan Rust 3
Rob Brown 1
Bob Kelly 1
Greg Polis 1
Discuss.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Top wingers in Penguins history...

Post by FLPensFan »

Can't argue much with the list. I mean at first glance, a guy like Tocchet or Rust or Hornqvist seem pretty low. But when you start looking at the players above them, it's hard to argue that they deserve to be higher.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Kovalev being that low is a joke. He should at least be above Kunitz and possibly Jake. Although Jake has the edge in playoff success.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

It's hard to come up with a list since many weren't here for that many years to make a big enough dent. I would probably go with Jagr, Stevens, Kunitz, Jake, Recchi
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Couple other names that may make that list:
- Dupuis
- Nedved
- Straka
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Jagr is an utter no-brainer.

Stevens' peak was higher than anyone else on the list besides Jagr. He was that goshdarned good, so I see the point of having him at #2.

Guentzel had more longevity at the top of his craft with the Pens than Recchi and had more clear talent than Kunitz.

Kunitz gets the edge over others for being reliable and making really underrated plays.

I think Recchi is a bit overrated as a Penguin. He was good, became outright great in 1991, but the rest of his time here was as a fading vet. The bulk of his career was elsewhere.

I wasn't around/sentient enough to really judge Pronovost and Kehoe.

Kessel's playoff peak is counterbalanced by some semi-disappointing regular seasons.

Joey Mullen and his neck brace always seemed to be injured in the playoffs. You kind of forget how good of a sniper he was unless you watch 1990-92 regular season highlights.

For a good time, do a board search on my feelings about Alex Kovalev's second stint with the team. Lots of talent, but other than 2000-2001 the results left you wanting a lot.

Tocchet was a playoff warrior, had one great regular season, one very injured season, and then he was gone. Not enough resume to rank him higher.

Hornqvist is a case where his contributions in the locker room and on the ice probably don't translate to counting stats. If you're ranking talent then he's right where he should be, but for overall impact I would put him above Tocchet and even possibly Kovalev. Horny was basically Rick Tocchet for more years and with more team success.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Sullivan will be upset Simon isn't on the list.

I'd probably give Hörnqvist and Rust a little bump, not by much but they need some more love. Conversely, I'd bump Kessel just a little down.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Pitts wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:00 am Kovalev being that low is a joke. He should at least be above Kunitz and possibly Jake. Although Jake has the edge in playoff success.
:thumb: Loved watching him play.

Will be following the Canes to see how Jake does.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 100565 »

1. Lemieux. He took some shifts as wing so he is #1.
2. Pat Boutette. In 83-84 he knew exactly the job that needed done and did it remarkably well. That year he played 73 games and was a -56 in +/-! Brilliant performance. Without that awesome performance Lemieux would have been a Devil (and Jagr too cause he wanted to play with 66)
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

I really feel Dupuis should be included. He was a great glue guy and contributed to one of the most dangerous lines during his time, and could be counted on on any situation. He may have been a throw in, but he ended up being one of the pieces that made the championship team.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Being completely unbiased, I can't argue with that list.

That said, a couple of my favorite all-time wingers are:

Well, that list begins and ends with Alexei Kovalev. When we got him, I was over the moon. I hated that he was a Ranger, but I LOVED watching that guy play hockey. He danced on those skates and he was always a threat to score when he was on the ice. And the BEST goal celebration of all time is when he moonwalked... it was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQF7nQO3T_w

Next is probably Artie.

Then probably Marty Straka... the only guy who ever got injured doing squats lol.

Maybe Kunitz above Marty... I don't know for sure. But Kunitz played with more reckless abandon than anyone this team ever had besides Tocchet and Rechin' ball. That dude had zero quit in him.

Here's a rando for you guys - Tomas Sandstrom. How about that one!? I think we picked him up in maybe '95 from LA? Anyway, I'm not sure why, but I always liked that guy.

Then some of the guys left off the list - Nedved, Bourque, even Bibsy... the latter 2 won Cups with the team so they have to be considered. I'll admit that Nedved is a bit of an outlier but he was quality.

Good thread man. It's fun going back through all those old names. I lived in Washington PA a few years ago and used to go up to Bar 31 and got to sit with Kenny Wrregget a couple times - always loved that guy... he was always such a lunch bucket kind of guy. I used to go to the arena to watch the players walk in from the parking lot back in the 90's when the team made them park outside lol, and Kenny always showed up in his red Chevy pickup like he was going to work. Always love that guy...