Official GDT: Pens vs Red Wings 3/17/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Red Wings 3/17/24

Post by Zalapski33 »

DelPen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:33 pm What the **** is Sullivan complaining about?
He's probably annoyed that Puustinen and DOC got Goals tonight,he can't scratch them in case Nieto or Harkins return this week.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Good to see them scoring goals again. 3 offensive scoring lines is what this team needs. Group effort. Leave Smith-Eller-Puustinen line alone, Sully.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Zalapski33 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 pm
DelPen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:33 pm What the **** is Sullivan complaining about?
He's probably annoyed that Puustinen and DOC got Goals tonight,he can't scratch them in case Nieto or Harkins return this week.
Noticed that Sully just had to take Puustinen off the line in favor of Acciari to protect the lead late in the 3rd. lol Sully can't help himself.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

A 6 Goal Game from the Pens.2 this week,16 Goals in the last 3 Games.
Ned with a solid game,outside of the 1st Goal he was on it.
Sid had his best game since the West Coast Trip,he was strong in every area.
Pens Defense were decent and the Forwards were good on both their Forecheck and Back Checking.
Overall a nice 60 Minute Effort and good win.

Its too bad this Pens group gave up their shot at the Playoffs with the games squandered due to the PP and 5 blown losses spitting up leads in the 3rd Period.
The fringe Eastern Conference Playoff Teams-Detroit,Isles,Caps,Buffalo and NJ aren't anything beyond mediocre.Should have had no issue finding a way to outperform them.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

There are 31 teams looking for Mike Sullivan.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Look out Flyers. Their next 5 games are with Toronto, Carolina, Boston, Florida and the Rangers. They could quickly be joining the mediocre club.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Yes. Please. Really liking what Bunting has brought to the forward mix. A missing element for sure.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Maestro wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:00 pm There are 31 teams looking for Mike Sullivan.
There may be 31 teams looking for the "idea" of a Mike Sullivan (though I highly doubt it). I would love for one of them to get the opportunity with the real thing and see how that works out for them.

I really have to wonder what anyone could think that he is adding to the organization at this point.

He's not motivating players (but, but, they're professionals and an experienced team so they shouldn't need motivation). He's not developing players (If a young player makes any mistake they are benched, scratched, or so limited in ice time that they cannot accomplish anything). He is not disciplining players for poor play (unless they are one of the few, aformentioned, young players... veterans get a free pass). He doesn't often attempt to change non-productive lines until forced to do so due to injury, or trade.

What do his proponents think he is still bringing to this team that is so unique that it isn't worth trying a new voice or tactic?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Maestro wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:00 pm There are 31 teams looking for Mike Sullivan.
While I get your point, it’s a bit of hyperbole since quite a few teams have really good coaches. That said, if he was fired the day after the season ends there might be a few teams that fire their coach just to get him.

Just because he’s a good coach doesn’t mean he’s still a good fit for this roster. NJ seems like the Penguins when they were younger, Sullivan would probably make them a championship team.

Sullivan being a good coach overall and not a good coach for the Penguins can both be true. There is a reason coaches have a shelf life. There is also a reason that few coaches get past almost a decade of playoff futility. Sullivan leaving would be great for him and great for the franchise, that doesn’t make it a negative just a modern sports reality.
Last edited by Daniel on Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

“I don’t think that there needs to be any discussion about Mike,”
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Daniel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 pm
While I get your point, it’s a bit of hyperbole since quite a few teams have really good coaches. That said, if he was fired the day after the season ends there might be a few teams that fire their coach just to get him.

Just because he’s a good coach doesn’t mean he’s still a good fit for this roster. NJ seems like the Penguins when they were younger, Sullivan would probably make them a championship team.

Sullivan being a good coach overall and not a good coach for the Penguins can both be true. There is a reason coaches have a shelf life. There is also a reason that few coaches get past almost a decade of playoff futility. Sullivan leaving would be great for him and great for the franchise, that doesn’t make it a negative just a modern sports reality.
I wanted him fired for 4 straight years. Just channeling my inner Dubas.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Maestro wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:22 pm
Daniel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 pm

I wanted him fired for 4 straight years. Just channeling my inner Dubas.
I get that and it sure seems like he’s both wanting to win one last time but fails to realize it’s a losing formula. Honestly I think this year is different. How do you go get a guy like Karlsson, have improved defense to take goaltending out of the negatives, and still possibly end up with a lottery pick? This team might be fighting for 100 points and playoff positioning with a PP that’s to its capabilities.