Kingerski

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Kingerski

Post by Sigwolf »

Three Stars wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:30 pm
When did a former LGP mod become such a schill? Kingerski as some almighty expert? Sullivan as some unapproachable, and unquestionable god? Seriously man, give it a rest. There are obvious long term issues with this team. Please stop attacking everyone that dares to question the Wizard... especially when the entirety of your recent posting history offers nothing more than... "you're a stupid internet poster, how dare you question the geniuses running this organization?"
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Sigwolf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:36 pmWhen did a former LGP mod become such a schill? Kingerski as some almighty expert? Sullivan as some unapproachable, and unquestionable god? Seriously man, give it a rest. There are obvious long term issues with this team. Please stop attacking everyone that dares to question the Wizard... especially when the entirety of your recent posting history offers nothing more than... "you're a stupid internet poster, how dare you question the geniuses running this organization?"
:lol:

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Three Stars wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:38 am
Sigwolf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:36 pmWhen did a former LGP mod become such a schill? Kingerski as some almighty expert? Sullivan as some unapproachable, and unquestionable god? Seriously man, give it a rest. There are obvious long term issues with this team. Please stop attacking everyone that dares to question the Wizard... especially when the entirety of your recent posting history offers nothing more than... "you're a stupid internet poster, how dare you question the geniuses running this organization?"
:lol:

Oh sorry, wrong image. :lol: :lol:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:03 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:26 pm
Three Stars wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:13 am
Pens4Life wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 am You gotta give guys at least 20 games to see what you have, not two periods or 5 games with 6min TOI..
No, you don’t. Not at all. Serious organizations don’t do that.

If you’re a young guy trying to make it, you have to make the most of your opportunities no matter how small they are. You gotta show something during your limited time that forces the issue. You don’t get greater opportunities because the fans whine about it.

Sam Poulin has shown no indication that he’s ready for 20 games, so the only instance in which they’d give him 20 games is one in which they simply have no choice. Then you turn into the Buffalo Sabres.
Sully is that you?? :lol: oh gotcha.. Poulin had 20min to prove himself.. big sample size indeed! I hope you never will be coach in any sports :face:
Three Stars is correct. No way can you give a prospect 10-15-20 games to see what he can do. That's all decided in the minors. If he can't do it in the minors, he'll never do it in the NHL. Nobody ever plays average in the AHL but plays better in the NHL. Never happened in the history of the game. Nobody ever plays great in the AHL only to totally flame out at the NHL level. Seeing in a guy in the minors tells a team everything they need to know about a player. :face: :roll:

This is all part of the larger problem with the NHL growing its game. The game and the systems in use have advanced, just like in any sport, and just like in other sports...those advances aren't necessarily for the better longevity of the game. The NHL and MLB have the lowest draft success rate of the 4 major sports. In terms of the NHL, goons are all but gone from 30+ years ago, guys that can't skate can't hang in today's faster paced game, guys that can rip shots and pick corners but suck at defense can't hold down a regular job anymore. In a nutshell, the overall talent pool of the league is very shallow...and Bettman still wants to add more teams.

Back in the 80s and 90s, pre-cap era, a guy played well in the minors, you had an injury, the guy earned a callup. Today's game, sorry Mr. 4th rounder, you've got to show us 1st round abilities to earn a callup, you need a hat trick in one of your first 3 games saddled with Jeff Carter and Noel Acciari, otherwise you just can't cut it in this league.

If it was me, I spent organizational resources, scouting, development time for usually 3-6 years on a player/asset...I'd think I want to do my due dilligence with a player. Now, that's not saying that EVERYONE deserves a chance...but when you've got guys that were at one point slotted as your top prospects, and you can't give them a dozen games at the NHL...maybe the player isn't the problem.
Rarely it happens yes,that a player is average in AHL,but better in NHL.. sometimes its just depends on system and coach and player breaks out in different enviroment,even in tougher league.

About game samples size, again it depens.. sure 15 games of 10min per game is good enough to see what a player can do.. I wrote 20 GP because Sully gives a lot of times 5-6min TOI.. thats nothing.. thats 7-8 shifts per game.. LOL, you cant evaluate like that. Also if your linemates suck hard,you are in bad position already to dig out of the defensive period or something similar..

It depends on a lot of factor, but No,thats not the proper way to see if a player will be NHL player or not.. Give him 15games, 10min per game, 12-14 shifts somewhere.. I'm talking about young guys,not some 27yrs old waiver pickup.. or someone like Phillips (still mindblowing pickup)..