Dubas gives himself an out with Sullivan.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dubas gives himself an out with Sullivan.

Post by KG »

Three Stars wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:43 am
I don’t think Sullivan is the problem, but it’s safe to say his message hasn’t gotten through to the team this season, which is a major concern.
Here’s Josh Yohe’s opinion from his mailbag. He seems to be either throwing the players under the bus for not processing the message, or is blaming the roster construction as not being conducive to the coach’s plan.
When the message is stale that's when a coaching change typically occurs. That's where the saying "you can't fire the team so you fire the coach" comes from. It's amazing that the Pittsburgh media just can't get to grips that it's time to move on. Good coaches are hired and fired in the NHL more so than any other league.

I think (hope) that FSG/KD and Sullivan come up with a parting in the off-season but it won't be him getting "fired". I could see former Pens AGM Fitzgerald going all in for Sullivan this summer. with the Devils. Maybe the Pens let the Devils take over Sully's contract, or work out some type of arrangement to where FSG isn't on the hook to pay Sullivan. There's a way to make it happen. Again this isn't some novel/new idea to move on from a cup winning coach.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:16 pm
Three Stars wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:43 am
I don’t think Sullivan is the problem, but it’s safe to say his message hasn’t gotten through to the team this season, which is a major concern.
Here’s Josh Yohe’s opinion from his mailbag. He seems to be either throwing the players under the bus for not processing the message, or is blaming the roster construction as not being conducive to the coach’s plan.
When the message is stale that's when a coaching change typically occurs. That's where the saying "you can't fire the team so you fire the coach" comes from. It's amazing that the Pittsburgh media just can't get to grips that it's time to move on. Good coaches are hired and fired in the NHL more so than any other league.

I think (hope) that FSG/KD and Sullivan come up with a parting in the off-season but it won't be him getting "fired". I could see former Pens AGM Fitzgerald going all in for Sullivan this summer. with the Devils. Maybe the Pens let the Devils take over Sully's contract, or work out some type of arrangement to where FSG isn't on the hook to pay Sullivan. There's a way to make it happen. Again this isn't some novel/new idea to move on from a cup winning coach.
Yet, they keep saying over and over again that he’s not going anywhere. That in and of itself is highly unusual, and implies that there’s something that we are not privy to in the dynamic of the team. My thought is that they’re sick of bowing to the players’ whims in situations like this, as there’s not enough upside to this team to expect much out of a coaching change…unless they plan on stripping the roster down to the studs.

The quote at the beginning of this thread is the first hint that Dubas has even considered the possibility of moving on.

The non-Dejan media doesn’t seem too enthusiastic about getting rid of him, either, which implies that they know something that the fans don’t.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Kingerski can be a dork sometimes, but, this is a pretty good article by him regarding Sullivan and his future.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/mike-su ... questions/
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:05 pm Kingerski can be a dork sometimes, but, this is a pretty good article by him regarding Sullivan and his future.

I trust that’ll put an end to the whole “Sullivan hasn’t changed his system in 8 years!!” narrative.

Kingerski calls out the fans on their BS, so I enjoy his work.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:05 pm Kingerski can be a dork sometimes, but, this is a pretty good article by him regarding Sullivan and his future.

I enjoyed the dork comment. Don't hear that word every day :D

Kingerski is too much of a Sullivan apologist for my liking but I appreciate his work.
VA Fan

Post by VA Fan »

While I agree with much of what Dan Kingerski said.

I am getting sick of the player selections are all the GM’s doing. Sullivan has a type of player he wants, particularly in the bottom 6. He has not changed that desire for this type of player at all. Sullivan loves veterans. Because his comments are always I know what I can expect from them.

I won’t accept that Sullivan’s desires are not a heavy factor in how the roster is built and I would like someone in the media to actually acknowledge that.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Down from that link, is another article focusing in on Malkin's thoughts. I wonder if player emotions are equal when a HC is released during the season, especially one who has lost the room and respect of the players? The post coaching change bounce.

"Maybe now after the trade deadline the guys will not feel pressure anymore and play a little more relaxed and everybody plays better. Who knows?"